Bedroom system suggestions?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Bedroom system suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Mar 2015, 09:48 pm »
Unfortunately most quality, inexpensive DACs that would fit nicely into your budget are USB input only, but I can recommend the Schiit BiFrost ($349 MSRP, upgradable).  They do show up on the used market.

If you go with efficient speakers (like $600/pair Omega 3i or $650/pair Tekton Mini-Lore), it opens the door to using one of the small integrated amp/DACs ($500 - 800, 20 - 50 wpc at 4 ohms) that have recently come on the scene (and accept more digital formats) like:

- NAD D3020
- Sony UDA-1
- Teac AI-301 DA

or use a DAC like the Schiit and add an integrated under $1000 such as Audioengine N22, Dared 2A3, Decware Select, Rega Biro R, or Wadia 151.

Unfortunately significantly more powerful/better quality integrated amps, DACs, or integrated amp/DACs with comparable speakers would blow your budget.

But another route would be to look at a DAC/pre-amp with active speakers.  Good DAC/pre-amps include Teac UD-501 ($800, nearly all possible digital formats) and Wadia 121 ($500 street price, quality older design - only up to 24/96 PCM).  Good active speakers in this price range for desktop/room for home entertainment or studio use include Adam 3AX, Adam F5, Focal CMS 40, and Focal CMS 50.

Keep in mind that these are would offer what Sterephile would call "Class C" sound quality (you can search to see how much class A/B cost). 
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2015, 11:24 pm by JLM »

Stubies

« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2015, 09:59 pm »
Unfortunately most quality, inexpensive DACs that would fit nicely into your budget are USB input only, but I can recommend the Schiit BiFrost ($349, upgradable).

Hmmm, with that price, it might be better to get the KEF x300A Wireless - those speakers are Airplay compatible, so no need for the DAC (or the AE)

Then... i would like to hear them before such a pricy commitment...

JLM

« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2015, 01:54 am »
I like the KEF X300A (coaxial drivers, built-in DAC, size, sound).  But it is a niche product:

1.)  Inputs are limited to - digital via USB up to only 24/96 PCM (out-of-date versus comparable products); or analog via 3.5 mm plug (a rather poor quality connection typically associated with earbuds or cheap headphones) in addition this analog signal would require an extra D/A conversion such as through Airport Express); or AirPlay (lesser reliability and sound quality).

2.)  Can't use digital output from Airport Express without optical to USB conversion (and then limited by the Airport Express to 16/44 PCM).

3.)  No subwoofer output (F3 is stated as 58 Hz - not all that low to live with), to use a sub the entire analog signal would have to go to the sub and a high-passed portion of the analog signal passed to the 3.5 mm analog input.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 05:18 pm by JLM »

stinky5

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2015, 02:03 am »
I have the A2 and the Audioengine DAC and I have been pleased with the set. You could run the airport directly to the speakers, but I think the DAC sounds better. Upgrade the speakers to the A5, and/or add the subwoofer if you need the volume. I also have the Adam F5's, have used them with the Audioengine DAC, and it was a step up from the A2's

Stubies

« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2015, 02:08 am »
Hello, Stuart.

First off....welcome to AC!

Funny you should mention the D7s. I just heard them for a few minutes this afternoon at a dealer in Portland, OR. I only listened for a few minutes, but they sounded quite nice. They have that warm British sound that is often heard in the Harbeths, Proacs, Spendors, PMC, etc. the D7s are able to reach for a bit lower bass thanks to the passive radiator below the mid woofer.

I didn't have time to stick around for a good listen, but it was enough to know they're pleasant sounding speakers.

Michael

Michael

Thought i would share the results.  The Spendor s5e + the Little Italy tube amp did the trick - its a great combination and COMPLETELY eliminates the listening fatigue.  Although the Little Italy amp is only about 10 watts - its strong enough to fill a large room and some outdoor area well at normal listening levels - it will not rock your world however, since the speakers are not so efficient (the D7s are about 10db more efficient - and then that was plenty loud to really rock)  The D7s were definitely better, but they do cost 10x as much!!

The combination is really a relief - I'm deeply happy i can enjoy music again!

As a note: the Spendor speakers with an NAD 370 amp were still a bit harsh - so the tube amp was really key to the result.

Now that the living room is done (and the theory of the tube amp reducing listening fatigue is proven) - I'm will now try out some similar/smaller combinations in the bedroom.

JLM

« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2015, 02:23 am »
Too late, but heard the $599 Napa system (tube pre/25 wpc solid state integrated + small speakers) at Axpona last weekend.  2 inputs plus Bluetooth.  My happiest surprise of the show.  With no sins of commission it outperformed most of the $$$ systems and some of the $$$$ systems there. 

Performed well in a larger than residentially ordinary room.  Most enjoyable!!
« Last Edit: 3 May 2015, 11:58 am by JLM »

navrsale

« Reply #26 on: 31 Oct 2018, 02:36 pm »
Hello, Stuart.

First off....welcome to AC!

Funny you should mention the D7s. I just heard them for a few minutes this afternoon at a dealer in Portland, OR. I only listened for a few minutes, but they sounded quite nice. They have that warm British sound that is often heard in the Harbeths, Proacs, Spendors, PMC, etc. the D7s are able to reach for a bit lower bass thanks to the passive radiator below the mid woofer.

I didn't have time to stick around for a good listen, but it was enough to know they're pleasant sounding speakers.

Just prior to the D7, I got to listen to Focal Scala V2 Utopias powered by top of the line SimAudio equipment and the Auralic Vega DAC for about 30 minutes. If only I had $35k sitting around (just for the speakers!)....those speakers sound amazing.

On to your bedroom system. The above suggestions are excellent indeed. I can't fault any of them. Nonetheless, I'd like to throw out a couple ideas:

Have you thought about using powered speakers? The first that come to my mind are made by Vanatoo or Kanto (sp?). For about $500 you get pretty decent sound from speakers that plug right into your computer. If you desire better sound, there are self-powered studio monitors that easily get into the over $1000 range. I have not compared these, but I have looked into them in the recent past since I sometimes wish for a bedroom system in a vacation home. Most of the brands have run off out of my brain, but Adam, KRK, Genelec, Neumann, and Focal seem right. There are many choices in the sub-$2000 level.

Have fun researching possibilities. I sure do when I'm looking for this or that component.

Michael

Do you remember which particular Simaudio high end was used and which cables?