and
bryston

all lower case
David

Works!  Thanks!

Misl

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1162 on: 4 Dec 2016, 01:01 pm »
I learnt with pleasant surprise from this thread that the BDP-1 is capable of playing DSD files. I tried to play one of my DSD64 files but the MPD shows the BDP-1 outputs DSD352 and DAC (Auralic Vega) stutters. Foobar in my computer correctly identifies the file as DSD64 and plays it without any problem. Could you advise what I am doing wrong? Thank you very much.

Another thing I would like to consult with other users and experts from Bryston. The manual for BDP-2 says all its digital outputs may be used simultaneously. The manual for BDP-1 says nothing in this respect. In my experience the simultaneous use of both RCA and XLR digital outputs on my BDP-1 (to different DACs) leads to serious deterioration of both whereas simultaneous use of the USB and either SPDIF or AES/EBU outputs is without problem. I have no experience with the BDP-2. Could you concur to my findings as correct? Are the outputs supposed to behave like this? Thank you.

Misl

« Reply #1163 on: 4 Dec 2016, 01:14 pm »
Futher to my previous post and problems with DSD playback. The DAC also signals it is getting DSD352 input signal.

Misl

« Reply #1164 on: 5 Dec 2016, 02:47 pm »
Sorry for confusion, the DSD problem solved. I just did my homework and learnt that USB output must be ticked in the Devices Audio Settings and applied. I am even more happy with my BDP-1 now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1165 on: 5 Dec 2016, 02:50 pm »
Sorry for confusion, the DSD problem solved. I just did my homework and learnt that USB output must be ticked in the Devices Audio Settings and applied. I am even more happy with my BDP-1 now.

Great - glad you got it sorted.

james

zoom25

« Reply #1166 on: 27 Jan 2017, 03:23 am »
I have currently moved my BDP-1 into another location in the house where there is no ethernet connection and the network powerline adapters won't work either. However, the wifi is still solid. I was wondering if someone could link me to a simple and cheap wireless to ethernet output device that's preferably available at BestBuy.ca or Canada Computers. Any particular model that people had good experience with? Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1167 on: 27 Jan 2017, 06:44 pm »
Did you have either powerline adapter plugged  directly into a wall outlet or through powerbar, power isolator or something else?

zoom25

« Reply #1168 on: 27 Jan 2017, 10:13 pm »
Up to now I used it with a Powerline adapter that was plugged directly into the wall and it worked fine. In the new location, I'm running around 60 feet of power cables from the wall, with around 4-5 different power cables extending into the next. So far I haven't even bothered putting the Powerline adapter into the end of 5 different power bars. I might try it and see if works, but I doubt it, given the number of connections it's running through and more importantly if that grid even connects up with the initial wall.

cprem

« Reply #1169 on: 30 Jan 2017, 10:56 pm »
James And Chris when are you guys going to implement Spotify app on Manic Moose? Its been about 3 years ago that you guys said you would consider this in Manic Moose build? Why is it we have only one choice Tidal as the only music streaming service app on the BDP's ?  Is there a third party application we can use to listen to Spotify on my BDP-1 if Bryston is not interested in developing one?

rhart

« Reply #1170 on: 31 Jan 2017, 09:45 pm »
The BDP-1 will work with the latest versions of Manic Moose, but support will likely get cut from Nutty Narwhal (the next release). 

I realize you have to end software development on products at some point, but as a new owner of a used BDP1 I have an interest in seeing things progress (forever).

Have you thought about grabbing an intern from the computer science department at your local university? A good intern programmer may be able to continue to handle debugging and glitches. Interns work for the experience, you'll (potentially) increase customer satisfaction (already pretty high, I'm sure), and you may even find some fantastic new employees!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1171 on: 31 Jan 2017, 10:03 pm »
I realize you have to end software development on products at some point, but as a new owner of a used BDP1 I have an interest in seeing things progress (forever).

Have you thought about grabbing an intern from the computer science department at your local university? A good intern programmer may be able to continue to handle debugging and glitches. Interns work for the experience, you'll (potentially) increase customer satisfaction (already pretty high, I'm sure), and you may even find some fantastic new employees!

