Turntable wall shelf

belyin

Turntable wall shelf
« on: 11 Mar 2014, 06:48 am »
I have a Technics SP10MKII mounted in a birch plywood plinth on a mdf shelf attached to wall brackets. The turntable is sitting on four blue racquetballs, which eliminated the acoustic feedback I was getting. I'm planning to try IsoBalls or another Herbie's product to see (hear) if the offer any advantage over the racquetballs. I'm planning to upgrade the wall shelf as well, but I don't know if I should use a rigid but light shelf (e.g., Ikea Lack table top,) a mass loaded shelf (i.e., slate since I have an appropriate sized piece,) or maybe a maple platform? Should I use some isolation material to decouple the shelf from the wall brackets or attach them firmly?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Turntable wall shelf
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2014, 01:19 pm »
I recommend upgrading to four Tenderfoot isolation feet; they'll take care of acoustic feedback plus provide much better sonic linearity and superior higher-frequency microvibration control to eliminate glare and stuff in the music. Slate is worth an audition since you already have it, though you probably couldn't do any better than Baltic birch plywood for the shelf. Regardless of shelf material, decoupling the shelf from the shelf supports/bracket with Herbie's regular grungebuster Dots is always beneficial. To bring out the best potential of the turntable, you might also consider upgrading to a Way Excellent II Turntable Mat.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

belyin

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2014, 06:17 am »
Thanks for the reply. How do the Isoballs compare to the Tenderfeet for this purpose? I need to raise the plinth off its support since the tonearm cable exists form the bottom so the added height would be welcome.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2014, 02:03 pm »
IsoBalls with stainless steel base will provide results generally equivalent to Tenderfoot isolation feet. Subtle comparative differences might vary somewhat from one system to another. For extra height, Big Tall Tenderfeet can be used, though IsoBalls provide even more height.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2014, 05:36 am »
I think putting a turntable on a wall-mounted shelf is asking for trouble, if it is a typical wall of Gyproc or plasterboard over studs. Walls vibrate in response to airborne sound more than floors; floors being of heavier construction. Many years ago, my brother put his turntable on a platform suspended from the ceiling by four lengths of surgical rubber tubing. worked like a charm; no fuss, no muss, and no heroics required to decouple the t'table from the shelf. You will constantly be answering questions from guests, though.
If you wanted to get exotic you could damp the platform with something appropriate, or actually use a constrained layer method in the building of the platform, using a technique like this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/252593-novel-open-baffle-construction-techniques-2.html#post3851703

alke1234

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:36 am »
I have a Technics SP10MKII mounted in a birch plywood plinth on a mdf shelf attached to wall brackets. The turntable is sitting on four blue racquetballs, which eliminated the acoustic feedback I was getting. I'm planning to try IsoBalls or another Herbie's product to see (hear) if the offer any advantage over the racquetballs. I'm planning to upgrade the wall shelf as well, but I don't know if I should use a rigid but light shelf (e.g., Ikea Lack table top,) a mass loaded shelf (i.e., slate since I have an appropriate sized piece,) or maybe a maple platform? Should I use some isolation material to decouple the shelf from the wall brackets or attach them firmly?
[/quote

Hello,

Are the brackets supplied by IKEA?
Would you mind posting a pic?
Between the wall and brackets I have seen cork used.