Cables for Omega Super Alnico's

nature boy

Cables for Omega Super Alnico's
« on: 10 Dec 2016, 12:37 pm »
Greetings,

I am in line for a new pair of Super Alnico High Efficiency floor standers.  These will be paired with a Decware Zen Mystery amp and CSP3 preamp.

I am currently using Gregg Straley Reality Cable IC's and speaker cable in my current Decware Zen amp and older Omega Revolution (w/ 8" Alnico drivers) set up.  I'm looking for recommendations for IC and speaker cabling for my new upcoming system.  Please chime in - looking for neutrality and transparency in my cables.  I have found copper to work best with the Decware-Omega combination in the past.

Thanks.

NB

roscoe65

Re: Cables for Omega Super Alnico's
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2016, 03:32 pm »
A great choice is the Supra Classic 1.6 (https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-classic-1.6/bulk-cable-per-foot-15-awg/).  IIRC, Louis uses this for internal wiring.

Can't beat the price, and it conforms to the trendy tin-plated copper litz configuration.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2016, 04:42 pm »
Louis uses Supra Classic 2.5 (13 AWG) in his speakers. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2016, 05:18 pm »
CRL Blue Notes or CRL Bronze. CRL has disappeared, but most CRL cables are still available through...( art@twisted-pair-design.com) I also have the Supra 3.4 Ply, but slightly prefer the CRL's.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2016, 05:31 pm »
Oops, just noticed the post applies to the Alnico's, not Omega's in general.( I have RS5 based Omega's )That said, the CRL cables I mentioned are OFC copper and should be a good match for any of the Omega's.)

Jazzaudio

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2016, 07:33 pm »
I have the Supra Ply 3.4W (along with other cables), and it is very nice! It is the wide/flattened version of the 3.4   

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2016, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.  I was glad to learn about the Supra cables, nothing like synergy with Lou's  internal speaker wiring.  Mick, I used CRL bronze power cords in the past.  Excellent stuff, but extremely stiff, at least the earlier versions (15 yrs. ago?).  Never had a chance to listen to their speaker cable and IC's though.

Glad to see I can get unterminated bulk Supra cable from Madisound.  This will allow be to A-B against my Reality Cables from Gregg Straley, if I make a change out.

NB

roscoe65

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2016, 09:37 pm »

Thanks for the correction Rob.  That might be a deal breaker for OP - $1.68/ft vs. $1.04/ft.  The extra $12 per pair might break the bank.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2016, 11:47 pm »
I was fortunate enough to find some of the WE16GA a while back and made these cables for the Omega SAMs.  Just for bragging rights though, the word is that the Supra Classic is as good or better.  Same design, newer materials.

.........Peter

doggie

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2016, 05:43 am »
I was fortunate enough to find some of the WE16GA a while back and made these cables for the Omega SAMs.  Just for bragging rights though, the word is that the Supra Classic is as good or better.  Same design, newer materials.

+1

Or better yet the new Duelund DCA16ga from PartsConnexion. A modern version of the Western Electric. I am using it with my super Alnico High Outputs. I even rewired the speakers with it.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2016, 10:24 pm by doggie »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:37 am »
+1

Or better yet the new Duelund DCA16ga from PartsConnexion. A modern version of the Western Electric. I am using it with my super Alnico High Outputs. I even retired the speakers with it.

Ahh, yes, that's the one I was thinking of.  Thanks.

sruffle

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2016, 03:18 pm »
I have been very pleased with Zenwave cables.  I tried both their lower price and top of the line SCs with my Super Alnicos and found both to be very good.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm »

Are you sure??

My buddy had an email correspondence with Louis just this past July and Louis told him he uses Supra Rondo 2 x 2.5mm (13AWG).

Which one is it?    :scratch:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2017, 04:46 am »
Just confirmed with him on the phone the other day, it's 2.5 Classic (13 AWG).

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2017, 02:34 pm »
Just confirmed with him on the phone the other day, it's 2.5 Classic (13 AWG).

Hmmmm, strange.....

My buddy just forwarded me the email and Louis clearly states it's the other model.  He even attached a link to it on the Madisound website.

Maybe too much wine with dinner?     :lol:

Thanks for the clarification.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2017, 05:38 pm »
sunnydaze,

I'm not a drunk; in fact I don't even drink alcoholic beverages.  I got my information about his internal wiring from Louis just the other day. He may have used Rhondo in the past or maybe for a special order.  Call Louis and ask him, and settle the question in your mind.

As an Omega dealer of about 8 years, I am in constant communication with him, and know what he is doing with his products before the public even gets a hint of what he's up to.  I'm also his webmaster.

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2017, 06:38 pm »
sunnydaze,

I'm not a drunk; in fact I don't even drink alcoholic beverages.  I got my information about his internal wiring from Louis just the other day. He may have used Rhondo in the past or maybe for a special order.  Call Louis and ask him, and settle the question in your mind.

As an Omega dealer of about 8 years, I am in constant communication with him, and know what he is doing with his products before the public even gets a hint of what he's up to.  I'm also his webmaster.

Sorry Rob....you misunderstood me.

I was referring to Louis and wine...and it was a joke!

And my friend did exactly as you suggest.   He contacted Louis and he replied with a different model.  I've seen the email.  And that is directly from the horse's mouth, just as you say your info is.  So I found the discrepancy odd.  That's all. 

Not besmirching you or anyone else. Someone obviously made a mistake.  Is there any other conclusion?  I have no way to know who's correct.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 9 Feb 2017, 07:19 pm »
Louis said yesterday he wouldn't be in the shop today due to very bad weather being forecasted, so I've emailed him asking him to come on here and clarify.

roscoe65

« Reply #18 on: 9 Feb 2017, 07:42 pm »
It would be simple enough to crack open a speaker and look if one were so inclined.  The Classic 2.5 is comprised of 2.5mm parallel bundles while the Rondo 2.5 is a twisted pair with jacket.  Intuitively, the latter would be superior (and is advertised as such by Supra).  In the case of internal wiring the cost difference (assuming Louis pays retail at Madisound) would be about $4.00 per pair of speakers.  If I were selling them it would be what I would choose, but Louis is far more experienced and talented than I am so I would defer to his choices.

EDIT:  I'm snowed in by the same storm Louis is.  I live 17 miles from Louis as the crow flies, but a 62 mile drive.

doggie

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2017, 03:05 am »

My Super Alnico High Output speakers came with Supra Classic 2.5. They were made sometime last year.