Spatial M4

rebbi

Re: Spatial M4
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2016, 01:35 pm »
Are those Eminence woofers?

Yes, they are made by Eminence for Clayton. There is a YouTube video where he talks about having worked with them a lot in the past when he was in pro audio manufacturing.  He worked with them on these current Spatial designs, specifying what kind of characteristics  he needed from the drivers and then prototyping back-and-forth until he got what he wanted. His goal, as he says in the video, was to be able to  streamline the manufacturing process and order the drivers in large enough quantities so that economies of scale kicked in and he could get the prices down for the finished product.  Spatial's top-of-the-line speaker, called Luminance, goes into five figure territory, but he's quoted somewhere else as saying, "I don't just want to make toys for rich guys." Here's a photo of one of the woofers:

md92468

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2016, 01:41 pm »
Yes, they are made by Eminence for Clayton. There is a YouTube video where he talks about having worked with them a lot in the past when he was in pro audio manufacturing.  He worked with them on these current Spatial designs, specifying what kind of characteristics  he needed from the drivers and then prototyping back-and-forth until he got what he wanted. His goal, as he says in the video, was to be able to  streamline the manufacturing process and order the drivers in large enough quantities so that economies of scale kicked in and he could get the prices down for the finished product.  Spatial's top-of-the-line speaker, called Luminance, goes into five figure territory, but he's quoted somewhere else as saying, "I don't just want to make toys for rich guys." Here's a photo of one of the woofers:

Great minds...I had posted a link to that video just a few minutes before your reply. ;)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2016, 02:01 pm »
Anyone own the M3Turbo? 

erniek

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2016, 06:28 pm »
Anyone compare the Spatial's to the Emerald physics speakers? I am considering one or the other this spring and will more than likely make a purchase at Axpona. Currently am interested in the M3's but this M4 review seems quite good.

erniek

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2016, 07:11 pm »
I also wonder how much room affects the different models.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2016, 07:30 pm »
I also wonder how much room affects the different models.
A room has the biggest effect on any speaker so yes there is an effect.  With the M3T for instance, the larger the better the result will be. 

md92468

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2016, 08:04 pm »
Anyone compare the Spatial's to the Emerald physics speakers? I am considering one or the other this spring and will more than likely make a purchase at Axpona. Currently am interested in the M3's but this M4 review seems quite good.

I've not heard the two A/Bd with the same ancillary equipment, but I did hear their respective rooms at RMAF in 2014 and found the Spatials to be easier on the ear (for me). I thought the EPs were dynamic but fatiguing; the treble in particular was too bright and etched for my liking. That's not at all the case with the Spatials (which I now own).

Aural memory has its challenges, of course...but I do remember leaving the EP room within 15 minutes, but returning to the Spatial room three times. And, of course, I did vote with my wallet for the latter. Take that for what it's worth.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2016, 03:14 pm by md92468 »

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jan 2016, 02:18 pm »
My 2 cents. I received my Spatial M4's Turbo Monday afternoon. First impression, well packed, foam protection where needed, top and bottom, protecting the drivers. The are not double boxed though, and I suggest that for at least air shipping. I used USPS 3 day Priority and it worked pretty well. There were some gashes around the box in one of the speakers but the speakers were not touched. As you can see they are satin red and beautiful. They will reach the 100 hour break in target in 2 hours and this assessment is right, it is now that they are starting to sound beautiful. I suspect that they might need another 50 to 60 hours more to reach their optimum performance. Soundwise nothing different that what has been said everywhere including this thread. Compared to my main previous speakers, Reference Line MM de deCapo's, they have more  bass and are more dynamic. They also throw a larger soundstage and are about the same depthwise so far. BTW I listen near field though my room is only 12'x11'. Musically they are direct, no sugar coating here, what the recording offers is what you get. I was afraid they would be too forward and shrill sounding but this has not been the case and they are getting smoother every hour,.

Maybe Rebbi can make some comments regarding the deCapo's, though I remember he had or has a pair. Really good speakers. The Spatials are 1 db more efficient so my 25 w First Watt amp is having a feast. It delivers 40w into 4 ohms though. I keep connecting on and off my Vandersteen 2W sw and let me tell that I am not convinced yet if It is needed. The Spatials project a very tuned and dynamic bass that I think the 2W does not have. Before the 60 or 70 hour mark I could not integrate the 2w very well though the Spatials bass was kind of  disorganized, one could say. Hell of a pair of speakers recommended!

