OB Speakers and the Cardas Rule

Wind Chaser

Re: OB Speakers and the Cardas Rule
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2017, 06:24 pm »
What you're suggesting isn't practical for the vast majority of rooms and living situations.

True, if you don't have enough room or an adequately proportioned room, then this is a no go. But if you are privileged with a room where you can do this, then this is the bomb!

If I did what you're proposing in my room, I'd be sitting 3 feet from the speakers!

And you're speakers would be about 4' from each other. That's near field! However if you can place you speakers a little closer to the front wall (and still maintain at least 3 feet from the front wall) with the listening chair at least 2' from the back wall, you might have a little more room to work with.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2017, 06:30 pm »
I'm curious as to how you determined where the seating position goes by using the distance between the speakers

Through trial and error by listening and a lot of experimentation. My seating position remained static while I kept moving the speakers wider and wider apart until I couldn't go any wider. Your ears will tell you when it's time to stop. The exact arrangement depends on a few things including the dispersion pattern of the speakers. On that point keep in mind we have different speakers; mine limit the dispersion to 80°, not sure about yours. I know you have room treatments, but it’s not the same thing as controlled delivery. Nonetheless 90° is a good starting point. You might end up with a somewhat tighter arrangement by a few degrees.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #22 on: 14 Dec 2017, 12:18 am »
For our listening room and the listening rooms that we've set up at the shows, we've found that what is ideal is for the listener to be a little further away from the speakers than they are from each other.

For my listening room I'm sitting about a foot or so farther back than what my speakers are apart. So, it sounds like I'm on the right track. You mentioned in the other Super V thread going right now that putting up diffusion on the front wall will help with the top end being a little hot so I'll try that as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:30 am »
For my listening room I'm sitting about a foot or so farther back than what my speakers are apart. So, it sounds like I'm on the right track. You mentioned in the other Super V thread going right now that putting up diffusion on the front wall will help with the top end being a little hot so I'll try that as well.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 14 Dec 2017, 05:15 pm »
One thing I have learned is to keep on experimenting... even when you think you’ve nailed it. Why? Because chances are you haven’t. I’ve spent several months positioning and repositioning and I’ve been surprised more than a few times along the way. My final result is vastly better than the many points along the way where I might have otherwise stopped had I not persevered. The effort was serious and the difference stupendous.

Greg, you’ve got a pretty decent room with amazing potential, so don’t short change yourself with mediocrity. Put the effort in and reap the reward.