Single Amp Open Baffle

jreb14

Single Amp Open Baffle
« on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:21 pm »
I am new to this but I would like to build an open baffle system with a single receiver and not tri amping the speaker.     Is there a solution to build a decent 3 way with out the need for multiple amps?   I like the GR Research Super V shape but I want a three way sub, mid, and tweeter for this design.  What would you recommend?  I mostly listen to rock  & blues type music.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649252249-gr-research-super-vs/images/1148339/

richidoo

Re: Single Amp Open Baffle
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2016, 09:17 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Jreb!

Check out Hawthorne Audio for parts/kit to do what you want, and also Troels Graveson OB-15 speaker kit.

If you want to design from scratch, the AE Speakers Dipole series of driver is intended for open baffle use and are very high quality speakers.

To learn a little about crossover design, read the loudspeaker cookbook, or search for crossover design articles on the web. Crossover is the heart of the speaker, make or break, and there are lots of non-intuitive concepts to understand and blend together to find a make a good design.
Rich

nicoch

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2016, 09:50 pm »
read some of the mjk work
http://www.quarter-wave.com/

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2016, 10:41 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. jreb14

Guy 13

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:39 pm »
The Super Vs are a three way.....woofers in the H frame and the PAudio driver up top is a co-axial.....mid and tweeter in the same frame.
The nice thing is that you only need one amplifier, the servo subs have their own, with equalization and many options to help integrate them to your room.

You cant purchase the PAudio co-ax any longer, but if your interested I would sell mine along with the x-overs.
The servo subs are staying......but you can purchase them from GR.
Check out my gallery and give me a PM if your interested.

Perry

nicoch

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:43 am »
why tree ways ?    full range+ 15"  is a new revolution a really good sound  :thumb:

sonicxtc

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2016, 02:22 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Jreb!

Check out Hawthorne Audio for parts/kit to do what you want, and also Troels Graveson OB-15 speaker kit.
+1

Richidoo knows a lot more about the specifics of crossover design than I do, but here's a second thumbs up for Hawthorne. I can vouch that their 15" SSI driver is a great coaxial. Driven by almost any electronics they will provide full range sound; driven by better amps and power cords, you will NOT have any grand desire for ANY subwoofers! I speak from actual experience having owned Hawthorne Trios for a few years.
Even without the Augies (subwoofers), the Trios produce deep well defined bass. I'd keep it simple: a pair of SSI driver with Darrel's (Hawthorne) simple crossover (which he populates with high end Mundorfs, etc.) will produce thunderous sound and because they are very efficient you can run everything from SETs to NCores. Contact Darrel. He's one of the nicest guys in the audio business and will guide you without any BS.

why tree ways ?    full range+ 15"  is a new revolution a really good sound  :thumb:

Agreed. And, you can always add subs IF you wish.

nicoch

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:57 pm »
 big coax have compromised  mid.....