The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

OzarkTom

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #340 on: 12 Apr 2018, 08:22 pm »
I bought Dueland Alexander caps one time, they finally sounded great, but first 500 hours, pure fatigue.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #341 on: 16 Apr 2018, 08:38 pm »
Jupiter 10uf and 15uf copper/paper/wax caps came in today.  Just got them soldered in.  Listening to my first few tracks right now.  DAYUM!  These are a huge, huge, huge step up over the ClarityCap MRs (bypassed with .22 Jupiters) that I was using before. 

It's like switching from speaker wire made out of aluminum to speaker wire made out of very good copper.  Which, in a way, is exactly what I did.  At this point, as far as I can tell, there's not any aluminum foil in any cap anywhere in the signal path.  Except maybe in my Auralic Vega, but I'm fine with that, for now - hahaha!

Anyway, a bit more info on the sound change - DETAILS!  They just jump out at you.  I feel like I've never heard this level of detail before, on any system.  It's at the same level as what I normally hear from top-level headphones.  And everything sounds much BIGGER!  More life size.  Hell, maybe even larger than life (which I love).  Downsides?  They clearly need some burn in, as they are a bit rough/gritty sounding with zero burn in.  But even the grittiness isn't irritating, rather it just presents everything with a "Tom Waits" sort of vibe. 

I'll report back as things develop. 

After about 5 hours these turned nasty - shallow, etched, flat and spitty sounding.  I’m at about 30 hours now and still pretty rough.  Sigh.  How long is full burn in?

Danny Richie

« Reply #342 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:02 pm »
After about 5 hours these turned nasty - shallow, etched, flat and spitty sounding.  I’m at about 30 hours now and still pretty rough.  Sigh.  How long is full burn in?

Sadly those caps should take a long time to burn in. I am sure they recommend 400 to 500 hours.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #343 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:04 pm »
Sadly those caps should take a long time to burn in. I am sure they recommend 400 to 500 hours.

Kinda makes me want to pull out my solid state amp to use during the burn in.  Save some of the tubes life. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #344 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:07 pm »
Kinda makes me want to pull out my solid state amp to use during the burn in.  Save some of the tubes life.

That's what I do when burning something in. Hook up a SS amp and leave them playing almost 24/7. I turn them down real low at night then louder during the day when everybody is gone. That will get you there in about 3 weeks.

mikeeastman

« Reply #345 on: 16 Apr 2018, 09:47 pm »
I found they didn't start coming onto their own until at least 300 hrs and very close 400 hrs they were pretty close to 95%.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #346 on: 1 May 2018, 03:53 pm »
Yeah,  was supposed to get  an updated baffle  yesterday, hoping it will arrive today  so I can get it  off to danny. 

jay
Figured I'd throw out the usual query and see if there have been any changes/updates to the possibility of the Super-7's as a kit/flat pack.

Danny Richie

« Reply #347 on: 1 May 2018, 05:11 pm »
Figured I'd throw out the usual query and see if there have been any changes/updates to the possibility of the Super-7's as a kit/flat pack.

I just received a new baffle to measure and test with. It looks real nice and rear mounts all of the drivers. Jay could probably post a few pics of it.

So it is in the works.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #348 on: 2 May 2018, 12:05 am »
I just received a new baffle to measure and test with. It looks real nice and rear mounts all of the drivers. Jay could probably post a few pics of it.

So it is in the works.
Great to hear!  Looking forward to this one

Captainhemo

« Reply #349 on: 2 May 2018, 01:15 am »
Reworked the   Neo3 waveguide a bit with these and put all the Neo 10's in waveguides as well.  Should  hopefully smoothen out he  Neo3 even more  and  extend the  low end of the Neo10's  by a bit 
All drivers are flush mounted in recess's on rear  side of baffle, inner driver  pockets are cut so  drivers  sit up tight to the rear face of the  waveguides.   Driver  mounting screw holes are all pre-drilled for easy assembly.

A couple of the  drawing/rendering as well

the drawings look a bit skewed, it's  just the perspective
jay

orientalexpress

« Reply #350 on: 2 May 2018, 01:37 am »
Sweet :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #351 on: 2 May 2018, 01:41 am »
You rock Jay!  Very nice.  You mentioned earlier it is about 30” tall, did this change?  Would you share the width as well?  I guess Danny will determine the wing dimensions during tests and measurements.

