How was LSAF 2011 for AudioKinesis

Norris Wilson

How was LSAF 2011 for AudioKinesis
« on: 20 May 2011, 07:35 pm »
Hi Duke,

How was the show this year?  Did your new speakers go over well?  Pictures and some commentary when you have time would be nice?

Thanks

Norris

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: How was LSAF 2011 for AudioKinesis
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2011, 11:03 pm »
Hi Norris,

Well I forgot my camera so no pictures, but the room was crowded most of the time and I was quite happy with the speakers.  The Prismas were a little bit bass-heavy compared with the Rhythm Prisms I showed last year (artifact of the bigger cabinet), but in a more "normal" room I think they work fine. 

The "secret weapon" I hyped is a rear-firing tweeter.  It's about 10 dB down relative to the front horn, so what it's doing is just filling in a little bit of reverberant energy.  I'll probably post about it a bit more in a dedicated thread at some point.

One person in particular, whose name I won't mention here, but who has visited my room at nearly every show I've done, stayed a while and commented that he thought the Prisma was my best-sounding speaker yet.

sebrof

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2011, 12:07 am »
I really enjoyed the time I spent in the room, and although I agree about the bass being a tad heavy they were still very enjoyable to listen to. Sounded great in fact.
Great discussions as well on speaker theory, LSAF, and music in general.
Thanks for sharing.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2011, 01:40 am »
Duke,

Very interesting about adding a rear-firing tweeter.  I look forward to reading more about your implementation and expected benefits.

My speakers have this option, but I keep it turned off as things never sound "right" to me when it is engaged.

Glad to hear that the show went well for you.

George

Norris Wilson

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2011, 04:36 pm »
Hi Duke,

After reading your comments and others who attended LSAF.  It looks as if the Prismas
were a design success.  The use of a rear firing tweeter is something I have liked in the few speakers I have heard that use them.  I have always been a fan of added ambience, being a benifit to the over all music reproduction, sounds more like a live event to my ears. 
The comment that your latest Prismas model being the best of all your speakers, is a significant one.  I always felt your Dream Maker as being the best of what I have heard of your creations.  The Prismas must be something special.  It is too bad that I was unable to attend this years show.

I hope you do not mind.  But, since you did not take a camera.  I am going to add a link to the pictures that Shane Moore took of LSAF 2011.  There is a nice picture of the AudioKinesis room in the group.

LSAF 2011 pictures:  http://shanemoorephotography.smugmug.com/Electronics/LSAF-2011/17040760_9KzN3W

Thanks for coming to our neck of the woods to show your speakers.  I feel like your room is always one of the best at the show.

Until next year!

Norris

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2011, 04:07 am »
They look huge in that photo. Just what are the specs, weight of these speakers? Do they sit flat on the carpet or is there something beneath them?

Sorry. Never mind. I looked in the other thread and found answers to most of my questions except the "feet" one.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2011, 05:03 am »
Thanks, Norris!  Your absence was felt this year.

Whether the Prismas are "better" than the Dream Makers, well I kinda doubt it, but I'm not going to turn away a compliment. 

Randy, I had six carpet-glider type feet on the bottom of each speaker.  They don't necessarily make 'em "easy" to slide, but easier than rubber feet and a lot easier than spikes.   

Clio09

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2011, 02:08 pm »
Rear firing tweeters have started to intrigue me. I'm actually picking up a pristine pair of Snell E-II's to play around with that have a rear firing tweeter. I'd be interested in hearing Duke's design though. I'm sure it works quite well. Wish I could have been at LSAF.