Like to get planer headphones

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Like to get planer headphones
« Reply #40 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:13 pm »
Its easy and cheap made DIY speaker, w/phones its impossible.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #41 on: 2 Dec 2015, 04:30 am »
Hey Brooklyn - for the budget and kind of sound your looking for, the HIFI Man 400i would have been my first suggestion - congrats!  The Fostex T50 / Mr Speakers Mad Dog Pro are good headphones, but considerably darker in sound and heavier on the head vs the 400i. I liked my MDP particularly with heavy metal & classic rock with a good tube headphone amp. But they do want a lot of power and start to feel heavy on the head with extended listening.

brooklyn

« Reply #42 on: 2 Dec 2015, 05:16 am »
Thanks milford, I’ve been letting the new cans play almost all day to help break them in. I
listened again tonight for a couple of hours and I really like what I’m hearing, the planer sound
is definitely for me.

db, this in my third pair of headphones and while they all sound different, the HE-400i’s sound
better to my ears then the others even with different types of music. They seem to have a more
natural and less fatiguing sound quality to them but I haven't made any comparisons at this time.

ctviggen, headphones have become my main source of listening to music in the last two years
both from vinyl and digital. My setup with the Graham Slee Solo headphone amp is around 1k.
I agree, this hobby is expensive but when I think about all the hours of enjoyment I get, it’s all
worth it to me.

Hi jarcher, I also think the HE-400i’s was a good match for me. They are without a doubt light
weight even when listening for a few hours, they don’t get uncomfortable at all. Your right, I
don’t believe I would have been happy with darker sounding cans. So far, I don’t have anything
to complain about. It feels good to be able to hit the nail square on head for a change.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #43 on: 2 Dec 2015, 04:25 pm »
Do you guys dont consider the HE400S?
It have 98dB and lower impedance=22 ohms.

brooklyn

« Reply #44 on: 2 Dec 2015, 05:20 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan, the impedance of the headphones in my case didn’t matter because I’m using
a HP amp. I didn’t consider the HE-400s because I got the 400i’s for the same money on sale.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 2 Dec 2015, 05:24 pm »
Maybe you like it an explanation on HE400i x S versions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3nerds/he400_vs_he400_s_vs_he400i/

brooklyn

« Reply #46 on: 2 Dec 2015, 07:19 pm »
All I can say is I’m listening to a pair of planer headphones for the approximate money
I was willing to spend to try them. So far, I like what I’m hearing.. I have 60 days to
make sure I’m in love with them, if not, back they go.