Thanks,
Ed

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #352 on: 2 May 2018, 01:56 am »
...and all y'all thought you had it bad trying to veneer one little tweeter waveguide...  :lol: :green:

Glad to see progress made!  Also, interesting to consider that this would give Danny an opportunity to maybe tweak the design with an asymmetrical wing pattern.  If the baffle width lines up with the "standard" width of the H-frame servo woofers, this build could end up about as easy to put together for folks as a Super-V, with the preformed upper baffle and all.  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #353 on: 2 May 2018, 02:09 am »
You rock Jay!  Very nice.  You mentioned earlier it is about 30” tall, did this change?  Would you share the width as well?  I guess Danny will determine the wing dimensions during tests and measurements.

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks Ed.  There is a basic   shape idea for the wings already and I actually added .5" to each side of the  baffles so they can fit into dado's in the wings.  The inner  dimension between the wings will be  13", same as the inner dimension of the  subs.
I've actually been   working on a way  to have these   bolt onto  the  upper module of  our modular sub towers instead of the  normal top panel.   the  top section wigns would also be  1.25"  Medex to match the   subs    the baffle would be inset into the  wide wings the  same as the top/bottom module  panels so a grill  could be  straight up from  sub  bottom to    top of top section.
IIRC,  the baffle is  just under  29",  I'll open the   file up this eve  to be sure  (watching  the  games right now)

jay

Edit:  yes Ed, they are  713 mm   ( just  over  28 " ) right now.  there  may need to be an adjustment   still depending on how we implemnet the wings.
« Last Edit: 2 May 2018, 05:30 am by Captainhemo »

SoCalWJS

« Reply #354 on: 2 May 2018, 02:38 pm »
...and all y'all thought you had it bad trying to veneer one little tweeter waveguide...  :lol: :green:

Glad to see progress made!  Also, interesting to consider that this would give Danny an opportunity to maybe tweak the design with an asymmetrical wing pattern.  If the baffle width lines up with the "standard" width of the H-frame servo woofers, this build could end up about as easy to put together for folks as a Super-V, with the preformed upper baffle and all.  :thumb:
I can't imagine that task. I'd guess some form of Automotive-quality paint or spray on coating would be the norm on something this complex.

I have no clue on veneer on something this complicated. Is it possible to use a flat black spray on the waveguides, then veneer completely around them? I imagine they would be problematic at the edges right next to the waveguides.

Danny Richie

« Reply #355 on: 2 May 2018, 06:42 pm »
Or just paint the baffle black and put a grill over the drivers.

gab

« Reply #356 on: 2 May 2018, 06:49 pm »
Danny - will you be planning a kit with just the baffles, drivers, and crossover components WITHOUT the bass drivers and servo amps?

gab

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #357 on: 2 May 2018, 07:20 pm »
Well, I just measured my top panel of my Super Vs which are longer than the stock panel and they are 25" x13". Do you think there is any way I could get all the drivers in that space? I know I could figure out a way to cover the current driver hole and make the face solid so I could start over but not sure everything will fit?

Greg

Captainhemo

« Reply #358 on: 2 May 2018, 08:51 pm »
Well, I just measured my top panel of my Super Vs which are longer than the stock panel and they are 25" x13". Do you think there is any way I could get all the drivers in that space? I know I could figure out a way to cover the current driver hole and make the face solid so I could start over but not sure everything will fit?

Greg

Hey greg
there is enough room  on these that if you  were to cut a  slice off below the  bottom Neo 10  and the  "crown off the top, you  could get to  25"|
I don't  know how your SV baffles are fastened in place but you'd have to get them out of there.
the other thing is,  danny   has not  done  final measurements onthese,  stome changes  may still occur.

jay

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #359 on: 3 May 2018, 12:34 am »
I can't imagine that task. I'd guess some form of Automotive-quality paint or spray on coating would be the norm on something this complex.

I have no clue on veneer on something this complicated. Is it possible to use a flat black spray on the waveguides, then veneer completely around them? I imagine they would be problematic at the edges right next to the waveguides.

I kid, I kid! :lol:  Seriously, though, although duratex and grills would make a perfectly fine and simple solution, I would put money down that someone among the very talented woodworkers that hang around here will figure it out and make it happen.  For craftspeople well advanced into their art, this is the sort of challenge that makes the process fun and exciting, if for no other reason than to see if it can be done.

Putting the cart back behind the horse, I just think it is really cool that this project is moving along and more people will hopefully soon be able to enjoy these speakers.  This is a speaker design that was here and gone far too soon!