Jeff Rowland Aeris

macrojack

• Restricted
Jeff Rowland Aeris
« on: 27 Apr 2014, 04:04 pm »
I'm not well informed about the world of hi Rez but I am thinking about this DAC because it is said to be very resolving. Therefore I reasoned that if anyone on AC would know about it would be TedB and his ears squad.
So,  ----  how about it. Does anyone here have any personal experience with this DAC?

According to Roy Gregory it is a world beater. That impressed me and I tend to trust Rowland as well but nonetheless I'd like to hear from some audiophiles. JRDG makes world class stuff but has no prior record of providing digital products. Did he hit a home run at his first at bat?

audio.bill

Re: Jeff Rowland Aeris
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2014, 02:16 am »
I have only read great praise about the sonic performance of the Aeris, however there are a couple of technical issues that prevented me from considering it for my system. First is that the USB input is limited to a 96kHz sampling frequency, and second that it does not support DSD decoding. These issues may not be a concern for many users but were a deal breaker for me and I thought you should be aware of them. The SPDIF inputs support sampling rates up to 192kHz.

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Jeff Rowland Aeris
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2014, 12:32 pm »
Interesting points. I'm not sure how much those things would matter to me in practice but I can't afford to ignore any consequences that may lessen my resale potential. Digital resale is already a bleak situation without adding the possibility of virtual obsolescence that a change in format direction might impose.

audio.bill - Your post served as a cold shower. Thanks.