DAC for squeezebox touch and NAD cd

Bigfishhk

DAC for squeezebox touch and NAD cd
« on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:28 pm »
A digital dinosaur, I'm fairly content listening to both my Squeezebox Touch and a NAD 545 bee cd player without external DAC's.

However I am wondering if anyone out there has heard any improvement over the Touch's SQ with addition of an external DAC under $250? (such as Schitt Modi uber 2).. Or is the SB Touch DAC / SQ not going to get much of a boost from a DAC at this price range?

If you have had success with the sub $250 DAC with SBT, pls let me know how it affected the presentation of the music and whether you preferred coaxial vs optical output from SBT to DAC.

(of secondary priority- The NAD CD (Wolfson WM8740 24bit/192KHz DAC). I use CD far less but it does have optical and coaxial outs I could hook it up to the DAC).

I do not have any DSD files so that is not a necessity for now and I have Rogue tube amps so not really looking for more tubes in the system.

Mainly coaxial or optical inputs needed on the DAC, but having a USB input would be a nice bonus.

many thanks, love the postings on 'Cheap and Cheerful'.
Tom

KR500

Re: DAC for squeezebox touch and NAD cd
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:33 pm »
Yes, I like the SBT, but the DAC is meh
I use a Schitt Bifrost , way better

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:10 pm »
  ART DIO Killer DAC for the money. Schiit Bitfrost another winner. Not a dealer of such.

charles

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:05 pm »
I have been using a Schiit Bifrost Uber for a couple of years now. Very musical DAC at a great price. I would get that one. Upgrade it later.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2015, 07:15 pm »
I have been using a Schiit Bifrost Uber for a couple of years now. Very musical DAC at a great price. I would get that one. Upgrade it later.

are we talking Bifrost or Multibit ($400, $600)  ?

thanks
T

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2015, 07:23 pm »
Bifrost. But two years ago (approx) I bought the Uber upgrade and installed it myself.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2015, 07:33 pm »
Bifrost. But two years ago (approx) I bought the Uber upgrade and installed it myself.

thanks for that info.. are you or did you ever use with SBT? and how did the bifrost affect the musical presentation of the SBT?

Bigfishhk

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2015, 07:34 pm »
Yes, I like the SBT, but the DAC is meh
I use a Schitt Bifrost , way better

assuming you still using it, how does the bifrost affect the musical presentation of the SBT? 
thanks
Tom

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2015, 07:53 pm »
thanks for that info.. are you or did you ever use with SBT? and how did the bifrost affect the musical presentation of the SBT?

I had a SB Classic. Gave it up because it was finicky. Purchased a Pure I-20 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pure+I-20. I use this with my Iphone as a digital transport for Spotify and Tidal.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2015, 08:54 pm »
I use an SB Touch at the moment as a streamer.

I am using a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 with it.  Installing EDO covers all the hi rez I need (ie up to 24/192 but no DSD etc).

The Grant piece would have to be sourced used to hit your budget.  I am not giving mine up anytime soon!

Bigfishhk

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2015, 09:44 pm »
I use an SB Touch at the moment as a streamer.

I am using a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 with it.  Installing EDO covers all the hi rez I need (ie up to 24/192 but no DSD etc).

The Grant piece would have to be sourced used to hit your budget.  I am not giving mine up anytime soon!

hi
are your amps solid state or tubed?
tom

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2015, 09:52 pm »
DIY? Opens a lot of doors...

Chinese DAC's based on 1543 chips, powered by a battery, are incredibly pleasing to listen to for a budget setup that isn't about refinement. I actually think seeking refinement on extreme budgets is silly because you get a rather sterile and harsh sound.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:03 pm »
My amp is a solid state piece.  Class D digital.  Crown XLS 1500.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:57 pm »
My amp is a solid state piece.  Class D digital.  Crown XLS 1500.

your choice of GF Tube Dac makes alot of sense in this context- bet it sounds great.  Hmm still haven't heard from anyone if there's a $250 DAc out there that can really upgrade the SBT sound.. Bit frost may do it but it is $400.. so maybe I'm asking too much.
tx

Sparky14

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:45 am »
6 hours left on this   https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smsl-m8

Bigfishhk

« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:53 am »
6 hours left on this   https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smsl-m8

VERY INTERESTING. have you heard this DAC?
tx

Sparky14

« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:55 am »
VERY INTERESTING. have you heard this DAC?
tx

I have not, but I watched the first drop at Massdrop, and the very positive reviews - so I am buying one this time. You don't see the Sabre DACs at this price often.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:59 pm »
I have not, but I watched the first drop at Massdrop, and the very positive reviews - so I am buying one this time. You don't see the Sabre DACs at this price often.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't get one partly because it has a power off feature that would frustrate me personally. But I,d be really interested to hear how it turns out. Best, tom.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2016, 06:57 pm »

Just spent some time with Schitt Bifrost multibit and the Squeezebox T. After a week's burn in, I did alot of A/B comparison with the Schitt DAc and without it. Very similar results. In many cases I could not distinguish between the two.. which says alot for the actual SQ of the SBT. It surprised me as the Bitfrost is clearly a good piece of kit and would do wonders for a computer..

jeffjazz

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2016, 07:17 pm »
I'm surprised you didn't hear much difference between the Squeezebox and Bitfrost Dac. The Touch does have a pleasant sound to it, but it doesn't have the drive and clarity of the Bitfrost in my system. I am running the Uber upgrade.  I will upgrade it to Multibit in the near future.  I the past I have run the Squeezebox through a DIY Chinese Dac with a transformer output which sounded very good.  I also used a Art DI/O dac before that fully modded.   The Schiit Dac sounds better than all of those and represents major bang for buck.  I am running this stuff though a Supratek preamp, Pass labs amp and Eminent Technology speakers and it sounds wonderful.  If you have speakers good enough to resolve the differences between the Touch and and a outboard DAC like the Schiit Bitfrost - go for the outboard DAC.  I haven't played with more expensive Dacs, but I don't feel the need to.
 :D