Chris is terrific.  :thumb:

And hiring may not be within budget, which is tight in most specialty fields.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1172 on: 1 Feb 2017, 12:40 am »
Honestly though, I'd even PAY for a better interface for the BDP's. I love the sound quality, but I REALLY want something that is equally easy to use on a cell phone as it is a tablet or my computer.

Sonos has done a great job. Roon isn't too bad either.

I think it'd be great if the BDP series continued to include the web interface, but you could optionally obtain a better one, ideally that allowed you to stream other services too (Spotify, etc.) I KNOW the BDP is overkill for the quality of streaming audio, but sometimes I just want Pandora in the background to pick songs for me. It'd be GREAT if I just had ONE source for ALL my listening needs.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1173 on: 1 Feb 2017, 01:13 am »
It'd be GREAT if I just had ONE source for ALL my listening needs.

That would be the death of the audio industry.....

Once I tasted champagne, I don't settle for tap water.  :green:

Cheers

Krutsch

« Reply #1174 on: 1 Feb 2017, 09:51 pm »
Honestly though, I'd even PAY for a better interface for the BDP's. I love the sound quality, but I REALLY want something that is equally easy to use on a cell phone as it is a tablet or my computer.

Soundirok is roughly $2 on the app store. It is a better interface for the BDP and it works great on my iPhone (also for Android).

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1175 on: 3 Feb 2017, 10:34 pm »
The BDP-1 will work with the latest versions of Manic Moose, but support will likely get cut from Nutty Narwhal (the next release). 
It will output DSD via USB only and not BNC or AES, this is a function of the new audio output device
It will play audio cd's with a BOT or USB optical drive
The size of the music file has no bearing on limitation, the number of files could effect how well the native web interface functions

Also if your unaware we have released a new unit the BDP-Pi which retails at $1295.

Cheers,
Chris

Is there going to be a feature list so those of us with a BDP-1 can make a decision to upgrade?  Are there going to be any more upgrades to Manic Moose?  Anything to help with planning would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1176 on: 4 Feb 2017, 02:12 am »
I would just sit tight, we have put a bit of pause on nutty narwhal as we may keep the manic moose web GUI for nutty narwhal.  We are currently evaluating a new manic moose web design for library management (which is on a very temporary pause while we make sure S2.32 is solid as a rock) before we resume work.  Nutty narwhal won't be released until 2018.

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1177 on: 4 Feb 2017, 04:36 pm »
I would just sit tight, we have put a bit of pause on nutty narwhal as we may keep the manic moose web GUI for nutty narwhal.  We are currently evaluating a new manic moose web design for library management (which is on a very temporary pause while we make sure S2.32 is solid as a rock) before we resume work.  Nutty narwhal won't be released until 2018.

Chris,

Thanks for looping me in.

Mike

zoom25

« Reply #1178 on: 4 Feb 2017, 07:59 pm »
I was wondering if you guys have compared the CPU vs. I/O usage on BDP-1 and/or BDP-2 when playing FLAC vs. WAV?

Reference: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV-FLAC.htm

"What happens if you play WAV?
A codec will interpret the content, translating it to raw PCM.
As the content is almost identical to raw PCM, this codec has almost nothing to do so have very little impact on CPU use.
However, as the file is uncompressed, you do have a lot of I/O

What happens if you play FLAC?
Exactly the same, a codec will interpret the content, translating it to raw PCM.
However, as the audio is compressed, it must be unpacked. This requires more CPU.
The file is about half size compared with WAV, so I/O is substantially reduced."

Aside from metadata support, I was wondering which format would make more sense for playback from the computer's standpoint with reference to the above except and how memory playback works in the BDP-1 and BDP-2? I noticed that my flash drive was active pretty much all the time with both formats.

Just curious. :thumb:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #1179 on: 4 Feb 2017, 08:43 pm »
From my perspective, the only thing that matters is whether SQ is degraded if CPU usage increases during the "unpacking" of FLAC.

To my ears, and in my system's BDP-1/BDA-1, the answer is no, for both 44/16 and 96/24.

So I use FLAC -- takes up less memory on my drives.