IDA-8 and vinyl front end

rebbi

IDA-8 and vinyl front end
« on: 28 Oct 2017, 12:45 pm »
Hi,

I am considering the IDA-8 to power my Spatial Audio Hologram M3 Turbo S speakers. They’re open baffle, 4 ohms, and and 94 dB sensitive. Room is not huge.

I know someone who is thrilled with this combo, but I have a question:

I currently have two sources. One is a CD player with both optical and coaxial outputs,  so, no problem hooking that up to the amplifier and using the internal DAC. (Currently using a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and USB-SPDIF  bridge box with the CD player and also to play hi resolution files out of my MacBook Pro.) And on the analog side, I have a turntable with an outboard phono preamp. What gives me pause is that the analog inputs on the IDA-8 convert the signal to digital, which just seems weird to me. How do those of you using analog with the IDA-8 feel about the sound? I read the Absolute Sound review and Julie Mullins was happy with how vinyl sounded, but I am eager for more input.

Also, for those of you who have had the chance to compare the internal DAC with various standalone units, how do you think the sound stacks up?

Thank you.

avta

Re: IDA-8 and vinyl front end
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2017, 02:29 pm »
I do not have a vinyl front end however in general the IDA8 is an excellent performer as far as overall sound is concerned. I have listened with my Ayre DSD dac and other pre and amp and cannot tell the difference. I have also compared it to a Devialet 120 and like the IDA8 better! a more lifelike presentation to my ears. Yes, I wasn't expecting that either.

Francation

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2017, 02:48 am »
I am considering the IDA-8 to power my Spatial Audio Hologram M3 Turbo S speakers.

Funny enough, I am considering the same system as well as the HD-AVA for the same speakers. I also will be using a turntable and was wondering about this myself. I currently have a miniDSP 2x4HD but likely going to be moving away from it as the Analog to Digital converter is sub par.

Could we get some info on the A/D stage in the IDA-8 and the HD-AVA? Are they the same? What are the specs/chipset?

And also in general I am wondering about the audio quality differences (if any) between the IDA-8 and the HD-AVA in regards to the amplification. Using the HD-AVA would be nearly ideal for my situation if the audio quality is audiophile level (not cheap-A/V receiver level).

seikosha

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2017, 08:47 pm »
Rebbi,

There is a set of analog inputs in that amp.  Those would be used for your vinyl front end.  The Nuprime will be a big change from your 300B amp.

rebbi

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2017, 10:09 pm »
Rebbi,

There is a set of analog inputs in that amp.  Those would be used for your vinyl front end.  The Nuprime will be a big change from your 300B amp.

Hey, nice to hear from you again! I’m sure that it would be a big change – for the better, in your opinion, or not?

seikosha

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2017, 10:15 pm »
Rebbi, it’s a very different sound.  I’ve got a STA-9 Nuprime that I’ll pop into the system from time to time.  It’s good if I want to rock out a little, but it just doesn’t have the magic that I get with my tube amps.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2017, 03:18 am »
Rebbi, it’s a very different sound.  I’ve got a STA-9 Nuprime that I’ll pop into the system from time to time.  It’s good if I want to rock out a little, but it just doesn’t have the magic that I get with my tube amps.

With what speakers?
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2017, 05:05 am by Wind Chaser »

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2017, 05:21 pm »
Hi Windchaser,

I've done the comparison with many different high efficiency single driver designs utilizing Mark Audio, Fostex, Betsy and Omega drivers both in Open Baffle and boxed designs.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2017, 05:49 pm »
Those are all SET friendly drivers with a smooth impedance. Rebbi's speakers are very efficient, but the impedance is quite the opposite of smooth. Under such conditions the Nuprime will waste even the finest SET.

rebbi

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2017, 07:47 pm »
Those are all SET friendly drivers with a smooth impedance. Rebbi's speakers are very efficient, but the impedance is quite the opposite of smooth. Under such conditions the Nuprime will waste even the finest SET.

I am coming to grasp that this is all correct. The Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S is quite efficient at 94 dB sensitivity, but with the impedance swinging over quite a range of values throughout its frequency range, it does not present a SET amplifier with a particularly easy load. I understand that a lot of folks adore single driver designs, and I had my own, brief fling with such, but the romance cooled pretty quickly. ;-) So now it looks like it's time for a new amplifier, since I don't think that my speakers are going away anytime soon – famous last words, I know, but I'm a happy camper in that regard. ;-)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2017, 09:03 pm »
I understand that a lot of folks adore single driver designs, and I had my own, brief fling with such, but the romance cooled pretty quickly. ;-) So now it looks like it's time for a new amplifier, since I don't think that my speakers are going away anytime soon – famous last words, I know, but I'm a happy camper in that regard. ;-)

I've owned a number of single driver speakers over the years too and as much as liked some of them, none of them even begin to approach the Spatial's in terms of what they can do. I spend five months considering all possible options before settling on the M3ts. Having lived with them now for half a year, I still maintain there just isn't anything that can compete with them for the money.

I really hope you get a chance to try an IDA-8, or an IDA-16 or even an IDA-6 before you make up your mind.

Francation

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2017, 05:10 am »
I am coming to grasp that this is all correct. The Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S is quite efficient at 94 dB sensitivity, but with the impedance swinging over quite a range of values throughout its frequency range, it does not present a SET amplifier with a particularly easy load. I understand that a lot of folks adore single driver designs, and I had my own, brief fling with such, but the romance cooled pretty quickly. ;-) So now it looks like it's time for a new amplifier, since I don't think that my speakers are going away anytime soon – famous last words, I know, but I'm a happy camper in that regard. ;-)

Did you get a chance to try the IDA-8 yet rebbi? I am also interested in the Schiit Vidar for these speakers.