DSD DACs

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #80 on: 4 Dec 2012, 03:39 pm »
I have the Exasound E20 DSD DAC inhouse.  I hope to give it a mini-review soon.  It is playing from my Win 8 CAPS V2+ server and all is well (all sample rates including DSD via ASIO).  I promised the designer (George Klissarov ) that I would try it sans preamp too.  I'm using J River with Exasounds's own ASIO driver.

jamesg11

« Reply #81 on: 5 Dec 2012, 12:53 am »
I have the Exasound E20 DSD DAC inhouse.  I hope to give it a mini-review soon.  It is playing from my Win 8 CAPS V2+ server and all is well (all sample rates including DSD via ASIO).  I promised the designer (George Klissarov ) that I would try it sans preamp too.  I'm using J River with Exasounds's own ASIO driver.
Ted, can you remind me where your description of your CAPS V2 ETC is to be found. Thanks.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #82 on: 5 Dec 2012, 12:57 am »

rhandmj

« Reply #83 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:42 am »
I have the Chord QuteHD DAC, full 24/192 and unconverted DSD over USB, or 384 optical. Superb DAC. Can't recommend it too highly.

wisnon

« Reply #84 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm »
Any new word on the 'potential' tubed DSD capable dac mentioned as a possibility above?  Ted's assessment of the Meitner has me seriously thinking about moving to a DSD capable dac from my AMR dp-777......but I really like tubes    :D!

Thanks in advance for any info.

Randy

Randy, this is from the Lampi Facebook page:

I will be ready to ship the amps abroad in about 2 weeks. I made special new packing boxes and special 115 V transformers too. No corners have been cut anywhere, especially in safety and mechanical integrity of such monsters.

I will release AC filter conditioner box (previously named SILK) (VERY GOOD ONE) next week. retail price 1000 Euro.

The DSD tube DAC is around the corner to be released early 2013 if the world will not end.

The Level 6 DAC will be released over this weekend. It is not "better than Level5 in a linear progress fashion". It will be different. Retail price 4900 Euro plus VAT in EU.

There will be also an introduction of a LAN-DAC very shortly with ethernet cable input. Price is 300 Euro above the all Levels price

wisnon

« Reply #85 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm »
I have the Chord QuteHD DAC, full 24/192 and unconverted DSD over USB, or 384 optical. Superb DAC. Can't recommend it too highly.

Can you say more about this DAC? It is the only I know of offereing 24/192 on Toslink. How does native DSD files vis the Qute compare to SACD  disc playback?

Audioclyde

« Reply #86 on: 7 Dec 2012, 01:24 pm »
Wisnon, thanks for the heads up--guess I need to 'friend'/follow the Lampi FB page--I rarely get on there.

Still not certain I would go that route though; of course cost might be an issue, but more importantly is that a few audio friends with tastes similar to mine have moved from Lamp DACs. I'd like to hear one for myself though, that's for sure.

Randy

wisnon

« Reply #87 on: 7 Dec 2012, 02:01 pm »
Ask Playin the Blues...he is on his 4th Dac. The latest one is balanced. i am on my 2nd and this is 4th Gen, with the multibit chip.

Many people churn and burn DAC and other components and often its jumping from one fad to another. For me, the Lampi sounds very analog and "creamy", while still being detailed. Of the cohort of guys that got Lamp Dacs with me, 3 of 4 still have their Dacs and the one who did is always looking to trade up. Not sure if he is not just trading for trading sake though....please read the Gpointaudio review and the www.monoandstereo.com review for a sound evaluation.

I run a SS system, so I need a tube component like the Lampi or AMR for balance.

HT cOz

« Reply #88 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:48 pm »
Here is an idea for a cool project that would cost just a few hundred bucks!

The Hifimediy Dac accepts DSD inputs using the CS4398 chip which has a direct DSD path on the chip.  Here are some photos

Notice the DSD Jumper which allows DSD mode to be turned on

Next an inexpensive DSD USB input like this could be incorporated for a nice starter DSD Dac! http://amanero.com/

Could be interesting! 
PS I already have the DAC  :lol:  :thumb:

I purchased the Amerno to go with the Hifimediy Dac. I will post about it when I get it going.

Thanks,
Robert

rhandmj

« Reply #89 on: 7 Dec 2012, 03:57 pm »
Reply to Wisnon:

The Chord is magnificent. I am using JRiver build 18, which seems to solve a problem with clicking/popping between DSD tracks that apparently is a buffering issue. I was never a great fan of SACD, but I have to say that DSD directly is much better. DSD downloads will never be a market player, and I agree with this, as 24/192 at this point in my exploration sounds better, but the character of DSD downloaded files is distinctly different, and I need to hear more. My opinion will surely evolve.

The real thing about the Chord is the very unique buffering and processing that is very proprietary, worth looking into. Looks cool too.

wisnon

« Reply #90 on: 7 Dec 2012, 06:29 pm »
Thanks Rhandmj,

For DSD files, you can rip SACDs via PS3 now. Even better, guys here like Tyson have offered to rip the discs for you, if its too complicated to hunt down an old PS3. I need to start ripping again, as I have only done about 20 out of 150 discs I have. The thing with DSD is that you have to ensure that the files was recorded NATIVELY in DSD for it to sound best. PCM files converted to DSD will sound WORSE than the PCM equivalent. The trick is to know the chain of custody of any particular recording and play it back in the native format for optimal results, even if that mean 16/44 RCBD!

