OB Wedge Base for Dual 12" Drivers

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
OB Wedge Base for Dual 12" Drivers
« on: 8 Nov 2015, 08:48 pm »
I have been working on adapting the OB Wedge Base to work with two 12" drivers instead of three 8" drivers. Since I'm going to be using them with LGK Wedgies, I wanted to keep the width as close to the 8" model as possible so they would still visually go well together.

To do this I only increased the width of the front panel by 1/2". I increased the depth of the sides by 4". This ended up with base units that were 1/2" wider at the front, 2" wider at the back and 4" deeper than the 8" Wedge Bases. The height stayed the same. 

With these dimensions, everything fit, but just barely. The bottom of the driver magnets almost touch the NoRez. I'm not sure if more space is needed behind the magnets or not. I'm also unsure about adding NoRez to the top and bottom.

The cabinets have not been finished yet because I have not decided on which veneer to use. I'm planning on taking these to LASF this coming May and want to have something really stunning.

I'm thinking of using the same style plinth I have used on my N3TL's and the MTM Encores I built.

These need another coat of black gel stain then, since these are made out of MDF, I will seal them with epoxy for strength. I may remake the plinths later on in a different material and finish to match whatever veneer I use.

I have them wired up and playing. My initial impressions are very favorable. Everything Jay has said about the differences between dual 12's and triple 12's holds for the difference between triple 8's and dual 12's. While the 8's sound fantastic, the 12's have more weight. They do play deeper with more ease, 20Hz is more audible with PEQ off but turning PEQ on and boosting 20HZ brings it on par in my room.

Another difference between the 12's and the 8's is that, especially in a larger room, you can overdrive the 8's and clip the HX300 amps. This has been most noticeable when the SPL's go past 100dB at the listening position (6' to 9').  Not so with the 12's. I have had them hitting 106dB with the cannon shots on Telarc's 1812 Overture without flinching.

Another plus for the wedge design is that it is easy to scale to fit what you put on top. The LGK Wedgies are very narrow and these units have been built to work with that narrow foot print. However, if you wanted to put something larger on top, say the top MTM section of an NX-Otica, you could simply make the front wide enough to match.

Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the dual 12" Wedge bases. Not only do they play loud and with authority, they do soft and subtle very well also. One might think the 8's would have an advantage at lower listening levels but that has not turned out to be the case. It is hard to put into words, it's like the 12's just sound more effortless, more right than the 8's.

Mike

bdp24

Re: OB Wedge Base for Dual 12" Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:45 pm »
Mike, what is the height at the middle of the tweeter in this set-up?---Eric.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:54 pm »
Eric,

38 1/4" without the plinths. These plinths are 1 1/2" thick so 39 3/4" with the plinths. Floor spikes would add a little more, depending on the length of spike used.

Mike

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2015, 01:15 am »
Mike,

Thanks for posting these pics. Something like these bases are in my future (once I settle down again).

I was about to ask if the front baffle width could be increased, but you already took care of that.  :wink: I won't know for some time what width I'll want, so I won't even hazard a guess now.

There's an excellent chance I will be in Texas when LSAF rolls round, so I may just stroll into your room for a listen or three.

Have you ever seen Paulownia veneer? It can be stunning if cut the right way. Here's a pic of a Japanese stringed instrument that really caught my eye:

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2015, 01:24 am »
Glad to hear they are giving you what you are after Mike   :thumb:

Are the tops/bottoms  single layer .75"  or  are they doubled up ?    If you can fit in the no rez, I'd  put it in there, it  will not hurt and if they panels are single layer, may even help  somewhat.  Those drivers  can put a lot ofp preasure on the  cabinet
Are you going to finish them to match the Wedgies ?

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2015, 03:00 am »
Mike,

Thanks for posting these pics. Something like these bases are in my future (once I settle down again).

I was about to ask if the front baffle width could be increased, but you already took care of that.  :wink: I won't know for some time what width I'll want, so I won't even hazard a guess now.

There's an excellent chance I will be in Texas when LSAF rolls round, so I may just stroll into your room for a listen or three.

Have you ever seen Paulownia veneer? It can be stunning if cut the right way. Here's a pic of a Japanese stringed instrument that really caught my eye:

Michael,

Absolutely stop on in.

No I have not heard of that veneer but it is stunning. I'd almost be afraid to ask the price.  Though what I am thinking of is liable to cost me $650 - $800.

Glad to hear they are giving you what you are after Mike   :thumb:

Are the tops/bottoms  single layer .75"  or  are they doubled up ?    If you can fit in the no rez, I'd  put it in there, it  will not hurt and if they panels are single layer, may even help  somewhat.  Those drivers  can put a lot ofp preasure on the  cabinet
Are you going to finish them to match the Wedgies ?

-jay

Jay,

The top and bottom are single layer 0.75" MDF. The bottom will have an additional 1.50" of material bolted to it in the form of the plinth.

If adding NoRez to the top will be enough I'll do that. If the top needs to be thicker I gan glue another layer on. I was planning on cutting the edges out an gluing in hardwood strips that match the v ne'er I use so I can safely round over all three top edges but I can just as easily add a 0.50" - 0.75" thick piece of hardwood to the top instead if the extra strength is needed.

No, I don't plan on matching the Wedgies specifically. If what I choose for the bases matches then fine but if it doesn't match I'll either refinish this pair of wedgies with something that does match or I'll build another pair of Wedgie cabinets and finish them to match.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2016, 02:07 am »
Mike, have you felt the need of an additional pair of partial braces (open side only) to divide the opening into 4 sections?

Thanks,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2016, 02:54 am »
Ed,

No. I haven't noticed anything that would suggest additional bracing is necessary.

I've had a fair amount of bass pumping through these but I have them in a small room with the LP only about 6-8 feet away. So I am not sure how they would behave if they were asked to pump out 120dB of heavy bass in a large room.

Are you experiencing any flexing or resonance?

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2016, 03:08 am »
Ed,

No. I haven't noticed anything that would suggest additional bracing is necessary.

I've had a fair amount of bass pumping through these but I have them in a small room with the LP only about 6-8 feet away. So I am not sure how they would behave if they were asked to pump out 120dB of heavy bass in a large room.

Are you experiencing any flexing or resonance?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I am still building mine and wanted to ask since you have spent some time with them.  I have the mirrored pair built (finally) and will be working on the base and finishing over the next few weeks, whenever I can find a minute.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Best,
Ed