Acoustat Model 3 & McIntosh MC-225?

ozoid

Acoustat Model 3 & McIntosh MC-225?
« on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:01 am »
Will they play well together? These are the Acoustats with the interface that replaced Acoustat's own amplifiers. I've used Audio Research & Bryston solid-state amps, but I'm getting a taste for a vintage tube amp.

Thanks

Freo-1

Re: Acoustat Model 3 & McIntosh MC-225?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2015, 08:39 pm »
The short answer is:  No.  Not enough power.

I had Acoustat Spectra 33's for many years.  The best amps for them, IMHO, is vintage Thresholds.  They LOVE the current from the Thresholds.

If you want to try tubes, need a VTL with at least 75 watts or more.  A MC275 would be worth trying as well.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:33 pm »
I sold Acoustats back in the 80's, I was the fifth largest USA dealer. The Mioscode amps were the best buy back then. I tried Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Dynaco, and Quicksilver  tube amps. With transformers in the Acoustats interfaces and in the tube amps, the sound was to slow and sluggish with very poor bass.The Acoustat TNT 200 worked well, but the Moscodes sounded better. In today's amps, I believe the Marashino Cherry amps would make a good pairing. These amps are lightning fast like the Acoustats are, are very natural sounding. They also have great bass, something that Acoustat III's need.

ozoid

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:15 pm »
The short answer is:  No.  Not enough power.

I had Acoustat Spectra 33's for many years.  The best amps for them, IMHO, is vintage Thresholds.  They LOVE the current from the Thresholds.

If you want to try tubes, need a VTL with at least 75 watts or more.  A MC275 would be worth trying as well.

Thanks. No question it's a bad match long term, and the ARC & Bryston amps I've used were both 100 wpc. And I'm sure the Thresholds were terrific.

I should have been more clear with my question: is there any chance the Acoustats will damage the Mac? My understanding is that Acoustats present something of a weird load, at least sometimes. I'm moving to a room too small for the Acoustats and I want to try a different approach anyway. So the match would be temporary, if for instance I was able to sell my amp and replace it before someone bought my Acoustats. What I want to know is whether hooking up the A's to the Mac would endanger either unit.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:37 pm »
Thanks. No question it's a bad match long term, and the ARC & Bryston amps I've used were both 100 wpc. And I'm sure the Thresholds were terrific.

I should have been more clear with my question: is there any chance the Acoustats will damage the Mac? My understanding is that Acoustats present something of a weird load, at least sometimes. I'm moving to a room too small for the Acoustats and I want to try a different approach anyway. So the match would be temporary, if for instance I was able to sell my amp and replace it before someone bought my Acoustats. What I want to know is whether hooking up the A's to the Mac would endanger either unit.

No, it should not damage the amp.  You won't be able to play it very loud before distortion.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2015, 11:06 pm »
Back when I owned a pair, I drove them with 150w mono SS amps, Kenwood LO7m's with assorted tube pre's.  Anybody remember Precision Fidelity?  Counterpoint SA5?  Still have the Kenwoods but they won't come on they've been idle so long.  I'm guessing that's the reason.  My current "Active" speakers have onboard amps.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2015, 11:20 pm »
No worries on the Mac amp. I have used a Mac before on the III's. If you have a small room, it will play fairly loud.

ozoid

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2015, 02:15 am »
Terrific. Glad to know. Thanks to everyone.