PS3 - Downgrading Firmware to 3.55

strat95

PS3 - Downgrading Firmware to 3.55
« on: 7 Jun 2013, 02:58 am »
Hello,

I know this subject has been discussed but I was just looking on Kijiji for used PS3 Fat consoles and ran across this listing:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-video-games-consoles-Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-Slim-FAT-Firmware-Downgrade-Service-Downgrade-to-3-55-W0QQAdIdZ456079110

Has anyone heard more about this and more importantly has anyone tried it out?

This could be a great way to get to SACD ripping for cheap... +about $100 for the firmware downgrade, cheaper at least than units that already have the correct firmware and SACD capability.

TV

edit... I just recalled a post a while back about soldering directly to the chip to rollback the firmware, perhaps that's what they are doing here?

Phil A

Re: PS3 - Downgrading Firmware to 3.55
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2013, 03:43 am »
Don't know - Googled the telephone number and this shows up - http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-905-846-0309

strat95

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2013, 03:08 pm »
Thanks Phil, you just can never tell with these types of listings on these types of sites.

I'm now wondering if there are any legitimate places that provide this type of service much like the dead PS3 fix at eFX computers?

TV

ratso

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2013, 03:47 pm »
i am still looking for a way to rip all my multichannel discs to my HTPC as i have done with all my cd's. as long as the way to do it is as convoluted as this method it will never be a viable option in the mainstream. not that multichannel music is mainstream in the first place  :o

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2013, 04:04 pm »
Thanks Phil, you just can never tell with these types of listings on these types of sites.

I'm now wondering if there are any legitimate places that provide this type of service much like the dead PS3 fix at eFX computers?

TV

There's a thread where Ted B indicates they are working on being able to roll back the firmware and I'm sure he'll post about it as soon as it happens.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2013, 04:06 pm »
i am still looking for a way to rip all my multichannel discs to my HTPC as i have done with all my cd's. as long as the way to do it is as convoluted as this method it will never be a viable option in the mainstream. not that multichannel music is mainstream in the first place  :o

The PS3 SACD solution extracts the disc image.  You can extract either stereo or multi-channel.  I have only done stereo so far as I'm being on digitizing (and more in less in process of a move) but eventually I'll extract multi-channel from discs I like.

strat95

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2013, 05:56 pm »
There's a thread where Ted B indicates they are working on being able to roll back the firmware and I'm sure he'll post about it as soon as it happens.

That's right, I recall that thread and that's why I posted that link here, in hopes there was some development on that front.

I may give them a call just for curiosity's sake.

TV

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2013, 08:48 pm »
Alternatively, you can seek out a YLOD non working PS3 with old firmware and get it re-balled for $120 in California!

That is a safer bet at the moment!