Performance difference between ripped SACD DSD vs. original DSD source

ttsakai

Hi All-

I was wondering if anyone has done any listening comparisons between DSD content which has been ripped from SACD versus original DSD sourced content of the same material? If I had to take a guess I'd assume that the original DSD sourced content would have a sound advantage over the SACD-ripped DSD content but I'm not sure this is the case, hence my question.

And if there is a difference, how big of a delta are we talking about? I realize that it will "depend" per each unique scenario but I'm just looking for some general conclusions.

Thanks!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I have only three real examples, as BlueCoast Records sells DSD downloads and SACDs, and I have two examples.  In both cases (Art Lande piano and Blue Coast ESE Vol 1) the rips and downloads are indistinguishable.  They should be, as the DSF extracts from the ISO are likely quite accurate.

In a case where the download wins, it's Eric Bibb's latest download from Opus 3's DSD Sampler volume 1.  The song is subtly ever so cleaner and fresher on the download than on my SACD rip, but i think it is due to the re-conversion of the Opus 3 catalog (analog to DSD128 to DSD64).  But you'd need to a/b them to know.  Not a big deal, but there.  The DSD128 kicks ass, though.  :)

In only one other case was I able to do something similar, but in this case the two masters are likely quite different.  Premonition Records took Patrica Barber's live album Companion, itself a 24/96 recording, and converted it to DSD before offering it as a download [Editors note:  why the hell they would sell this PCM original recording as a DSD download is wayyyy beyond me; what a lost opportunity.  They even make note of the PCM source on the website!].  Anyway....the DSD rip from my SACD of the same recording, mastered years ago, is much much better, with a lower noise floor and much better dynamics.  Weird.

PaulFolbrecht

If I had to take a guess I'd assume that the original DSD sourced content would have a sound advantage over the SACD-ripped DSD content but I'm not sure this is the case, hence my question.

I think your assumption is flawed.  All else being equal, the ripped copy should be superior, since ripping provides the opportunity for error-correction, while real-time play either does not or has lesser capability in that regard.

this_is_vv

is there any sample song one can have for PCM and DSD...

V

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
is there any sample song one can have for PCM and DSD...

Yes!

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/hfs1.htm

A free download in 16/44.1, 24/192 and DSD of Michel Godard und Steve Swallows "A Trace of Grace".

The .wav and DSD files are produced directly from the analogue mastertape of this sommelier du son-LP. The cover shows the monastery's refectory where the recording was captured.

Russ