Triode Wire Labs Exhibiting at AXPONA, April 24 - 26

Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs is proud to be exhibiting and providing the entire Cable Loom in the very large Dearborn Room at the upcoming Chicago - AXPONA Audio show, April 24-26, at The Westin O'Hare.

We'll be teaming up with fellow AC Site Sponsor Mike Pranka (Well Tempered Labs). Mike will be providing a fantastic sounding Well Tempered turntable and Dynavector cartridge.

Loudspeakers will be the world renown & gorgeous Volti Audio (http://www.voltiaudio.com) Vittoras, handmade by Greg Roberts. All electronics will be provided by Gary Dews from BorderPatrol Audio (http://www.borderpatrol.net), who probably uses the "best" in-house made power supplies for audio reproduction. Gary will be providing his 300B-based amplifiers with separate dual mono power supplies, tube preamp & tube DAC.

Come on down for a visit & I promise you, an extremely dynamic and natural musical experience!

Cheers,
Pete

TomS

Re: Triode Wire Labs Exhibiting at AXPONA, April 24 - 26
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2015, 02:52 am »
Looking forward to it guys!

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:36 am »
Sounds like  killer room. So many of my personal favorites (Ive owned both Dynavector phono stages and carts, as well as an Amadeus) and show favorites (have loved Volti rooms and Triode is always in great rooms).

TomS, look forward to seeing you too! 

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2015, 01:26 pm »

TomS, look forward to seeing you too!
Our daughter just moved to Ukrainian Village, so hopefully many more visits for us ahead. See you there  :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:06 pm »
Nice! Cool neighborhood.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:16 pm »
Pete, it will be nice to see you again.

Triode Pete

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:34 am »
Pete, it will be nice to see you again.

Hi Ted - Likewise!

Getting ready right now with some special cables to bring as well as some killer vinyl for the Well Tempered TT!

Get ready for some incredible dynamics & musicality!

Cheers,
Pete

jimbones

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm »
Hmmm, special? Like in soon to be released new products?  :drool:

Triode Pete

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm »
Picture of the room on set-up day...

Cheers,
Pete

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2015, 11:55 pm »
Great to hear the Voltis in a big room. Great sound despite the room challenges that seem to accompany any room at a show (one of the exhibitors in your room, think a Volti guy, was mentioning these difficulties).

Too bad I didn't get to hear the WTA with the new cables you hinted at. Vinyl wasn't playing when I visited. But more details on the phono cabling is most welcome, especially if there is a DIN invovled and the cable would be good for a low impedance cart...

Triode Pete

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2015, 12:50 am »
Some nice feedback from another Audio Forum...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/regsaudioforum/conversations/topics/54249

Best Sound in Show:  Greg Roberts' Volti Vittoras plus two of the subs (one comes standard with the Vittoras) won hands down.  The system was set up in a huge room, probably 50 feet by 75 feet.  Exemplary tonal balance for my tastes, a very relaxed feel from whisper to storm, quite detailed but with no edge.  The combination of well-focused images and a truly expansive stage on a lot of material was fascinating--very open sound, totally detached from the very large boxes. 

Power was by the Border Patrol tube amps producing maybe 30 watts per channel (ACTUALLY 18 watts of 300B parallel SET) and wires were by Triode Wire Labs.  These three companies shared the room.  With 30 watts the Voltis could literally shake this huge room on electronica with their throbbing, clean, detailed bass and totally clean sound.  Most of the time the system was played at realistic levels, but at one point during my considerable time in this room, they turned it up just to show the younger attendees what the Vittoras sound like at earbleed levels.  I've never heard cleaner very loud sound.  Most systems would self destruct or sound just awful at these levels. Both vinyl and CDs were used; the sound was a bit better with the vinyl (Well Tempered TT), but it was close and the analog's primary advantage was yet-greater depth of field.  During the hour plus I spent there, a wide range of program material was used from the aforementioned electronica to classical vocal, orchestral, and chamber music, to blues and jazz, plus some rock.  Everything sounded wonderfully realistic, inviting, relaxed, and generous as one could hope, given the program material.  Volti also sponsored a "Have Fun!" lounge, and that's just how the speakers sounded.

While wonderful sounding, this Volti system would be impractical for most of us.  The speaker/subs combo is just too big for most rooms in terms of footprint.  The amps are also large.  And the amps and speakers combined are at least $50k, with the speakers alone at $25k+.

Many demos were just too aggressive sounding when I merely poked my head in the door to warrant entering.  And some models from some well-reviewed names sounded okay, but given the prices were nothing to write about.  I would have said something positive about some $50k+ speakers if they sounded better than the $25k Voltis, but none of the really expensive ones I heard came even remotely close to the Voltis, in my estimation.

Triode Pete

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2015, 12:55 pm »
Great to hear the Voltis in a big room. Great sound despite the room challenges that seem to accompany any room at a show (one of the exhibitors in your room, think a Volti guy, was mentioning these difficulties).

Too bad I didn't get to hear the WTA with the new cables you hinted at. Vinyl wasn't playing when I visited. But more details on the phono cabling is most welcome, especially if there is a DIN invovled and the cable would be good for a low impedance cart...

Hey Roscoe,
The new phono cables were used at AXPONA with fantastic results. Yes, a female DIN to male RCA's is available. I utilize the highest quality & best sounding DIN I could find from Cardas (see http://www.cardas.com/s_din.php). The 2 part-shielding is similar to the the type I use on the "Digital American", with conductive gold mylar & patented conductive carbon infused sheathing that is very static resistant as well...

Dead quiet, explosively dynamic and most importantly, very musical and natural / organic sonding...

Cheers,
Pete