Tempesta for Texas
« on: 12 Sep 2013, 02:56 pm »
Headed to the Houston area...  :thumb:

Greg D

Re: Tempesta for Texas
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:23 pm »
Headed to the Houston area...  :thumb:

+1

Tracking has it in Texas as of this morning and scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Or do you have more than one headed this way?

I haven't finished my subwoofers that were to double as speaker stands.  I grabbed a pair of 24" bar stools to use for now but I'm not sure those will be secure enough.  My listening room isn't exactly traffic-free.  I may break out some MDF and the Kreg pockethole jig.

Do you have any suggestions for securing them to stands? 

Finally, do the Tempestas benefit at all from having lots of headroom?  I've got a 150 watt/ch amp but I see an add for its 300 watt/ch big brother lightly used for a good price.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:20 pm »
+1

Tracking has it in Texas as of this morning and scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Or do you have more than one headed this way?

I haven't finished my subwoofers that were to double as speaker stands.  I grabbed a pair of 24" bar stools to use for now but I'm not sure those will be secure enough.  My listening room isn't exactly traffic-free.  I may break out some MDF and the Kreg pockethole jig.

Do you have any suggestions for securing them to stands? 

Finally, do the Tempestas benefit at all from having lots of headroom?  I've got a 150 watt/ch amp but I see an add for its 300 watt/ch big brother lightly used for a good price.

Yes that's your pair.  :)
The most important thing is for the stand to be stable. It's possible to put threaded inserts into the bottom and bolt to the stand but I've never had to do that.

150 watts is plenty of power.

Beatlebum

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:26 pm »
Rick,

Any more pics? What's the finish on this pair?

B

Greg D

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:33 pm »
150 watts is plenty of power.

Not a pair of 1000 watt monoblocks on dedicated 20 amp circuits?

I must be spending too much time on that other board sponsored by an amplifier company...

Rick,

Any more pics? What's the finish on this pair?

B

Its the standard cherry finish. 

jonbee

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:34 pm »
Congratulations! They are lovely. Give 'em time to run in and be amazed.
I used amps from 100 to 1000 WPC with mine, and they all worked very well. The Temps play louder than Rick's conservative sensitivity ratings would suggest.  I'm a believer in high current delivery, not just WPC. I look for amps rated safe for 2 ohm loads as a quick way to identify high current amps.
That said, these speakers are very neutral and very high resolution, so the better the quality and well matched character of the ancillaries the better the sound, with no practical limit I ever found.
With these speakers it is very easy to decide whether component A or B sounds best, all the way through the chain.
Have fun!

vortrex

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:36 pm »
I use 22w with my Tempesta and they sound great.

maxboy00

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:40 pm »
Congrats on your Tempesta a very well designed and sounding speaker, as already mentioned the higher quality the amp is  the more resolving the speakers are. . .

Greg D

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm »
"Out For Delivery" ...

drduongdds

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2013, 02:28 pm »
Would love to see how these compare to the 2-ways I've heard.

Greg D

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2013, 07:28 pm »
Delivered:

Fired them up to see if they work:

The lighting is poor and so are the pictures, but you should get the idea.

The finish is the standard cherry veneer and has a satin finish.  Very conventional.  If you want your speakers to be the visual focal point these probably aren't your best choice.  Still, they do look very nice.  I really like the curved sides over flat ones.  I'm sure the visually-oriented members of my family will consider them a big step up.

I _don't_ have a pet-free environment.  In fact my two dogs were wrestling on the floor just last night right where the coffee table is now and were bumping into the black speakers.  So I'm going to make some stout stands for these.  It so happens I was out picking up materials for those when the speakers were delivered.  For now I think they will be safe enough here.  Horrible setup, I know, but at least the speaker cables will reach....

Setup?  Schmetup!  My these puppies sound good.   :thumb:

I'm no audiophile and won't pretend that I know what I'm doing or what I'm talking about.  I've been through Norah Jones and now have on the recent Audiogon "Wake up your ears sampler".  I just want to stop and listen, and at the moment I'm on the other side of the house.

loving_it

« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm »
The tempesta's are worth every penny , Enjoy

Music Direct has a Peachtree 220 on sale for 999.00 which sounds very good with the temps , you can even get the amp in the same finish as your speakers  :D

Greg D

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2013, 03:41 pm »
I now have a much more reasonable arrangement.  The old speakers and coffee table are gone, the Tempestas are up on some temporary stands, and the furniture along the sides was moved farther away.  On the downside I've added a 2' high fence around the area with the speakers to keep them safe from the dogs.

It isn't practical to do A/B testing between the Tempestas and my old speakers.  But I do remember on Day 1 even with a poor arrangement the clarity of the Tempestas was better than my old Klipsch Heresey 2s.  The bass was much stronger also.  I really don't think the Hereseys, particularly in their current state, provide a meaningful comparison to the Tempestas.

The Tempestas are currently about 8ft apart, about 24" out from the wall, pointed straight ahead.  The listening position is about 9 or 10 feet from the tweeters, about 2 ft out from the back wall.  There was an improvement when I moved them to this arrangement from the previous arrangement of 6 ft spacing and 12" out.  The sound was good before, but now even better.  So optimizing the arrangement might yield even further improvement, as might adding room treatments.

Last night I was listening to Nora Jones and Diana Krall.  The Tempestas seem perfect for this type of music.  Each voice and instrument sounded clear and beautiful.  In some of the Nora Jones tracks the notes from the piano seemed to dance around the sound stage.  A number of the tracks fade out slowly; I was surprised to hear clearly the very last notes that were very faint compared to the background sound level in my listening room.

These are very enjoyable speakers.