Product line question

eis

• Y M I
Product line question
« on: 12 Feb 2016, 06:42 am »
Sorry if this sounds ignorant but, in the preamp range is the only difference between the Insight+ EC Preamplifier and the Vision SL the tone controls? I couldn't tell from the website.

Regards
eis

modular747

Re: Product line question
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2016, 04:01 pm »
They have completely different circuitry.  The Vision uses "discrete transistor class A audio circuits" , whereas the Insight is integrated circuit based.  The Insight also has more input switching capability.

eis

• Y M I
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2016, 04:22 pm »
Is one better than the other or just different? In other words is class A a better design or integrated circuit? Or is it personal preference ?

PSB Guy

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2016, 04:49 pm »
The Vision Class A design is a newer, better design, but it does not support tone controls. The Insight is an older design that is being continued for those who feel the need for tone controls.

Cornelis

modular747

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2016, 05:32 pm »
Is one better than the other or just different? In other words is class A a better design or integrated circuit? Or is it personal preference ?

That depends on your definition of "better."  The theoretical advantages of one may be overcome by the practical advantages of the other.  Ultimately, it's what you hear that counts.

Discrete transistor circuits give the designer full control of the circuit.  The inner functions of integrated circuits are a "black box" which the circuit engineer can't control.  "Class A" is a lower distortion mode than other types, but virtually all preamps operate in class A, even IC designs.

eis

• Y M I
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2016, 12:47 am »
Thanks everyone for your input, it helps a great deal.