What classical music you listening to, luv?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #1140 on: 1 Mar 2015, 03:24 am »
Havergal in SACD may be interesting:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/10394

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1141 on: 7 Mar 2015, 01:55 am »
Thanks to Jim, I've been listening to my new copy of Havergal Brian's 6th symphony.  I picked up a copy on Lyrita and the recording is stunningly dynamic.  The cover is like the photo except the sym. #

ACHiPo

« Reply #1142 on: 7 Mar 2015, 04:07 pm »
Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto No. 3, 5 Etudes-tableaux
Leif Ove Andsnes

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1143 on: 7 Mar 2015, 04:35 pm »
Comparing the Tokyo FM SACD of Karajan doing Beethoven's 9th with the SACD Deutches Gramophon recording.  The Tokyo FM version certainly has better sound quality, but I think the DG version has more drive and energy, which I like:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1144 on: 7 Mar 2015, 07:11 pm »
I have posted many Scandinavian label releases in the past and ACHiPo posted one, too, just above from Opus 3  No doubt I've said this before, but labels from that part of the world like BIS, Opus 3, Finnadar and Proprius are consistently top shelf recordings.  Simple mike technique is deployed on orchestral ones like two on a stick or hung from a wire and they give you the whole enchilada.  The ALL.  Your volume control is your ticket to admission for near, mid, or a deep hall perspective. 

"Black in the Color" from Cyndee Peters (Opus 3) is an exception- it's multi miked- but reach-out-and-touch-it real.  The atmosphere, too.  A new find is Sibelius' Sym no 1 also on Opus 3, I think.  It's on loan to a pal who burns me discs and uses a top shelf Lyra cart, a Titan something-or-another, I believe.  That's quite a contrast from my Koetsu and playing the disc it's as tho I have one, too.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1145 on: 12 Mar 2015, 02:58 am »
Beethoven: Piano Concertos, Triple Concerto / Abbado, Pollini, Berlin Po, Et Al

S Clark

« Reply #1146 on: 12 Mar 2015, 04:03 am »
Anyone interested in about 100 Beethoven lp's?  $100
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133094.msg1411441#new

etcarroll

« Reply #1147 on: 14 Mar 2015, 05:57 pm »
Beethoven* -  Barry Douglas   ‎– Piano Sonata In B-Flat, Op. 106 "Hammerklavier". Andante Favori, WoO 57

etcarroll

« Reply #1148 on: 15 Mar 2015, 02:56 pm »
Beethoven: Piano Concerto Nos 2 & 5 Emperor

S Clark

« Reply #1149 on: 15 Mar 2015, 03:24 pm »
ET, I'm not familiar with either of these pianist.  Can you give us a bit of description of what you like about them? 

etcarroll

« Reply #1150 on: 16 Mar 2015, 02:28 am »
SC -

The first was simply a NM, $1 find I grabbed. It's the only time I ever heard of Mr. Douglas, and with 1 listen under my belt I'd be hesitant to describe it.

Now Mr. O'Conor is a different matter, I have a few of his works on Telarc CD, great sound to go with a warm and expressive playing. He doesn't try to 'fight' LBV into what he thinks it should say, he simply lets the master's work flow through him. Warm, clear, expressive, engaging and lyrical are the words that come to mind. He studied LBV piano works with the German pianist Wilhelm Kempff.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend his playing to anyone looking for a new vision of Beethoven's piano works.

rockadanny

« Reply #1151 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:41 pm »
Mozart: Horn Concertos/ Quintet, K. 452
Philharmonia Orchestra/Herbert Von Karajan/Dennis Brain

I really like this. Any other similar recommendations?

Randy

« Reply #1152 on: 17 Mar 2015, 08:51 pm »
Mozart: Horn Concertos/ Quintet, K. 452
Philharmonia Orchestra/Herbert Von Karajan/Dennis Brain

I really like this. Any other similar recommendations?

Check out his piano concertos. If you like the horn concertos, you should like the piano concertos which are greater works, from numbers 11 or 12 and on up, anyway.

rockadanny

« Reply #1153 on: 18 Mar 2015, 01:56 am »
Thanks!  :thumb:
Will do!

Randy

« Reply #1154 on: 18 Mar 2015, 02:20 am »
Thanks!  :thumb:
Will do!

Since I see with the Brain horn concertos you are not adverse to older recordings, here's a way to get the piano concertos all in one fell swoop, and at a good price. http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-Concertos/dp/B00004YZ36/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1426644762&sr=1-1&keywords=mozart+piano+concertos+anda

I have this set and love it They are still considered by some to be definitive, and the recordings are excellent for their era. Later, if you like, you can branch out to the outstanding Brendel/Marriner set, or the Uchida/Tate recordings, also great. You can sample some of them at rock bottom prices via used selections on Amazon.

rockadanny

« Reply #1155 on: 18 Mar 2015, 11:16 am »
Excellent info Randy, thank you!  :thumb:
I think I will get that box set.

S Clark

« Reply #1156 on: 21 Mar 2015, 02:12 am »
Horowitz Classics Record Library box set... basically Columbia recordings from the mid 70's.  Picked up a mint 4lp box for $3 and set down to listen.  Not the cleanest pressings, typical 70's classical recordings.  Horowitz doesn't mesmerize me with his technique as he used to, but when he is on, he does things that no other 20th century pianist could do.  All of it is played with mastery, but not all of it connects with me.  Except for Schubert.  The man gets Schubert, and when he plays his Arabesque, the rest of the world fades away.  Can't find a photo, so...

S Clark

« Reply #1157 on: 27 Mar 2015, 12:04 am »
Appalachian Spring on Sound 80.  Maybe the best digital recording I've got.  The Saint Paul chamber orchestra does an intimate smaller scale take on this beautiful piece by Copland... instead of the usual full orchestra, which was a re-write. The piece was written for a small group.  The TAS people keep over looking this, so it's still available on ebay for well less than it's worth.  The digital system is one designed by 3M, and is damn sure better than anything done by the Sony system... but beta was better than VHS too, but quality doesn't always win out. 

ACHiPo

« Reply #1158 on: 29 Mar 2015, 04:55 pm »
Maria Callas and Giuseppe Di Stefano
I Pagliacci

ACHiPo

« Reply #1159 on: 5 Apr 2015, 02:30 pm »
Stravinsky The Firebird Complete 1910 Version
Toronto Symphony Orchestra Kazuyoshi Akiyama

Great performance, recording, and pressing.  Just wish it was analog, but as most things I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.