Good to hear that DSD on the Qute sounds good, because the only review I saw of this was lukewarm, BUT< the reviewer used PCM recorded DSD files, so he apparently did not understand that his trial was invalid for evaluation purposes.

Finally, actually DSD downloads may actually beat PCM as market leader in the HiRez segment in the medium term, BECAUSE THE EQUIVALENT DSD FILE IS SMALLER, and so easier to store and faster to download.

rhandmj

« Reply #91 on: 8 Dec 2012, 01:58 pm »
You are right, only native DSD is in my experience worthwhile, but what I see in the SACD marketplace is rather few native DSD recordings or transfers, far more PCM conversions, and for this reason, I feel that DSD has little future in the hi-res download world. What I am seeing as a trend is transfers at 24/192 intended to eventually feed the download market, labels are building up their catalogs of hi-res files, then converting those files to DSD for a last physical release. In these cases, my humble opinion is wait for the 24/192 file - it will be better.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 8 Dec 2012, 02:17 pm »
You are right, only native DSD is in my experience worthwhile, but what I see in the SACD marketplace is rather few native DSD recordings or transfers, far more PCM conversions, and for this reason, I feel that DSD has little future in the hi-res download world. What I am seeing as a trend is transfers at 24/192 intended to eventually feed the download market, labels are building up their catalogs of hi-res files, then converting those files to DSD for a last physical release. In these cases, my humble opinion is wait for the 24/192 file - it will be better.

Of the approx 7200 SACDS, there are 2800 native DSD recordings, and another 1000 analog-to-DSD masterings.  (Note: of the remaining,, some are unidentifiable, and some are PCM recordings that don't exist in the hirez PCM catalogs.  The final subcategory, PCM-to-DSD recordings that also exist in the hirez PCM disc or download world, like Robert's nice BIS SACD recordings, are clearly wastes of time to find and rip, and better to listen to in available PCM...assuming your DAC handles one as good as the other).  Anyway.....that's a "boatload" of new hirez discoveries.  Why not go after them?

rhandmj

« Reply #93 on: 8 Dec 2012, 04:56 pm »
Ted, I am interested in your view on this - those BIS recordings at 24/44, or more recently a few at 24/96 transferred to DSD I am curious about - why would anyone not just listen to them in 24/44 as they were recorded? I can't see an advantage to DSD here. Am I missing something?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #94 on: 8 Dec 2012, 05:30 pm »
Ted, I am interested in your view on this - those BIS recordings at 24/44, or more recently a few at 24/96 transferred to DSD I am curious about - why would anyone not just listen to them in 24/44 as they were recorded? I can't see an advantage to DSD here. Am I missing something?

That's EXACTLY what I said above. 
Robert's nice BIS SACD recordings, are clearly wastes of time to find and rip, and better to listen to in available PCM...
You are not missing anything.   If recorded in PCM, let me hear it in PCM.  If recorded in DSD, let me hear it in DSD.  Analog?  Well, I happen to like what DSD mastering can do for analog, but whatever.

BTW, Robert's BIS label recorded 9 SACDs in DSD, then went to 24/44 (for financial reasons, mainly).  He later went to 24/96.  Unless you want the multichannel content, buy the downloads in native PCM.  Of course, if you already own the discs, then you have a choice to make; probably ripping them to DSD makes some sense, as opposed to buying them again online.  It's not like they suck in DSD.   What's further nice about Robert's stuff is that the eclassical website has many sales (like now, his daily 50% disc)  and his list prices are very very reasonable.  Moreover, you can download the selections/movements/tracks you like for almost pennies.

wisnon

« Reply #95 on: 8 Dec 2012, 05:53 pm »
Plus the 9 native DSD BIS recordings are worthwhile to have in and of themselves!

I agree Ted, Analog to DSD is GREAT.

rw@cn

« Reply #96 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm »

Is there a listing somewhere?

wisnon

« Reply #97 on: 9 Dec 2012, 12:11 am »
Tchaikovsky Symph no 1 and No 6 (Jarvi)
Grieg: Sigurd Jorsalfar and Norwegian Dances and Piano concerto In Autumn -Ruud
Harvard composers: Mendelssohn string Quartet
Mendelssohn String Quintets/Mann
Prieres sans paroles -Hardenberger
Takemitsu: How slow the wind-Otaka

I just managed to score the last one used. When I checked months ago it was too expensive.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #98 on: 30 Dec 2012, 01:41 am »
Well, Norman, looks like Lucasz won't have the worlds first DSD tube DAC after all...
http://www.lector-audio.com/digitube-dsd.htm

wisnon

« Reply #99 on: 30 Dec 2012, 10:43 am »
Yeah,

If you snooze, you lose...

His prototype wont be ready before next week.

Any idea about pricing?