The Flat 5 is ready (new pics on page 2)

ctviggen

Re: The Flat 5 is ready.
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2017, 11:32 pm »
Is it possible to make a front cover for it?

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2017, 12:31 am »
Looks great Danny! Are you using this as a sound bar for the bedroom setup? Would the Flat 5 design lend itself to being used as a sound bar?

No, it's just a center channel. My left and right mains for that system will be LGK 1.0's mounted on brackets holding them just off the wall.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2017, 12:33 am »
Is it possible to make a front cover for it?

It is possible, but there isn't much room left for a grill frame and a frame really would disrupt the response.

Hmmm, looks or performance.... There is always someone that has to have both.

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2017, 09:02 pm »
I now have the flat 5 and Skinny 6's up and playing in a system.

When my wife first saw the Flat 5, she said, "that's it. That looks good." She typically is prepared for a monster sized speaker. She really liked how well in blended in with everything and was not noticed. And it was a cheap and easy Duratex coated cabinet.

Oh yeah, and it sounds great. Vocals during TV watching is much cleaner.

And I am testing these out, not with thousands of dollars worth of gear in a perfectly treated room, but with an inexpensive receiver and in a room with no room treatment.

These are the first speakers that I have designed specifically for little to no room treatment. The dispersion is controlled and the lower range that typically becomes boomy is left to the subs where there is more flexibility and control.

And for small speakers these really sound big. They can really fill the room.

Next I'll add some servo subs, a projector, and a large screen. And I might experiment with some room treatment because I can't help myself. I have to know what is ideal.

And I'll have to figure out a way to build an equipment rack and stand for the Flat 5.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2017, 09:07 pm »
What dimensions did you use for the base of the Skinny 6?

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2017, 09:14 pm »
What dimensions did you use for the base of the Skinny 6?

They were some bases that came off of some freight damaged speakers from many years ago. I Duratex'ed them and painted them the same color as the trim molding in the room. I think they worked out okay. They were really thick and heavy too.  :thumb:

LittleWoodenBoy

Re: The Flat 5 is ready (new pics on page 2)
« Reply #26 on: 3 Nov 2017, 11:18 pm »
Ordered mine today.  Looking forward to it.  Next I'll need to upgrade my mains.

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 4 Nov 2017, 05:43 pm »
Beauty,  looks great Danny  :thumb:
Might have to consider a set of these  for upstairs  here at some point...

jay

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2017, 12:42 am »
My parts came and look cool.  My first question.  Since I'm making an over sized baffle, what do I do about the box?  I assume the volume needs to be the same.  Do the dimensions matter?  I can over size the box to match the baffle and make it shallower.  I could also just make the box to spec and glue it to the baffle with the edges overhanging.  Any reason to do one thing or another?
Thanks,
Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 10 Nov 2017, 03:36 am »
My parts came and look cool.  My first question.  Since I'm making an over sized baffle, what do I do about the box?  I assume the volume needs to be the same.  Do the dimensions matter?  I can over size the box to match the baffle and make it shallower.  I could also just make the box to spec and glue it to the baffle with the edges overhanging.  Any reason to do one thing or another?
Thanks,
Mike

Are yours the ones I sent out for the in-wall version?

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #30 on: 10 Nov 2017, 04:51 am »
We didn't talk about that.  Invoice 1711061  They are replacing drawers in a built in cabinet / counter thing.  Should we have talked about it?

Currently the center is a cheapo from Amazon.  It is way better than 2.0, but isn't super good looking and is a little harsh and abrasive sounding.  XLS Encores live on the counter top and get moved to stands for 2.1 music listening.  I just want to understand what people are saying in movies and on tv.  My wife is growing tired of me going back to check captions.  Are modern things mixed with the dialog in the center which is then lost in a zero budget mix-down to 2 channel, or am I just getting old?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 10 Nov 2017, 02:39 pm »
We didn't talk about that.  Invoice 1711061  They are replacing drawers in a built in cabinet / counter thing.  Should we have talked about it?

Currently the center is a cheapo from Amazon.  It is way better than 2.0, but isn't super good looking and is a little harsh and abrasive sounding.  XLS Encores live on the counter top and get moved to stands for 2.1 music listening.  I just want to understand what people are saying in movies and on tv.  My wife is growing tired of me going back to check captions.  Are modern things mixed with the dialog in the center which is then lost in a zero budget mix-down to 2 channel, or am I just getting old?

Mike

I designed a version for in wall mounting with no baffle step loss. So the filters are different. If you have added surfaces above and below then this configuration might work out better for you.

For the base model the small baffle size needs to be used as per the plans.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2017, 12:33 am »
Ok.  Well, I'll have significant extra baffle below and 2-3 inches above.  If you think I should order parts for the other filter, let me know and I'll call you later.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2017, 03:22 pm »
Ok.  Well, I'll have significant extra baffle below and 2-3 inches above.  If you think I should order parts for the other filter, let me know and I'll call you later.

Mike

That is going to make the lower vocal range a little heavy. You might want the filter version for the in-wall mounting. I'll swap them out with you.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2017, 06:09 am »
Sounds good.  Will you be around early next week?

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2017, 03:52 pm »
Sounds good.  Will you be around early next week?

I am around all the time.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #36 on: 20 Nov 2017, 01:32 pm »
Can you clarify something about the drawing?  There seems to be one section in the box that is sealed off from the rest.  Do I orient the two brace B's to make that sealed section the front area that includes the center driver?

Thanks,
Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 20 Nov 2017, 02:47 pm »
Can you clarify something about the drawing?  There seems to be one section in the box that is sealed off from the rest.  Do I orient the two brace B's to make that sealed section the front area that includes the center driver?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, the center driver is in its own sealed air space.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2017, 01:33 am »
Internally, are any of the dimensions important, or just the volume?  And in general, how tight is the sweet spot?  Should I be shooting for +/- 10%? 1% 0.1%

Hopefully I'll have time to get it done tomorrow except for the finish.

Thanks,
Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2017, 02:47 pm »
Internally, are any of the dimensions important, or just the volume?  And in general, how tight is the sweet spot?  Should I be shooting for +/- 10%? 1% 0.1%

Hopefully I'll have time to get it done tomorrow except for the finish.

Thanks,
Mike

The volume is important and the surface area around the center driver.

The off axis response from the LGK driver is great. You'll have good coverage at any seating position.