Good Match For My Equipment?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Good Match For My Equipment?
« on: 13 Nov 2015, 06:41 pm »
Hello allI am using a Bryson 4b sst2. Power ampIs this passive pre a good match for my power , any users could share their setup and the nature of sound.
Thanks
Babu

[moved this here from another post]

Hi Babu,

Others are of course free to offer their input but offhand I don't see any obvious reasons why not. However, a closer look at the specs of your amp reveals a wide range of input impedances depending on mode etc. Assuming you are using Individual mode/singled ended you have plenty of impedance headroom assuming your sources' output impedances are say 1k or less - most are way less than this although there are exceptions.

If your sources' output impedances are on the low end of a few hundred ohms or especially if down in the single digits then your amp should work well regardless of mode/type.

To put some broader perspective on this, it's quite clear from the accumulated feedback from customers that it's actually quite rare that our passive preamps don't fit well.

** from the Bryston amp specs **
Input Impedance: Individual mode:
                             Single ended ≈ 60K Ohms
                             Balanced ≈ 20K Ohms
                             Bridged mode:
                             Single ended ≈ 15K Ohms Balanced ≈ 10K Ohms
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2015, 03:33 pm by tortugaranger »

krbabu

Re: Good Match For My Equipment?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2015, 12:08 pm »
Thanks for your genuine feed back

Kind regards

nuhi

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2015, 12:01 am »
Coincidence, or Morten has added some NSA-grade hardware in the unit, but I just got the LDR1.V2B, and it is working great with Bryston 4B SST, sources being Slimdevices Transporter or RME ADI8-QS, balanced.

Transporter has more bass, but that could be the nature of the source, saw it in some reviews.
Interestingly, preamp works the loudest/most dynamic with the lowest impedance settings, opposite to the common practice.
Don't know why and I am still about to do more testing if the currently softer sounding higher impedance values are maybe better in other areas.
I started with switching between 1k, 10k, 20k, 40k, 60k. 1k was the best, as it seemed the loudest, cleanest, most forward.

Transporter Balanced Analog Outputs
• Impedance: 100 Ohms

RME ADI8-QS Line Out 1-8, TRS
• Impedance: 75 Ohm

One interesting tidbit I found out by reading the Bryston's Circle forum was that 4B SST is not fully balanced throughout, just on the input circuitry (only 7B and higher are). Kinda a bummer, and maybe has something to do with the weird optimum preamp impedance in the balanced mode (haven't tried single-ended).

craig sawyers

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2015, 11:54 am »

** from the Bryston amp specs **
Input Impedance: Individual mode:
                             Single ended ≈ 60K Ohms
                             Balanced ≈ 20K Ohms
                             Bridged mode:
                             Single ended ≈ 15K Ohms Balanced ≈ 10K Ohms

That makes sense looking at Bryston's schematic - which they are good enough to provide on their website http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Schematics/4BSST2_SCHEMATICS.pdf

But note that it has the classic Pin 1 problem, with pin 1 grounded to the signal ground on the circuit board.

Craig