Introducing Hollis Audio Labs

HAL

Re: Introducing Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2016, 07:25 pm »
The new Pocket CLIO system arrived.  Set it up on the Netbook with Windows 10 and the system after warmup calibrated correctly.

The system comes with a MIC02 calibrated Omni, RCA to RCA cable for the mic and a RCA to clip lead cable for terminal measurements.  The FFT and Log Sweep size max are 64K points and work well.   Here is a picture of the setup to go to the LS-9's for crossover measurements.

Here is the setup without the I/O cables.  It is really small and comes with a case for portability.

HAL

« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2016, 10:59 pm »
First set of measurements from the Pocket CLIO. 

These are the midrange and tweeter digital crossover frequency response overlay plots with CLIO through the dspMusik running the NEO3PDR/NEO10 crossover for the open baffle two driver planar speaker.  The channel driving the Rythmik HX800's for the servo bass drivers is just a flat response channel with the amp doing the crossover.  I am running balanced interconnects to all the amp channels.

HAL

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:17 pm »
Someone mentioned chewing gum, but this might work for a temporary solution to hold the FPS planars until the square drive #4 wood screws arrive.

Will see what happens.

HAL

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2016, 08:56 pm »
Hey it works! 

Not very stable so got Wedge Anchors with nuts to install for adjustable feet.

HAL

« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:35 am »
Just went to build up the second baffle and discovered that the FPS drivers sent are a different model number than the last batch. 

Sent PE an email to see what to do.  The model in the website picture is different than what they list, but is what they sent this time.

Will be getting the adjustable feet on the one baffle and start measurements.  Need to drill more holes in the panels for the adjusters to fit in and glue the bolts to the wood.

It's always something.

jseipp

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:08 am »
I really love seeing your "lab" at work -- your projects are ever inspiring. :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:26 am »
Glad the projects inspire you to make audio gear.    :D

HAL

« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2016, 11:40 am »
Today, will finish up converting the modified ChipAmp modules to pair up channels for the FPS drivers.  The Euro strips arrived to change the input wiring to parallel channels.  Each FPS planar gets it's own balanced input ChipAmp module for drive.

Next drill holes for the leveling feet in the 1"x4" bases and glue the nuts in place. Three per side.

Have the speaker cables prepped and then get Fast On connectors attached to connect to the drivers.  Then on to CLIO measurements.

THROWBACK

« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:27 pm »
Kids, dogs, cats, even an overweight parakeet could topple those beauties. Though the prospect might be aesthetically unappealing, you may have to design some outriggers. If they do fall, they naturally will fall on the rest of your equipment aiming specifically at your most expensive and impossible-to-replace components. (shudder). Ask me how I know.

HAL

« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:00 pm »
I have an idea for outriggers to go from the top back to the ground to provide stability with the three adjustable feet. 

Need copper pipe and a pipe bender to try it.

HAL

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2016, 06:48 pm »
Just ordered a PI Audio BlunderBUSS to power the Pulsing Quasar speakers.  This is going to be MASSIVE! 

24 AC outlets to power the ChipAmp modules.

HAL

« Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm »
Ok, the project is on hold.

The latest batch of FPS drivers from PE are the wrong model.  They checked stock and have a mixed stock problem.

They have 7 of the FPS0201M7R1 that is the model I want and I asked if I can trade them for 7 of the FPS0201M7S1's I have to keep the project going.  Waiting on a response.  I have 12 incorrect and 8 correct FPS planars, so that is not good.

Part of the problem is they have different fast on connectors sizes.  Will be getting the correct fast on connectors for the cables tomorrow and do not want to redo speaker cables.  Then at least I can make measurements on the 8 correct FPS drivers I have.

Will see what happens.

HAL

« Reply #32 on: 12 Apr 2016, 11:57 am »
To make progress on the measurements with the drivers I have, here are the 6 cables to connect the FPS drivers to the moded ChipAmp outputs for the one channel.  Next get the Fast On connectors and crimp them on for the drivers.

HAL

« Reply #33 on: 12 Apr 2016, 06:28 pm »
The FPS line array with 6 drivers wired and ready for amp module connection. 

Only have enough of the correct FPS drivers for 1 speaker, so this will be mono until PE can get stock of the correct driver.

HAL

« Reply #34 on: 12 Apr 2016, 06:37 pm »
Just talked to PE and they are shipping the 7 correct FPS drivers and should be shipping the last 3 in a few weeks. 

Will see how the measurements go for the Leaning tower of Pizza.  At least one more oak strip made it stable.

HAL

« Reply #35 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm »
The Blue Stick held overnight with the FPS drivers and speaker cable attached.  Still no idea when the #4 screws will arrive.

Time today to connect everything for the one channel up and see what happens. 

HAL

« Reply #36 on: 13 Apr 2016, 04:30 pm »
Magically, the #4 woodscrews just arrived with no tracking data.

Second baffle completed and ready for when the FPS drivers arrive from PE, also no tracking info.

Next up measuring speaker #1.

HAL

« Reply #37 on: 14 Apr 2016, 12:59 am »
Leveling feet installed, FPS drivers installed with the new #4 square drive wood screws and next, wire the drivers back up and connect to the amp modules for measurements. 

HAL

« Reply #38 on: 14 Apr 2016, 02:06 am »
First speaker is complete and ready for response measurements.  Will hookup Pocket CLIO tomorrow to the dspMusik and start the process.

HAL

« Reply #39 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:02 pm »
Measurement day has begun. Pocket CLIO is setup and all the system is running. Takes 25 minutes to bring the setup to temperature as Audiomatica suggests. Test 1KHz tone coming out of all the drivers, so check is complete.

Now time to see what is happening.