Manolo

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jan 2016, 02:28 pm »
Sorry for the double photos! And forgot to mention the spectaculae attention and service from Ryan Tew at Red Dragon Audio.

kgturner

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jan 2016, 03:22 pm »
Great system! Is that my old Chardonnay I spy in your rack? Before moving to a computer based setup, I was a big 47 Labs fan. I also had the Shigaraki transport and DAC. Just really good stuff. I bet your setup sounds amazing!

Kevin T

rebbi

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jan 2016, 03:25 pm »
My 2 cents. I received my Spatial M4's Turbo Monday afternoon. First impression, well packed, foam protection where needed, top and bottom, protecting the drivers. The are not double boxed though, and I suggest that for at least air shipping. I used USPS 3 day Priority and it worked pretty well. There were some gashes around the box in one of the speakers but the speakers were not touched. As you can see they are satin red and beautiful. They will reach the 100 hour break in target in 2 hours and this assessment is right, it is now that they are starting to sound beautiful. I suspect that they might need another 50 to 60 hours more to reach their optimum performance. Soundwise nothing different that what has been said everywhere including this thread. Compared to my main previous speakers, Reference Line MM de deCapo's, they have more  bass and are more dynamic. They also throw a larger soundstage and are about the same depthwise so far. BTW I listen near field though my room is only 12'x11'. Musically they are direct, no sugar coating here, what the recording offers is what you get. I was afraid they would be too forward and shrill sounding but this has not been the case and they are getting smoother every hour,.

Maybe Rebbi can make some comments regarding the deCapo's, though I remember he had or has a pair. Really good speakers. The Spatials are 1 db more efficient so my 25 w First Watt amp is having a feast. It delivers 40w into 4 ohms though. I keep connecting on and off my Vandersteen 2W sw and let me tell that I am not convinced yet if It is needed. The Spatials project a very tuned and dynamic bass that I think the 2W does not have. Before the 60 or 70 hour mark I could not integrate the 2w very well though the Spatials bass was kind of  disorganized, one could say. Hell of a pair of speakers recommended!

I will definitely post more later, including, eventually, a review on my blog, but at this point I can say that the M4's  wipe the floor with the De Capo's,  steal their lunch money and make them clean their fish tank. And considering how good the Reference 3a's are, that's really saying something.    :lol:

Manolo

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jan 2016, 05:01 pm »
Yes Kevin that is your Supratek Chardonnay...... And Rebbi, can you post your blog's address?

rebbi

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jan 2016, 07:38 pm »
Yes Kevin that is your Supratek Chardonnay...... And Rebbi, can you post your blog's address?

Steve's Audio Blog!

md92468

« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2016, 05:01 pm »
Gotta say, these puppies just keep getting better - more open, more dynamic every day.  Great at low volumes, too.

happyrabbit

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:00 pm »
couple more pics.  long story short...  I perfer the dipole sound field from the Omega's.  ymmv.

Dwight

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=135334

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=135335

apstoltz

« Reply #35 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:19 pm »
The m4 are on my very short list. I love the red finish.

rebbi

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:20 pm »
couple more pics.  long story short...  I perfer the dipole sound field from the Omega's.  ymmv.

Dwight

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=135334

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=135335

Interesting! Well, "horses for courses," as the Brits like to say.   8)

rebbi

« Reply #37 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:22 pm »
The m4 are on my very short list. I love the red finish.

Mine are black, but yeah, I agree, the red is VERY sharp. From the pictures it looks kind of brownish red, is that right; I mean, not a fire engine red?

kgturner

« Reply #38 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:57 pm »
Here's a pic of the red M4 on static display from last years RMAF.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jan 2016, 12:13 am »
Thanks for the photo for scale - I had pictured them in my mind as being a lot bigger from looking at the advert photos.

Interesting to read Dwight's opinion.  I wonder (ask?) if maybe part of this opinion is due to the Omegas being open baffle all the way to the top of the frequency range, while the Spatials are using a closed back tweeter?  Having personally played with a pair of coaxials from GR's super-v with the backs of the compression tweeters cut open (as well as using the same drivers as intended with the closed back cup prior to having them opened up), there was very much a sense of ease and settlement that having the tweeter running dipole gave to the equation that completely changed the character of the driver - in my opinion for the better.

I wonder if Clayton has played with opening up the back of either his stock compression driver or the new one advertised on the M3 and M4 turbo-s?