Looking for opinions on Power Amp & DAC/Preamp to go with Spatial M3 Turbo S

reillyzing

I'm just about set on the Spatial M3 Turbo speakers but am undecided on amp and DAC.
NuPrime's amps and DACs look like good options. For my taste in music of '60s-'90s rock, it was suggested that I go with the neutral NuPrime ST-10 amp and slightly warm DAC-9.
Now I'm also looking at the Audio By Van Alstine Synergy 450 amp, which has tube-like qualities. Would it be a good match with the neutral NuPrime DAC-10?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
What's your budget?  What preamp are you using?

I am currently using a Vinnie Rossi LIO with the amp, dac, and DHT modules.

It is an OUTSTANDING combination.

The M3's will definitely reveal what your other equipment is capable of delivering, so you want to keep that in mind.

George

reillyzing

The preamp would come from the NuPrime DAC-10 or DAC-9..I haven't thought of a strict budget, but if I'm to go with the Spatial M3 Turbo S, an amp around $2,000 is ok. The Van Alstine Synergy 450 is $2,000.

Synergy 450
225 watts/channel for more listening pleasure. Rock solid dynamics with 12 active regulated power supplies.

Synergy 450. 225 watts per channel 20 to 20 kHz into 8 ohms at less than 0.01% THD. 17" wide, 13" deep, 7" high. Shipping weight 38 pounds. All new AVA designed black chassis with black anodized faceplate and high efficiency black anodized extruded rear mounted heat sinks with 8 TO-3 case power MOSFET double die output devices. For 2 ohm loads and up.

reillyzing

Anyone, what do you think of a Van Alstine Synergy 450 amp and NuPrime DAC-10 for M3 Turbo S?

dspringham

If you're serious about the NuPrime DAC10, then I would suggest going with the companion ST-10 amplifier. They share the same physical form factor and whether you stack them side by side or one on top of the other they make a handsome looking, compact pair. Very nice fit/finish and build quality.

Regarding performance - excellent for the price... smooth while detailed, neutral with great tone density, electronically "tomb" quiet.

I run this combo with my Daedalus speakers and they sound excellent. I'm close to pulling the pin on a pair of Spatial M4 Turbo S and I know the NuPrime would be a terrific source.

Dave

reillyzing

If you're serious about the NuPrime DAC10, then I would suggest going with the companion ST-10 amplifier. They share the same physical form factor and whether you stack them side by side or one on top of the other they make a handsome looking, compact pair. Very nice fit/finish and build quality.

Regarding performance - excellent for the price... smooth while detailed, neutral with great tone density, electronically "tomb" quiet.

I run this combo with my Daedalus speakers and they sound excellent. I'm close to pulling the pin on a pair of Spatial M4 Turbo S and I know the NuPrime would be a terrific source.

Dave
Since I only listen to 60s-90s rock, which tends to have less than stellar recording quality, I was advised not to go with the very neutral ST-10 and DAC-10 combination. The same people recommended I go with the ST-10 amp and slightly warm DAC-9.
But now the Audio By Van Alstine Synergy 450 amp also has my interest as a possible good match with the DAC-10.

zybar

• Volunteer
Since I only listen to 60s-90s rock, which tends to have less than stellar recording quality, I was advised not to go with the very neutral ST-10 and DAC-10 combination. The same people recommended I go with the ST-10 amp and slightly warm DAC-9.
But now the Audio By Van Alstine Synergy 450 amp also has my interest as a possible good match with the DAC-10.

I listen to tons of 60-90's rock with my M3's and I strongly suggest trying to get the best equipment possible in terms of transparency, detail, presence, etc...

IMHO, you DO NOT need to get "warm" sounding gear to play rock on the M3's.  A warm sounding amp won't mke the really bad recordings listenable and it could negatively impact the good to great recordings.

My gear is very resolving and musical and albums from Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, Grateful Dead, Led Zep, Pearl Jam, U2, etc...all can sound good to great depending on the recording. 

George

A

reillyzing

I listen to tons of 60-90's rock with my M3's and I strongly suggest trying to get the best equipment possible in terms of transparency, detail, presence, etc...

IMHO, you DO NOT need to get "warm" sounding gear to play rock on the M3's.  A warm sounding amp won't mke the really bad recordings listenable and it could negatively impact the good to great recordings.

My gear is very resolving and musical and albums from Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, Grateful Dead, Led Zep, Pearl Jam, U2, etc...all can sound good to great depending on the recording. 

George

A
Thanks, appreciate that your opinion is in contrast to others I've gotten...Have you played any Beatles or Nirvana on your M3's?
I also listen to a lot of Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Floyd and U2.

zybar

• Volunteer
Thanks, appreciate that your opinion is in contrast to others I've gotten...Have you played any Beatles or Nirvana on your M3's?
I also listen to a lot of Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Floyd and U2.

Yes....lots!

Just to be clear...bad recordings sound bad.

I simply listen to them in the car, at the gym, etc...not on one of my Hi-Fi rigs.

Between hi-Rez, re-issues/remasters, etc...lots of rock that originally sounded terrible when transferred to cd now sounds much better.

George
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2016, 11:40 pm by zybar »

JackD

reillyzing

When you originally posed these questions in another thread you were pointed toward the 10 series combo initially.  You were the one that was concerned about the neutrality due to your music preferences and thus were given another option. The description of the DAD-9 as "warmer" was simply a convenient description as a contrast to its AKM chip as opposed to the "detail first" ESS chip.  The AKM chips are used by many companies and are simply the yang to the ESS's ying. The AKM chip albeit a lower model is what is used in the DAC board for the LIO.  The ST-10 is neutral and works great with the Spatials which in all but a small room need the head room in my opinion.  As George said no equipment will correct the abysmal recording and mastering work on most of the more popular music from that era.  With many of them the "remastered" versions are no better only more expensive.  Even the like of Bob Ludwig can't fix a bad master. At 62 I grew up buying and listening to the music you are talking about and if it sounds good I listen to it on one of the main systems.  If not it goes on the Ipod and I listen to it during my daily walk.  If you can't decide which one then buy from someplace with an return policy like AA.