• Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: My NX Otica Holiday Build
« Reply #40 on: 17 Feb 2023, 08:32 pm »
  Kick ass . Enjoy

charles

350Industrial

Re: My NX Otica Holiday Build
« Reply #41 on: 22 Mar 2023, 01:31 pm »
Quick update- I caved and purchased four ATS 'real' diffusers.  They normally come four feet tall but I had them build them six feet tall for me (at only $10 more per diffuser which I thought was a killer deal, despite the high cost of the diffuser itself)- here is the end result.

In short, the sound really changed in my room:
* Yes, better sound stage layering
* Highs are significantly elevated, almost like someone turned up the EQ on the highs
* Music has much, much more 'atmospheric' quality to it- lots more air

I'm still listening and learning all the changes these made, and if I need to adjust my subs a bit.

Thanks for the advice on these.  :thumb:

borism

Re: My NX Otica Holiday Build- UPDATED with Diffusion Treatment
« Reply #42 on: 22 Mar 2023, 01:40 pm »
Looks great! Like a futuristic altar!

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 22 Mar 2023, 01:58 pm »
Nice!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #44 on: 22 Mar 2023, 02:26 pm »
Wow!  The 6’ height is awesome!  These would also work better for me as my current room won’t allow for stacked 4’ boxes. 

Have you considered them for 1st reflection points as well?  Also, what corner traps are you using?

350Industrial

« Reply #45 on: 22 Mar 2023, 04:32 pm »
My first reflection points on my side walls are pure 4" thick absorption.  They're 6-7' from my ears, so technically I could diffuse, but will stick with the absorption I have for now.

Corner traps are GIK's best performing corner bass traps- 18" square with the range limiter in them to reflect highs.

I'm still debating how to finish the new ATS diffusers- paint wall color or stain/seal.  Either will be a PITA, with staining more of a PITA but I'm leaning that way as it will be worth it.  Just need to decide soon and do it before the wood begins to darken.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 22 Mar 2023, 05:02 pm »
Room is looking nice!

Jaytor

« Reply #47 on: 22 Mar 2023, 05:41 pm »
Wow!  The 6’ height is awesome!  These would also work better for me as my current room won’t allow for stacked 4’ boxes. 

As 350Industrial noted, ATS will make custom length diffusors for a nominal upcharge. My ceilings are 7'9" so I had them make them just a bit short so I could stack them and go floor to ceiling.

I'm still debating how to finish the new ATS diffusers- paint wall color or stain/seal.  Either will be a PITA, with staining more of a PITA but I'm leaning that way as it will be worth it.  Just need to decide soon and do it before the wood begins to darken.

Looking good. I decided to wrap my diffusors with Guilford of Maine FR701 fabric. Way easier than painting or staining and they look great. I think the fabric tamed the high frequency reflections just a tiny amount which I (and my audiophile friends) found to be an improvement.

350Industrial

« Reply #48 on: 22 Mar 2023, 06:15 pm »
Looking good. I decided to wrap my diffusors with Guilford of Maine FR701 fabric. Way easier than painting or staining and they look great. I think the fabric tamed the high frequency reflections just a tiny amount which I (and my audiophile friends) found to be an improvement.

That's a good idea- I do think the highs are just a bit too hot now, but again, it's such a significant and sudden change that I'm going to live with it for a while to really decide if I like it this way.  Fabric would be a great way to tame it down a notch.... thanks for the idea.