Biasing

derekcooper

Biasing
« on: 5 Feb 2016, 09:50 pm »
Hey,

One of the 5 amps in my 9B SST 2 is running really hot - Mike thinks it's the bias needing adjustment.

Has anyone done the biasing themselves?

http://bryston.com/PDF/Other/SST_BIASING_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

All seems really straight-forward - just the "...should NEVER be attempted by end users," warning is a bit, well, disconcerting.

drummermitchell

Re: Biasing
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2016, 11:19 pm »
I remember with my 28's they go so hot I couldn't touch them after the hour or so warm up.
It was maybe 3-5 seconds they were so hot I had to take my hand off them.
Took them to my dealer and they THOUGHT should be biased in 2-3 hrs (NOT).I'd take them home 3 hr drive hook em up,Same thing
Went on for a week or so.
It got so crazy that Mr.Russell was going to fly up here(ALBERTA) to see WTF was happening :thumb:that would be Bryston Service.
This was a few yrs back but they (My Dealer)had actually biased over a 2-3 day period adjusting the bias with the(cover on and off) to check temps.
After that it's been how many yrs ..were still good.
If you do it yourself.. test ..adjust...test ...adjust again and again with the cover off and on to make sure the temp is STABLE.
Were ...........Good :D.

servingko

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2016, 06:36 am »
I adjusted a 4BSST2 a few years back with Mike Pickett's instructions and achieved excellent results.  Go slow, take your time, and use very small changes with 30-60 minutes between to stabilize the temps.  An analog meter is also more helpful than a digital one as well as an accurate infrared thermometer.

derekcooper

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:22 pm »
Gave it a whirl, everything was going great, but... and there's always a but... got a tiny arc and the fuses blew.

:duh:

Wow, that was not expected. Anyhow, unit has been removed from the 9B and packed for shipping so Mike can figure out what's going on at Bryston. Good luck with it boys!