Testing the single driver waters......

Ultralight

Re: Testing the single driver waters......
« Reply #20 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:31 am »
What you mean by dynamic range?  Absolutely high spl? In that case, you are right.

However if you mean the dynamic range within a piece at reasonable listening levels of say 80 db average, the Alnico XRS I had the privilege of listening to for a few days seem to have the largest dynamic range of all speakers I've tried.  I took a sound meter to see how large the dynamic swings were and it easily bested my KEF LS50 for example at that time.  And it sounded like it - the decibel between soft and loud passages were distinctly larger and thus more dynamic.  So I never thought of full rangers as being limited in dynamic range.

If I could afford it, I'd probably love to try out the Alnico bipoles.... am currently listening to the RS5 bipoles.   

UL

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 1 Dec 2015, 02:01 am »
i can refer only to the ones I've heard. Paolo and Zu, along with some DIYs that used I-know-not-what drivers. Different speakers have different shortcomings, and different people hear in different ways, so we are well into YMMV territory I think. As far as the dynamics thing goes, It's just the way the systems I have heard sound to me. I dunno. One of these systems cost $30K/pr and was picked out by Stereophile as 'Best of Show' candidate at CAF 2014. I didn't like them at all.again, YMMV  :dunno:

jorgen

« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2015, 09:31 am »
 havent heard to many of the full range options out there, and went all in for Omega speakers. I made my choice after reading in forums and talking to Louis, but based my choice on trust rather than knowledge. The only other brand i have heard is Swissonor who makes FR speakers as well, and while they sounded good, they didnt look good, a factor that means something to me. The Swissonor also sounded good, but cant say better than Omega, of course a small listening test in an audio show isnt the best of ways to compare. They cost way more,  at least double the money. Swissonor also have a shorter frequency range. This makes me believe that IF you should go in the direction of a FR setup, Omega should be on your shortlist
I know a system like this has flaws, as you do have with other systems, and each and everyone must find their own path to audio-happiness, but: lots of friends who has been listening to my system have been very impressed, even though some of them have very good but more traditional systems at home. I was "accused" of just playing music that suited the setup good, (music like Beth Gibbons, single guitar or smooth jazz), (but i played som Kyuss and classical music and fast electronica to show that Omega could handle music like that, and also very well). A couple of visitors also thought i played with a sub, which turned out to be my rack.

markie

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2015, 06:54 pm »
For others like myself testing the single driver waters, I have a few questions.  I'm thinking specifically of the Omega 3i's in this case.

How would they do in a home theatre application, specifically as front left and right speakers? (For aesthetic and practical reasons I would be going phantom centre. Also, 2 small subs are planned.) Our living room is small (9' by 12') and partly open to another room of the same size.  Are the Omega 3i's articulate and full at low volume, relative to other speakers?  That would be my number one priority.

Also, I've heard that the Omega speakers are very revealing to what is upstream. Would a Marantz 5.2 slimline receiver ruin the sound of the 3i, or would there still be magic? 

I know there is magic to single driver speakers, as I've heard enough of them (not Omegas) at audio shows here in Toronto to know there is something special about  them. There is a purity, a tonality and a welcome non "hifi" sound to them, if I can make that kind of generalization.

thanks,
Mark

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2015, 12:10 am »
Hi Mark,

Being all Omegas image so well, you would not need a center channel.  The Super 3i would also sound fine on your Marantz, as the RS5 driver in it is much more amp friendly than it's predecessor.

roscoe65

« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2015, 12:27 am »
Hi Mark,

Being all Omegas image so well, you would not need a center channel.  The Super 3i would also sound fine on your Marantz, as the RS5 driver in it is much more amp friendly than it's predecessor.

I would offer a differing opinion.  Modern soundtracks have a lot of dedicated center channel information.  I find that without a center channel the sound effects can bury the dialogue.

markie

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2015, 12:51 am »
Thanks Rob and Roscoe

Roscoe yes I've heard both sides of the the centre channel issue.  Since my L and R by necessity would have to be relatively close together it is probably best to go without a centre channel in my particular case.   That and the aesthetic issuse, and the fact the a lot of what we watch just has a stereo signal, makes me 'fine to go phantom'.

Rob, I'm glad to hear that the Super 3i's image well and would create a good phantom centre.

Are the Super 3i's articulate and textured at low volume, relative to other speakers you've heard?  I know many speakers go flat and lose detail at low volume.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2015, 01:13 am »
All the 3 series excel at low volumes.  However, some amplifiers don't and I'm totally unfamiliar with your amp.