The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Danny Richie

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #260 on: 24 Dec 2017, 04:22 am »
The Super V and the Super 7 are not the same size. The Super 7 is much larger so all of the panels have to be different that the Super V.

What are you thinking Danny?

I am thinking of exploring a few more sources for baffles.

Captainhemo

« Reply #261 on: 31 Dec 2017, 04:26 am »
sorry,  deleted

johnnybravo

« Reply #262 on: 31 Dec 2017, 05:56 am »
Count me in as interested and willing to share in a baffle/cabinet buy.. And parts kit buy too, duh  :D
Was looking at the PureAudio 15 Quintet? for next year but think I may prefer the S7s.
Keith in Houston

SteveKi

« Reply #263 on: 31 Dec 2017, 01:14 pm »
Danny,
Do all of these Wave Guides need to be different depending on the speaker it is used in? Or has your Wave Guide design evolved over the years to a standard Wave Guide.
Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #264 on: 31 Dec 2017, 02:31 pm »
Danny,
Do all of these Wave Guides need to be different depending on the speaker it is used in? Or has your Wave Guide design evolved over the years to a standard Wave Guide.
Steve

Each wave guide effects the response differently. So any change requires a change in crossover design to adjust for it.

SteveKi

« Reply #265 on: 31 Dec 2017, 05:35 pm »

Danny,
Trying to find a decent picture of the wave guide, it does look complicated.

About 1/2" to the right and left of the speakers there is an edge. Is this there for audio reasons or is it just a channel for the speaker grill?
Steve

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #266 on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:08 pm »
Seeing Steve's picture and vaguely going off of memory on what the back side of the baffle tweeter waveguide looks like got me wondering something for folks brainstorming on how to most efficiently get the needed machining done.

Rather than getting the entire baffles machined/milled to accommodate the tweeter waveguides, could just the raised portions (front and back) around the tweeter be machined (smaller part sizes than even the wedgie baffles, I think?  Most realistically from MDF?) with a fitment/placement guide for both pieces included on flat baffle dimensional plans like those for the rest of the GR kits? 

I'm thinking the rest of the baffle looks like par for the course compared to many of the other kits (drill/saw/router work), then the OEM-made waveguide bits could be glued into the proper position on the user-made baffles.  The end result would be a kit form that Danny could stock in TX that takes up very little additional warehousing space, minimizes materials cost and shipping around otherwise larger baffle pieces, and would still keep the kit something that would fit in compact shipping boxes with the rest of the parts/drivers for final delivery to customers?

I think the advantage to this approach on this specific kit, as opposed to trying the same with the wedgie/otica waveguides is that one doesn't need to make a more complex part (from a manufacturing perspective) flush-mountable front plate/mounting bracket for the tweeter, in this case it sits in an MDF sandwich to both end up waveguided and keep all the planar drivers on the same plane front-back?

mikeeastman

« Reply #267 on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:41 pm »
I just found a web page of an audio dealer, Care Audio selling Super 7s both new and demos. Here is a link http://care-audio.com/loudspeakersprd

SteveKi

« Reply #268 on: 31 Dec 2017, 07:31 pm »
Seeing Steve's picture and vaguely going off of memory on what the back side of the baffle tweeter waveguide looks like got me wondering something for folks brainstorming on how to most efficiently get the needed machining done.

Also from earlier in this thread (#49). It looks pretty plain from the back.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #269 on: 31 Dec 2017, 07:34 pm »
I just found a web page of an audio dealer, Care Audio selling Super 7s both new and demos. Here is a link http://care-audio.com/loudspeakersprd

My Guess is they have one demo for $10,000.00 and can make you one for for $20,000.00. Very good pricing considering how good they are.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #270 on: 31 Dec 2017, 07:55 pm »
Also from earlier in this thread (#49). It looks pretty plain from the back.

Sorry that I didn't remember/see that picture earlier in the thread.  That kind of shoots my idea down, as it looks like the back side tweeter waveguide is machined out of/in to the back of the baffle board.  For some reason I had it in my head that it was proud of it.

Carry on, folks.  :oops: :duh:

Joemamma

« Reply #271 on: 1 Jan 2018, 01:19 am »
If this ever comes to fruition, sign me up, I would ultimately like to have a pair of these down the line.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #272 on: 1 Jan 2018, 01:46 am »
Just need enough people to be  onboard.... we'll do it at that point.
I have to take the  prototype baffle from Danny , make  a 3D model and 2D drawoing   then  go from there.    There is some other stuff I'm  working on withthiese  drivers rifht now and I want to see the  results first

Just    hang tight

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #273 on: 1 Jan 2018, 01:48 am »
My Guess is they have one demo for $10,000.00 and can make you one for for $20,000.00. Very good pricing considering how good they are.

It looks more like they are trying to sell something that they don't have. They didn't even take a picture of the pair that they have, if they have a pair. That picture was one of mine that they cropped. 

ebag4

« Reply #274 on: 1 Jan 2018, 03:39 am »
Just need enough people to be  onboard.... we'll do it at that point.
I have to take the  prototype baffle from Danny , make  a 3D model and 2D drawoing   then  go from there.    There is some other stuff I'm  working on withthiese  drivers rifht now and I want to see the  results first

Hey Jay, you have my attention, can you share any info on the "other stuff"?  Interested in the Super 7 baffle as well.

Happy New Year,
Ed

orientalexpress

« Reply #275 on: 1 Jan 2018, 04:25 am »
I’m on board jay  :thumb:

Lap

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #276 on: 1 Jan 2018, 05:37 am »
Jay,

You can count me in for a pair or two of the baffles also.

Mike

gab

« Reply #277 on: 1 Jan 2018, 09:36 pm »
Jay - I am on board for a pair of baffles as well. I heard these at LSAF the one year they were there and it was the best at the show and perhaps the best I have heard anywhere. And I have LS6s as my reference.

gab

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #278 on: 1 Jan 2018, 09:36 pm »

Well, looks like this company is out of business. I emailed their customer support a few days ago and didn't get a response. With the holiday didn't think much of it.

So today I tried calling in and the phone has been disconnected. Then I looked at their New Year special and it was for 2017 not 2018 :scratch:

Now, if my modified Super V's only were the same size as the Super 7 I would be golden with Jay's plan. Otherwise I will have to start from scratch except for the woofers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #279 on: 1 Jan 2018, 10:56 pm »
Are the BG Neo10s that are available at Parts Expresss the same as the ones used in the Super 7? If not will they work or is modification required, either of the drivers or the crossover?