DAC suggestions - that play Redbook thru DSD

Big Red Machine

DAC suggestions - that play Redbook thru DSD
« on: 28 Sep 2015, 05:56 pm »
I am starting to shop for dacs. I tend to lean toward those who implement circuits based on their own unique designs versus using the same old chipsets like Sabre, Wolfson, etc.

I'm not needing a dac that has preamp capabilities. Not sure any could replace my abiding Dude.

I love my little Chord EX as it plays everything thrown at it so I am not looking for another $2000 dac that just sounds different. My system is pretty amazing in resolution right now so I cannot fathom what a more elite dac might bring in terms of detail, soundstage, etc.

Am considering:

Bricasti M1
Meitner MA-1
PS Audio Direct stream

Maybe an Ayre QB-9
Maybe a Lampi, but the manual switching between resolutions does not enhance a listening session imo

I'd like to find used and keep it under $6k.

Am I missing any potential players out there?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: DAC suggestions - that play Redbook thru DSD
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2015, 05:58 pm »
Vega
Merging Technology Hapi

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2015, 07:59 pm »
Since you want up to DSD, ask in highrez.  I am sure Ted has tried just about every unit out there.

Lampi with Exotica sounded very good.  I don't know if it was just the DAC or the amps or the pre section of the big Lampi unit but I heard more into the Speakers than before when Exotica was paired with other gears.  It was only one click on the the remote to play DSD from redbook Jim was playing. 

I am happy with my DAC 2x which recognizes all formats.

Ron D

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2015, 08:19 pm »
Exasound would be another DAC manufacturer that builds DACs that handle DSD

www.exasound.com

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2015, 12:20 am »
Any experience with Ayon or DCS out there?

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2015, 12:28 am »
I always thought the MSB Analog DAC looked interesting. Properly implemented R-2R ladder DACs are probably one of the purest and most ideal forms of conversion. Starts at $7k msrp with the basic PS, no volume control.

http://www.msbtech.com/products/analogDac.php

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2015, 01:36 am »
I always thought the MSB Analog DAC looked interesting. Properly implemented R-2R ladder DACs are probably one of the purest and most ideal forms of conversion. Starts at $7k msrp with the basic PS, no volume control.

http://www.msbtech.com/products/analogDac.php

Thanks Tom! I keep seeing the higher end units go up for sale and get a little confused by which one is really the entry unit config.  I'll read up.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2015, 02:00 am »
Thanks Tom! I keep seeing the higher end units go up for sale and get a little confused by which one is really the entry unit config.  I'll read up.
Always happy to spend your money. I know you'd do the same for me  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2015, 04:40 pm »
Anyone with experience with a Rockna Wavedream?  Looks interesting.

http://www.rockna-audio.com/products/wavedream-dac

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2015, 10:27 pm »
I am taking a serious look at the Anteope Audio Pure 2. It uses some of the same architecture as the much more expensive Antelope dacs. I like the adda capability as well
Nick

neep

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2015, 06:47 am »
Chord Hugo TT interest you?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2015, 10:52 am »
Chord Hugo TT interest you?

It wouldn't be much of a step up from my EX unit.

I can grab used or demo Direct Streams for $3500 and get  warranty but I am more inclined to wait for the accumulation of enough cash to get a Bricasti. Liked what I heard at RMAF wrt the MSB as well.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:15 pm »
It wouldn't be much of a step up from my EX unit.

I can grab used or demo Direct Streams for $3500 and get  warranty but I am more inclined to wait for the accumulation of enough cash to get a Bricasti. Liked what I heard at RMAF wrt the MSB as well.
How can you hear just a dac at RMAF?   :scratch:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:38 pm »

Actually the MSB room was very telling. Mostly having one on one conversations about their different philosophies and approaches to reducing noise, etc. was my main target.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:50 pm »

When I was in the MSB room they had two of their dacs that they swapped back and forth with. One costing I believe $12k and the other around $40k. The more expensive one did sound better but to me not enough to justify that kind of increase.

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2015, 01:13 pm »

Hi,
Is'nt that always the case
or should I write that it's a fact that:
Double the $$$ does not double the sound quality.
(Regarless of the equipment.)

Guy 13

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2015, 01:16 pm »
When I was in the MSB room they had two of their dacs that they swapped back and forth with. One costing I believe $12k and the other around $40k. The more expensive one did sound better but to me not enough to justify that kind of increase.
Yes, I was there too.  Comparing two dacs is very different than what was posted above.  You can't tell how a single dac "sounds" in one system.  The only thing you're listening to is the whole system.  This is of course you compare dacs in the same system. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2015, 01:17 pm »
Actually the MSB room was very telling. Mostly having one on one conversations about their different philosophies and approaches to reducing noise, etc. was my main target.
I see.  The Analog is a good dac.  No doubt about it.  I don't think one needs to spend that much money though to get that performance.  I'll give you < 1 year like all your other electronics.   ;)

sfox7076

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2015, 01:22 pm »
I am not endorsing this, but this thread may be something to look into:  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/amare-musica-tube-digital-analogue-converter-direct-stream-digital-%96-without-d-converter-magic-%96-no-true-26091/

I also would love to see the final product here.  The rendering is nice, but with the Kickstarter fails I have had, I tend to wait to see the finished product.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:59 pm »
New dac is in FedEx's hands. With any luck I will have it Friday.  :P :icon_lol: :green: