New preamps

m_canada

New preamps
« on: 13 Jan 2017, 06:24 pm »
I'm looking into adding a BP17 preamp to my system. I have selected the BP17 because it is the only Bryston preamp with a pass-through feature. Is Bryston working on any new preamps?  It would seem that the pass-through and analog bass management are features that could be added to the line of Bryston preamps, so I'd rather wait for those features if they were being considered and weren't too far out.

Phil A

Re: New preamps
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2017, 11:42 pm »
HT Bypass is a wonderful feature. I have 3 preamps with it and using two of them in integrated AV systems

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2017, 11:43 pm »
PS - welcome to the forum

m_canada

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2017, 12:25 am »
PS - welcome to the forum
Thanks, I've been a lurker for while...

m_canada

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm »
Hmm, no responses.  Does anyone have any educated guesses?

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2017, 11:39 pm »
This question came Up in the last couple months . The answer was no new preamp coming

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2017, 01:57 am »
HI

Only thing we are looking at is a combined preamp with the BP-26 and the BDA3 DAC in one chassis.

james

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2017, 02:09 am »
HI

Only thing we are looking at is a combined preamp with the BP-26 and the BDA3 DAC in one chassis.

james

James, please DO IT!!! I've been looking at studio DACs that come with some pre-amp capability like the Dangerous Convert-2 and Crane Song Solaris/Avocet IIA. I've been meaning to go and audition the BDA some time down the road along with the new Focal headphones and was thinking how awesome it would be to be able to control things with one unit. Now if this pre-amp BDA-3 version came with a remote...I'd straight up be buying 2 of them. One for TV rig and another for nearfield desktop.

The BDA-3 with a pre-amp would be a hit with lots of speaker/monitor guys looking for a one box high-end solution. If it had 20 year warranty on top as usual, I wouldn't hesitate.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2017, 01:13 pm »
^ keep cool, zoom. Likely a teaser from Bryston.  :lol:

Separates are still superior, imo.  Would hate to see Bryston devolve into a high-priced version of Bose  :thumbdown:

techguy0192

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:16 pm »
^ keep cool, zoom. Likely a teaser from Bryston.  :lol:

Separates are still superior, imo.  Would hate to see Bryston devolve into a high-priced version of Bose  :thumbdown:

I totally agree.  While, I doubt Bryston would ever turn into a Bose....there are plenty of good reasons not to do a preamp/dac combo.

For example:
  * A preamp with a BDA-3 built in.  What happens when the BDA-4 or whatever comes out?  Half of the preamp is outdated and or not wanted.

The above example can be applied to an of the Bryston products integrating with a preamp...bdp...dac...phono.  In the long run it locks you in.

Now, if there was a modular approach, similar to what Theta or NAD has done with some of their products, I could get behind that. 

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:40 pm »
I think a combined preamp/DAC or pieces like can be a good thing (others make an integrated amp DAC - e.g. Audio Research).  There are times when space is limited.  The specs of the BDA-3 will be relevant for a long time being able to do quad DSD and 384kHz.  I have a second system with a separate preamp, a separate DAC (does double DSD and 384kHz which is also fine by me for a long time) and since I don't have space for an amp (unless I sit it on the floor or a stand in front of the furniture), I use an old Bryston 3BST since it is of shallow depth and fits behind a monitor I have in the room basically just to start up the music server.

The reason I like HT is for an integrated system that allows one to have good 2-channel and then when digital stuff like a receiver becomes obsolete, I can get a factory refurb from places like accessories4less.com and when it becomes obsolete rotate it to another system and I still have my 2-channel system.

techguy0192

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:49 pm »
This is the way to go IMO...

:thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2017, 07:38 am »
hi, Phil!

what dac are you using to decode DSD?

thanks,

al.

m_canada

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2017, 02:49 pm »
HI

james
Ok, thanks for the heads-up. Is bass management something for which you guys aren't seeing a lot of customer demand?

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2017, 03:04 pm »
hi, Phil!

what dac are you using to decode DSD?

thanks,

al.

Al, in the main system have a Meitner MA-1.  In a secondary system, I have a Teac UD-501.  At least for now.  Finishing some cabling projects (and may also buy one besides making the rest) and shifting things around (got an Oppo UDP-203 for another secondary system and rotating Blu-Ray players). 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2017, 08:37 pm »

...ah, ok.

talking about the TEAC - was it the biggest bang for the bug or was it a quality decision ??

al.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2017, 09:52 pm »
...ah, ok.

talking about the TEAC - was it the biggest bang for the bug or was it a quality decision ??

al.

It was bought for a secondary system to start with so I did not want to go overboard.  I got a good deal when it was new probably just about 3.5 years ago.  It was at the 2013 Capital Audiofest and Everything Audio Network had a stack of DACs in a room and I (and another person in the room agreed - even those almost twice the price) thought it was the best one (and the person I got the Meitner from sold his DAC, which was in the room too and bought the Teac and was satisfied it was better as well) and I spent a couple of hours in the room.  The pic of the stack of DACs is here:  http://www.stereophile.com/content/capital-audiofest-day-two-part-one#hqbtRGkYIHshXcic.97

I actually wanted to like the most expensive DAC in the room ($1.8k) as it had HT Bypass and also had a word length display but the Teac to me was clearly better.  I can always find a use for it somewhere it I decided to upgrade at some point.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2017, 10:16 pm »
^  My first CDP was a TEAC with cassette also. Still have it in my closet now (!). Enjoyed it for almost 20 years (!) til the hi-end bug bit me. I played it a few months ago, and realized then that it had a mechanical buzzing from the CD drive inside. Clearly audible. Anyways.....TEAC makes good sounding gear for the money. Their UD-H01 HP amp/DAC is decent for the price.