Amp for VSA surround sound

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Amp for VSA surround sound
« on: 14 Jan 2017, 03:14 pm »
I'm planning on setting up a modest surround sound system specifically for music listening using my VR1s as fronts and TS150 dipoles as rears, along with a sub, to be determined.

Any suggestions for a good amp? A remote is a must.

My thanks in advance.

Lester

JackD201

Re: Amp for VSA surround sound
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2017, 02:57 pm »
Multichannel amp or receiver? For receivers I'm more partial to Marantz. The VR-1s and TS-150s are benign loads and the lower powered Marantz receivers are very smooth. YMMV.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2017, 04:01 pm »
Well, because I was planning on adding a sub (VR-S1) to the mix I was thinking new and multi-channel amp and I wasn't even thinking about vintage and perhaps I should have been. A friend recently acquired a HT receiver, a new Sony STR-DN1070, which he raves about.

About 10 years ago I gave my brother 3 vintage pieces which he never used and which I could ask for a return : a Pioneer Sx727, (37 wpc), a Marantz 2220 with 20 wpc and a Pioneer SA-7100 amp at 20 wpc. Which of the 3 would be a good match? I have to admit I like all 3 but wonder if they could push the TS150s + VR1 + VR-S1? Or should I just get the Sony STR-DN1070 or something else.

.... so much to learn but that's a good thing.

Thanks, Lester

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2017, 04:22 pm »
For the money the Marantz will mate well with anything.  I have the SR 7008.  It's over the top good.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR5011

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:38 pm »
I'm using a marantz pre/pro w 5 mono amps.  Whether a Receiver or Seperates, Marantz build great sounding equipment!  Agree w all..

rich58b

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2017, 01:24 am »
I have a pair of VR33's combined with a Dynaudio Contour center channel and a pair of Dynaudio surrounds. I've got a pair of Velodyne SPL 1200's that fill in the very bottom end for movies.  I would love to replace the center channel with the Von Schweikert LCR 4, but it costs almost as much as my pair of VR 33's!  My system includes an Anthem Statement D2 processor and a Statement A5 5 channel amp, and the whole things sounds pretty incredible. If I can find a McIntosh amp that I can afford, I would also love to upgrade to that. I listen to a lot of 2 channel classical music, and the VR33's are pretty wonderful given what they cost. I wonder if Albert might ever come out with a slightly lower cost center for us lower cost users.  :|

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2017, 06:10 pm »
..I realize it's borderline heresy to discuss non VSA speakers here  :lol:....but alas...I have an all ML speaker front wall: Aerius i's and Cinema ctr channel.  I mention this to point out that I feel you're much better off sticking with the same mfr for L/R/Ctr...bite the bullet and go with Albert's ctr channel speaker...my $.02

rich58b

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2017, 05:17 am »
..I realize it's borderline heresy to discuss non VSA speakers here  :lol:....but alas...I have an all ML speaker front wall: Aerius i's and Cinema ctr channel.  I mention this to point out that I feel you're much better off sticking with the same mfr for L/R/Ctr...bite the bullet and go with Albert's ctr channel speaker...my $.02

I have to say I agree with you completely! I would much prefer it was all Von Schweikert. My only problem is cost, which I'm sure is a problem that a lot of other have too! My Dynaudio center channel is only used for movies, and is a fairly good match for the VR 33's. I'm not terribly fond of the SACD format thankfully, or that center and the surrounds would have to go for sure.