Oppo Mods: BDP 105 - YES! AS SOON AS I GET ONE. INTEREST IN 103 MODS???

talk2me

Already got some Bugle Boys, RCA JANs, and CBSs!

modwright

Oppo 105 Mod Update!
« Reply #41 on: 2 Dec 2012, 06:51 pm »
Progress Update!

I have a working prototype using four out of the eight DACs on the SABRE chip.  It sounds fantastic via XLR and RCA, USB in via J. River Media and on all disc formats.  The proto includes the new power supply design with tube rectifier and tube regulator tubes.

Next step is to incorporate the remaining four DACs in the tube circuit and in turn, allow for upgraded HP performance as well as standard playback performance.

Further upgrades to test in, include silver wire, Tantalum resistors and dialing in tube bias (operating point) of tube circuit for ideal synergy.

I am also going to examine the possibility of replacing the SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply) with a linear supply of our own design.  I already have a proto PCB built and assembled for the 103 PS and am working out the final details.

Just wanted everyone to know where we are at. 

IF INTERESTED IN MODS - PLEASE CONTACT US TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST!  IT IS GROWING LARGER EVERY DAY!

Thank you!

Dan W.

Big Red Machine

So all the standard functions still function after the mods?  You can still stream music and use this as a dac?

MellowVelo

Hi Dan,

Are you planning a solid state mod for the 105? I would definitely spring for one of those.

tomm

Tommy123

Dan will offer a SS mod. We just have to wait our turn.

modwright

Hi, first of all, the tube mods and SS mods will NOT disable ANY functions of the player.

I have decided that the headphone section will remain stock.  I may offer a headphone specific upgrade, but I am too concerned about creating TOO high of output levels and damaging headphones or ears!  I did NOT find improvement by using these extra DACs in parallel with others for our tube stage.

Silver wire installed and WOW it sounds good!  This is the 105 with tube mods that I am speaking of now!

My mod tech is going to work out the final mod board mounting and mechanical details over the weekend and the first unit will be complete next week.  The list of those interested or waiting to order the 105 tube mods is long and growing!

I am also working on the 103 SS mods.  I did NOT realize how much current the 5V supply draws, so I have had to order a bigger transformer for this and will be implementing updates to the SS mod design next week.  What I do for the 103 SS mod will translate largely to the 105.

The 105 tube mods will be rolled out next week and the SS mods for 103 and 105 will follow next week.

Thanks!

Dan

Tommy123

Thanks for the update Dan.

I'm interested in the 105 SS mod. Will the silver wire and Tantalum resistor be used in the SS mod too?

modwright

Hi guys, not sure about Tantalum resistors in SS mod, but wherever there is wiring, it will be silver.

There is a reason that I chose silver wire for the tube mods.  It is about tonal balance.  The SS mods will depend on tonal balance also and without tubes, will be different.

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

Hi Dan, to break in the unit do you just play it 100+ hours or so, or use something like the (Purist Audio Design) System Enhancer (burn-in disk) ?

modwright

You could use a burn-in CD, or just play music through it.  I just play music through my gear to break it in.  Just put it on repeat and let it play 24/7, as long as it is connected to a preamp or amp, to have a load.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

We are NOW taking orders for the 105 Tube Mods! Dec. 10, 2012.

Price: $2295

Tube mod includes:

Total redesign and replacement of single-ended and fully balanced output stage with our own tube analog stage (6SN7 driver tubes).
External PS (new design) with one rectifier (5AR4, GZ34, 5U4, 5V4 and equivalents) and two voltage regulator tubes (13EM7. 12EM7 and suitable subs.)
'Truth' umbilical of our own design.
Upgraded Cardas GRFA series RCA's for stereo outs.
Upgraded Furutech cryo-treated IEC.
Highest Quality resistors in key signal path applications.
All signal wire = 99.9999% pure, cryo-treated solid-core silver wire from Cardas metals.
Upgrades to internal stock power supplies (Linear power supply replacement for stock SMPS not included )
Damping mods for chassis and transport.
External supply available with optional 'Hole' to allow for use of taller, larger diameter tubes other than 5AR4/GZ34 (just ask).

Unit will function as DAC or player, USB or Coax digital input and fully balanced XLR or RCA single-ended analog stereo outputs via tube analog stage.  The Oppo 105 is a true Universal Player, playing all formats for audio and video, 2CH and multi-channel (tube mod is optimized for 2CH playback).

No video or other functions of player are disabled in any way.

We are taking orders NOW!  Kristin is scheduling mods now, in the order that they are received.

Customer must supply the player and may have it drop-shipped to our address from Oppo.com or other re-seller.

50% non-refundable deposit required to secure a firm start date.  Work will be completed in no more than two weeks from start date.  Remainder due, including shipping cost, upon completion of work.

The phone was ringing all day today and tomorrow Kristin will start taking orders.  She has a lot of people on the list to contact already, so if you are interested, please call or email us right away!

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2012, 07:59 pm by modwright »

talk2me

So, the NOS tubes I bought based on your 95 tube mods will not work?

modwright

Please re-read above.

The same drivers are used: 6SN7 and the same rectifier is used, 5AR4/GZ34.  You may also use 5U4G or 5V4G and there are two additional tubes used in the new supply for voltage regulation.  These are 15EM7 and suitable subs are 12EM7 and 13EM7.

The 6SN7 and 5AR4/GZ34 tubes from the 95 are the same.

Thank you,

Dan W.

rlmacklin

Dan,

Will it be possible to get the 2-channel 105 tube mods AND the 105 SS mods for all other multi-channels? Price?

May be interested in the not yet completed 105 headphone circuit modification also.

[The previous status of imminent/pending Oppo 105 release with possible asyncrhonous DAC input is what kept me from going forward with LS100 DAC option some months ago...]

talk2me

Please re-read above.

The same drivers are used: 6SN7 and the same rectifier is used, 5AR4/GZ34.  You may also use 5U4G or 5V4G and there are two additional tubes used in the new supply for voltage regulation.  These are 15EM7 and suitable subs are 12EM7 and 13EM7.

The 6SN7 and 5AR4/GZ34 tubes from the 95 are the same.

Thank you,

Dan W.

Thanks, sorry I read it at 4 a.m here. :duh:

modwright

No problem  :D!

Dan

mjalazard

Hey Dan,
I could still then use my Shuguang CV181-Z Treasure tubes on the BPD-105.
Mike

dminches

I will answer for Dan.  Yes.  That tube is really a 6SN7 replacement.  It isn't a true CV181.

talk2me

I will answer for Dan.  Yes.  That tube is really a 6SN7 replacement.  It isn't a true CV181.

Soon, we should start a tube rolling thread. :thumb: