Ottavo

vanderstephen

Re: Ottavo
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:40 am »
Hi Navin,
I am in Cary, NC, USA, but my wife's aunt and uncle live in Mumbai.

AvFan

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2013, 03:10 pm »
Rick:

Could this design use the RAAL 70-20XR vs the 70-10D?  Not that I know the difference between those tweeters but I have the 20XR in a set of MTMs you designed for me that could be repurposed. I'm giving some serious thoughts to changing from my monitor/sub setup to a full range floorstander.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:03 pm »
The Tempesta Extreme was a 3 way floor stander.  :D

BTW I thought the owner is Indian (in fact from Mumbai - where I live) and I think the driver models have already been mentioned before you might want to edit those posts to protect your IP. Don't worry I ain't telling. Is it Ottavo or OCTavo?

This is kind of an extension of the Tempesta Extreme with deeper bass and greater output capability. Ottavo is the name but it does cover the octaves pretty well! This one uses a different woofer though and I think is going to be the best dual 8" 3-way on the market.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:12 pm »
Rick:

Could this design use the RAAL 70-20XR vs the 70-10D?  Not that I know the difference between those tweeters but I have the 20XR in a set of MTMs you designed for me that could be repurposed. I'm giving some serious thoughts to changing from my monitor/sub setup to a full range floorstander.

Yes, the 70-20XR could easily be substituted with some changes to the crossover. Let me know if you want to pursue this and I can give you a quote.

AvFan

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:31 pm »
Rick:

This may be a little too much detail at this point but I was looking at your website and I like the clean looks of of the MA-1 and Tre Supremo without rounded edges on the front baffle.  Could a square front baffle work on the Ottavo/20XR without any sacrifices in sound quality?  Thanks!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:38 pm »
Rick:

This may be a little too much detail at this point but I was looking at your website and I like the clean looks of of the MA-1 and Tre Supremo without rounded edges on the front baffle.  Could a square front baffle work on the Ottavo/20XR without any sacrifices in sound quality?  Thanks!

No problem with making that change. The diffraction from a baffle is very dependent on the angle of measurement so curved edges are more for looks than anything else.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:44 pm »
Hi Navin,
I am in Cary, NC, USA, but my wife's aunt and uncle live in Mumbai.

You might have to change your ID now that you replaced the Vanders...lol

Your room really did justice to the sound. I'm looking forward to the next set going to a Boston area customer.  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2013, 06:38 pm »
Your room really did justice to the sound. I'm looking forward to the next set going to a Boston area customer.  :thumb:
Let's see some pics.   :)

navin

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2013, 01:21 pm »
This is kind of an extension of the Tempesta Extreme with deeper bass and greater output capability. Ottavo is the name but it does cover the octaves pretty well! This one uses a different woofer though and I think is going to be the best dual 8" 3-way on the market.

The Tempesta woofer is a bit smaller so extention and SPL ability for a dual 8 like the Ottavo should be more. I would compare it more with the RC4 (without the active subwoofer). - there too the SEAS-Excel woofer is not known for extention or SPL capability but is a wonderful driver fro a 3 way.

Oct = 8 which I i figured would fit a dual 8" design.

Would love tosee more pics though.

Next up a dual 8" with the C90-724 mid and RAAL.  :green:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2013, 02:26 pm »
The Tempesta woofer is a bit smaller so extention and SPL ability for a dual 8 like the Ottavo should be more. I would compare it more with the RC4 (without the active subwoofer). - there too the SEAS-Excel woofer is not known for extention or SPL capability but is a wonderful driver fro a 3 way.

Oct = 8 which I i figured would fit a dual 8" design.

Would love tosee more pics though.

Next up a dual 8" with the C90-724 mid and RAAL.  :green:

I've been patiently waiting to see a design using the C90-724. Go get 'em!  :D

navin

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jun 2013, 07:26 am »

I was joking, dreaming about the next dual 8" Rick would come up with.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #31 on: 17 Jun 2013, 03:41 pm »

Funny you should mention that - I recently had a request to do a custom design with that driver.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jun 2013, 03:46 pm »
Awesome!  Accuton advertises the lowest distortion of any driver I have ever seen. 

Rick,

Would you letting us know if/when the design starts?

navin

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2013, 05:07 am »
Awesome!  Accuton advertises the lowest distortion of any driver I have ever seen. 

The C90-724 is good to about 2.5k which would mean the bigger RAAL tweeter (140) or another tweeter. The C50 can operate much higher and canbe used with the smaller (70-10/70-20) RAAL.

On the other hand the C90 allows one to use a bigger "badder" woofer.

aevans

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:26 am »
Looks like a true sequel to the Galena's that were so popular back when Fountek was the tweeter of choice. glad you finally found a replacement for the NS10, which is still my favorite sounding bass driver

These also remind me of the Maui Wowie's that really were the most striking pair of speakers I think you have ever done, first piano black finish if I recall... looks like the gallery lost your pictures of them. If you get a chance can you throw a few pictures of them up there? Just so I can see if they are as cool as I remember.

navin

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jun 2013, 08:08 am »
Funny you should mention that - I recently had a request to do a custom design with that driver.

You know Rick, given that the C90-724 can be used to about 200Hz, the 8" not discussed earlier might be a good match (if you are going for a double 8" design).

vanderstephen

« Reply #36 on: 7 Jul 2013, 07:03 pm »
Hi. Here are a few pics of my speakers complete and in their new room.

In their finalized position. Ignore that the television looks so small- just the nature of using the wide angle lens.

Full view of the right speaker.

Close up of the upper section of one speaker.

studiotech

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jul 2013, 04:21 am »
Those look fantastic!  Now, let's talk about some panels at the first reflection points along the side walls...I want you to get the best clarity out of those beautiful speakers you've got there!

Greg

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #38 on: 8 Jul 2013, 03:15 pm »
Great pics! I'll soon be adding them plus measurement graphs and specifications to my site.

Bazinga

« Reply #39 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:09 am »
Awesome Job  :thumb: