Camera Recommendation Please

Don_S

Camera Recommendation Please
« on: 28 Mar 2015, 07:43 pm »
I currently have a Sony DSC-H5.  It resembles a small DSLR except the lens is not interchangeable.  It is almost 9 years old.  Somewhat dated technology--only 12X zoom.  It still works as good as new and takes great pictures with the Carl Zeiss lens. F2.8-37 focal length 6-72. It is perfect for a lot of what I do.

But (there is always a but  :lol:)  I am going on a small-ship cruise (66 passengers) in Alaska's inner coves.  There will be opportunities to hike, kayak, ride in a skiff, and view from on-deck.  I would like a camera in the same size/style I have but with more zoom.

Companies seem to have gotten into a pissing contest trying to "out-zoom" the competition to the point where zooming is slow and focus is slow and sloppy.  Users report disappointing picture quality. 

I looked at two Sony cameras with 35X and 50X zoom. Customer comments were not favorable. The less expensive camera (Sony DSC-H300) appears to be the current version of my camera but downgraded to a Sony lens and no viewfinder. It is closer to my price point so I am leaning toward it.  I need to study it more.

Any suggestions of other cameras or experience with that Sony or the DSC-HX300 or Sony H400?  I want more zoom but I do not crave the max.  What I need is a camera that will get the job done with a minimum of fuss under challenging conditions. I do not want a brick to carry while hiking.  I also do not want to risk too much money to Alaska weather. 

Thank you.

newzooreview

Re: Camera Recommendation Please
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2015, 09:34 pm »
Lumix FZ-1000 -- 16x zoom

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfz1000

Lumix TZ-60 -- 30x zoom

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs40

I haven't used these specific models, but I have liked the Lumix cameras I've owned.

I would be inclined to go with the FZ-1000. A 16x zoom is already a compromise in image quality, so going to a smaller, cheaper camera with a 30x zoom would stretch the bounds of useable performance in my opinion.

It really depends--if you are just sharing photos online and not printing for framing at home then the 30x zoom may be fine.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2015, 09:49 pm »
A 30x zoom is equivalent to a 1500mm lens on 35mm, completely impossible to hold steady.  Nuckin' futz, IMO   :duh:

But are we talking optical zooms (12x should be PLENTY!) or digital? If digital, you can get the same effect by cropping the image tighter on your laptop.

Consider a newer camera for improved image quality over a long-range zoom.

Last year I spent time along the Normandy D-Day beaches, and my 10x (500mm on a D800) was more than I ever needed.  And I like long-range shooting….

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2015, 12:02 am »
i thought the same thing when my coworker asked me about the camera.  but, he went ahead and got it anyways and proved me wrong. i was able to take blur free photos at 30x zoom.  it's all in the image stabilization.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2015, 04:58 pm »
Thanks guys.  The FZ-1000 is definitely out of my price range.  I am having a problem spending too much because my current camera works just fine for most of what I want to do.  I only miss a longer focal length when I go on vacation.

Some of the comments confused me.  This is what is marked on my current lens.  Carl Zeiss 2.8-3.7/6-72.  12X zoom is optical.  It also has digital zoom but that is for after the picture is taken, correct?

Anyway, I get that the f-stop ranges from 2.8-3.7 depending on what focal length is used. I do not get the 6-72 focal length.  6mm is ultra-wide and 72mm is not that long. Last time I played with those numbers was with a 35mm with a 50mm lens plus two zoom lenses. I am having trouble relating the numbers.

On sony.com the DSC-H300/B lens picture shows 4.5-157.5 (that is 15X) but the specs list focal length as 25-875.  25-875 makes sense to my 35mm-trained brain. What are the numbers on the lens?

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:07 pm »
The 6-72 has nothing to do with 35mm focal lengths because your sensor is much smaller that 24x36mm,  it probably is the 35mm equivalent of 24mm-300mm, but that's just a guess.  Could be more like 20mm to 240mm

18-55mm lenses on DX cameras are equal to 28-80mm on a 35mm camera.  A 6mm lens would be so wide it'd probably take a photo of your back pocket while you are looking straight ahead.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2015, 05:45 pm »
  A 6mm lens would be so wide it'd probably take a photo of your back pocket while you are looking straight ahead.

The ultimate "selfie".  I do have a cute butt.   :jester:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2015, 07:38 pm »
The ultimate "selfie".  I do have a cute butt.   :jester:

Is that what people mean when they say your "better half"?   :lol:

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm »
Thanks guys.  The FZ-1000 is definitely out of my price range.

25-875 makes sense to my 35mm-trained brain. What are the numbers on the lens?

What is your price range?

In digital camera marketing materials, the lens focal length is given in measurements equivalent to what you would be familiar with from 35mm. However, the lens on the digital camera does show the actual focal length in millimeters (e.g. the distance from the front of the lens to the film/sensor plane). That distance is usually shorter than it would have been for a film camera (35 mm). That's because the digital camera sensors are often smaller than the 35mm film frame. If you think of the cone of light coming out of the back of the lens, the smaller film (digital sensor) has to be closer to the lens to get the same angle of view as a 35mm film frame.

geowak

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:29 pm »
Lumix FZ-1000 -- 16x zoom

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfz1000

Lumix TZ-60 -- 30x zoom

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs40

I haven't used these specific models, but I have liked the Lumix cameras I've owned.

I would be inclined to go with the FZ-1000. A 16x zoom is already a compromise in image quality, so going to a smaller, cheaper camera with a 30x zoom would stretch the bounds of useable performance in my opinion.

It really depends--if you are just sharing photos online and not printing for framing at home then the 30x zoom may be fine.

I can agree here. Many people don't know that Panasonic Lumix cameras are very good. Leica and Panasonic have teamed up on many of the Lumix models, so many have Leica lenses on them! I have a Leica V-Lux 1 and it always gives me better pics than my Canon xti with an L-lens! I have the V-Lux 1, but I would love to get a V-Lux 4. Check it out, it's an awesome camera, even though it does not have a full frame sensor or interchangeable lenses.