Question for Danny...

JoshK

Question for Danny...
« on: 31 Mar 2003, 03:44 pm »
I was wondering about the Criterions.  They look really cool and I would be interested in building some soon for my HT system.  The question I have is can the dimensions of these monitors be changed, keeping the volume fixed, without deterementing effects.  Namely, could one build the monitor with the same baffle width but less deep and more tall?   Would this change the sonics all else being equal?

Danny Richie

changing sizes
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2003, 10:54 pm »
Well Josh,

This is a fairly small speaker.

There is not much air space there to begin with. It is only .25 cubic feet of air space.

To minimize internal standing wave problems I would want to make these as deep as possible. Making the front baffle as small as possible still does not leave too much depth though.

You could always make it a little taller by adding layers of MDF in the floor.

JoshK

Question for Danny...
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2003, 11:01 pm »
I guess I was just wondering as my wife has a preference for narrow and tall speakers as opposed to "boxey" speaker.  She just doesn't like the cube look.

JoshK

Question for Danny...
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2003, 11:04 pm »
:oops:

JoshK

Question for Danny...
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2003, 11:04 pm »
:oops:

BikeWNC

Question for Danny...
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2003, 12:18 am »
Ok Josh, we get the point.   :lol:   I currently have a demo pair of Criterions here on audition.  I don't find them boxy looking, though they are about as deep as they are tall.  You could always build the MTM version, which would be taller by the diameter of the extra driver.

Andy

JoshK

Question for Danny...
« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2003, 02:19 am »
I was also looking to see if it could be fudged into a wall mountable speaker by porting it to the front.  Guess not.   Sorry for the previous repetition, the server kept giving me an error so I tried again and didn't realize that it was multi posting.   :oops: