RM30 40oz megawoofers

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
RM30 40oz megawoofers
« on: 24 Oct 2015, 08:40 am »
After I recently did the RM30 series ii conversion (great upgrade!!), I decided to finish the job by replacing my older 28oz megawoofers with the more recent 40oz version.

I reached out to Misco (via their customer service contact, not their product order contact) and ordered 4 LLC62W-8A.  Price was $56.29ea plus shipping. Easy and low-key experience, with absolutely no issue from the small size of the order. 

However, it took about 3 months for me to get the drivers.  A long wait, but no surprise since this was exactly the schedule they anticipated when I ordered.  Part of the reason for the delay was that they didn't have some of the raw materials for the drivers on hand, and that it had been so long since they used it, they needed to find a new supplier.  Based on what they told me, it would probably take a few weeks less now.

So, was it worth it?  This is a tough question, since they need a fair bit of burn-in, and they start out sounding worse than the old drivers. Right now (after about 30 hours) they sound pretty close, perhaps a bit more linear, but they are still opening up.  I was worried that the low mids might not transition as well from the ribbons to the new megawoofers, but this is not the case and the transition point is as seamless as before.  Right now, I'd say, no downside other than cost, and upside to be determined.

It was possible (perhaps not advisable) to install the old 28oz megawoofers with the speakers upright.  With the 40oz, you're really better off installing after you carefully put the speaker on its back, removing or otherwise being mindful of the base.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2015, 10:06 am by monsterbill »

G E

Re: RM30 40oz megawoofers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2015, 04:45 pm »
Keep us up to date on the break-in progress.  I did the Series II upgrade but still have the 28oz mega woofers. 

Someone else on the forum moved to the 40oz megas and he felt it was a worthy upgrade, particularly for bass heavy material.

Hearing that Misco had to source a new supplier for some of the material makes me want to get them sooner rather than later.