Bryston BDP-Pi

FlyoverGuy

Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #100 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:14 am »
I have been enjoying my PI for about a week and must confess it exceeded my expectations.  I run it straight into a 135 integrated and use a wd passport for storage.  Those songs I ripped from either CD or Blu-Ray sound fantastic and most Itunes tracks sound good as well.  Only some unknown vintage mp3 files sound muddy and compressed.  The web UI works well enough though I have not started really using saved playlists.

Better documentation on using MM with the PI would be appreciated. The guide I have is for the BDP-2 and not as useful as it can be.

Kudos to Bryston for a really excellent product which has allowed me to consolidate my music into one repository.  Well done!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 6 Dec 2016, 11:23 am »
I have been enjoying my PI for about a week and must confess it exceeded my expectations.  I run it straight into a 135 integrated and use a wd passport for storage.  Those songs I ripped from either CD or Blu-Ray sound fantastic and most Itunes tracks sound good as well.  Only some unknown vintage mp3 files sound muddy and compressed.  The web UI works well enough though I have not started really using saved playlists.

Better documentation on using MM with the PI would be appreciated. The guide I have is for the BDP-2 and not as useful as it can be.

Kudos to Bryston for a really excellent product which has allowed me to consolidate my music into one repository.  Well done!

Hi Fly Over Guy

Glad you are enjoying the Pi - it has been a huge hit for us and I think accomplishes what we hoped it would - namely to allow state of the art digital playback at a very reasonable price.  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #102 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

Starting to get some terrific reviews on the new Bryston Pi Digital player.

https://www.theaterbyte.com/hardware-gear-electronics/bryston-bdp-%cf%80-digital-player-theaterbyte-gear-review.html

James Tanner
Bryston Ltd.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #103 on: 9 Dec 2016, 04:02 pm »
I couldn't be happier with mine, I just wish because I ripped in AIFF in Mpod on my iphone 6S my tracks are out of order and I have no clue how to fix that and I dont care to pay for Roon.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 9 Dec 2016, 04:15 pm »
Hi Folks,

Another Pi review.

Favourite Quote:

“ IT JUST WORKS”

James

Have PDF - jamestanner@bryston.com

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #105 on: 14 Dec 2016, 04:11 pm »
Yesterday I received my Bryston BDP-Ï€ serial #98 and the set-up was very straight forward, easy to install on my network and loads my massive library quickly.

Being a new unit, I assumed it had the latest firmware and checked - there was an update! The update was applied and all is well!

I'm a very pleased customer!

Donald Martin

Dave Jameson

« Reply #106 on: 15 Dec 2016, 02:18 am »
I couldn't be happier with mine, I just wish because I ripped in AIFF in Mpod on my iphone 6S my tracks are out of order and I have no clue how to fix that and I dont care to pay for Roon.

Hi schmidtmike76,

Sorry to derail this thread but there was definitely an issue with a genration or two of iTunes. I believe what happened was iTunes messed up the "track number" tag, so that some of the files had their correct value (ei 01, 02 etc) but others were missing that tag entirely. So in Manic Moose you are left with some tracks displayed in numerical order and others (missing the track tag) in alphabetical. Just a mess! I know because I've lived through it.

I highly recommend purchasing DBPoweramp ripping software and re-ripping the effected CDs as a FLAC Uncompressed. I promise this will work and you will love how much better Manic Moose is organized.

Should you have a PC, you can also download DBPoweramp's ID Tag Editor (Perfect Tunes) and correct your AIFF files, including adding a cover art folder to each file. Perfect Tunes is unfortunately not available for Mac OS...I have no idea why.

Cheers,
DJ

schmidtmike76

« Reply #107 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:31 pm »
There is no high jacking here and if anything I appreciate the help.  The only way to fix is it re-rip my cd collection.  Do you know of any programs that I could drag my iTunes into and a magic wand would fix the tracking errors.  My iTunes is up to date.  Computers are not my strong point.  Roon I heard would fix it but I need a more powerful computer and the software cost is to much imo. 

Krutsch

« Reply #108 on: 15 Dec 2016, 03:30 pm »
There is no high jacking here and if anything I appreciate the help.  The only way to fix is it re-rip my cd collection.  Do you know of any programs that I could drag my iTunes into and a magic wand would fix the tracking errors.  My iTunes is up to date.  Computers are not my strong point.  Roon I heard would fix it but I need a more powerful computer and the software cost is to much imo.

For what it's worth, I was never able to get my AIFF collection to work properly on the BDP and I went back to FLAC.

I'm a Mac user and there are great tools for tagging and ripping, like XLD and Metadactics. There are definitely problems with iTunes in how they tag AIFF files, with respect to BDP. I tried a large collection of files and re-tagged with Metadactics, which will allow you to load a huge number of files and then "re-write" the tags within for greater compatibility.

That last attempt made things better, but I kept finding many AIFF files where the BDP couldn't read some of the tags (e.g. I had lots of albums with an Unknown genre) and many albums all had the track index values read as one (1).

I can take those same files and load them into: iTunes, Roon, MinimServer, Vox ... and they all read the tags just fine. Part of the problem is MPD, which the BDP uses internally for music playback, which doesn't have good support for AIFF or WAV tags, which are not clearly defined as a standard.

My advice? Install Roon on your PC and set it up to use your iTunes library. Then, you can rip/manage your audio files in AIFF and manage your playlists with iTunes; Roon will simply send a PCM stream to your BDP. Your metadata and album art problems will be gone forever and you don't need to re-rip your collection.

If you don't want to go that route, you are not really comfortable with your PC or Mac (not sure what you have) and want to re-rip a collection that works with your BDP, consider ripping everything to FLAC using something like JRiver Media Center or dBpoweramp.

Ask more questions if you aren't sure what to do next... we are here to help.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #109 on: 15 Dec 2016, 03:47 pm »
Thanks for the great reply I have a imac in a different room 2008 model with 4Gigs of ram but my router is at my Pi so internet connection is not a issue.  Do I need a computer with 8Gigs of ram I was told I do to run Roon?

Krutsch

« Reply #110 on: 15 Dec 2016, 05:54 pm »
Thanks for the great reply I have a imac in a different room 2008 model with 4Gigs of ram but my router is at my Pi so internet connection is not a issue.  Do I need a computer with 8Gigs of ram I was told I do to run Roon?

Here are the requirements: https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

If you have an older iMac, you might consider running RoonServer on the iMac and use a tablet (iPad) as the user interface with the BDP as the playback device.

RoonServer doesn't impose the same requirements, as you aren't running the fancy user interface on that machine. I run RoonServer on a Mac Mini from 2011, but I do have an SSD drive and 8GB of RAM. However, it will still run with less - browsing might not be as fast.

Try it and see what happens with your iTunes library on the iMac.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 15 Dec 2016, 06:54 pm »
Hi Mike

I am running ROON on an old MAC laptop as well with no issues.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #112 on: 15 Dec 2016, 08:16 pm »
Thanks James

Dave Jameson

« Reply #113 on: 16 Dec 2016, 12:37 am »
Potentially you will still not be able to see some of your AIFF files within Roon. I have had the same issue with my AIFF files and the files missing their track ID tag will not show up in Roon. So what I'm left with is, say, Track 3,4,5,8,11 of 12 but all other tracks are missing. These missing files, using Manic Moose, show up in alphabetical order.

So, I highly recommend re-ripping your CDs or learning how to use an ID Tag Editor like the ones outlined above. I have also tried converting the files to ALAC...with no change, still missing some files.

A FLAC file is a wonderful thing, especially if you use the "Uncompressed" codec!

schmidtmike76

« Reply #114 on: 16 Dec 2016, 12:42 am »
Isn't flac already uncompressed?  I really have no idea thought it was.  I've heard of manic Moose but what is that and how do I run it.  I use my Pi two ways Mpod and bryston shortcut from the web address entered.  On a iPhone 6S both apps are easy to use

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #115 on: 16 Dec 2016, 12:56 am »
Isn't flac already uncompressed?  I really have no idea thought it was. 

Hi Mike,

FLAC employs“lossless” compression, which reduces the stored music file’s size, but then restores the data package to the original bit-for-bit identical music file on playback.

You don't lose any information on playback so sleep well.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #116 on: 16 Dec 2016, 03:17 am »
Looks like I have some work to do this weekend.  Thanks Pete

Dave Jameson

« Reply #117 on: 16 Dec 2016, 05:28 pm »
To further support CanadianMaestro's post, there are several compression algorithms used for FLAC. You may have heard of FLAC "Level 5", or "Level 8". This is used to determine the amount of file compression involved (the lower the number, the greater the compression/smaller the file size). During playback, provided your operating system has sufficient processing power, the differences between compression versions is all but unnoticeable.

That said, what I purpose is to use the FLAC "Uncompressed" codec. This will ensure that your FLAC files are the exact same size as the original CD (600-700 mb or so) but with provisions for a multitude of ID Tags. This will ensure you have the best sound quality and support over the widest range of playback systems/OS. Of course iTunes won't playback FLAC files...but I think we're all way past iTunes at this point :)

Thread officially derailed ;)

Cheers,
DJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #118 on: 16 Dec 2016, 05:29 pm »
Dear, Brian, dear James,

We have first excellent review about new BDP-PI in Germany in the magazine for digital HiFi „Einsnull“

Have nice weekend!

Best regards
Edvard

I have a full PDF review in German if anyone wants a copy - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Some Quotes in English:

Bryston's BDP Pi  is a lot more than a mere digial player,   Because the flexibl and userfriendly hardware is fully adjustable to the user in  terms of formats, resolution, and control. Despite this, the high standards of the "Canadians" in respect of built quality and sound quality remain fully in place also with in their smallest addition to their family so far !

The PI perfectly processes the  full range of high res- as well as compressed audio formats via its SPDIF, HDMI or USB inputs, and any external DAC can be attached. Together with the optical drive BOT1 and a suitable DAC such as the BDA3. The PI can provide a fully fledged music server solution, including ripping function, which, thanks to its compact size of the player and the BOT, is only fractionally larger than the DAC itself.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2016, 04:04 pm by James Tanner »

schmidtmike76

« Reply #119 on: 29 Dec 2016, 10:35 pm »
When I add files to my hard drive from my mac and plug it back into the Pi, on my iPhone 6s from the bryston shortcut it will say "update" highlighted in blue but won't update.  I have to power down the Pi from the back then it will pull the tracks from the hard drive and update by itself.  What am I doing wrong that I can't update from my iPhone.  It highlights blue to update I tap it but nothing happens.