VMPS RM 30M Series II Conversion Help.

mrcasey69

VMPS RM 30M Series II Conversion Help.
« on: 20 Mar 2013, 09:59 pm »
Thanks to the help of John Casler, I have acquired the parts needed to upgrade my VMPS RM30 M’s to Series II.  I have read every post I could find on the procedure.  I am posting here to see if any of you have done the procedure before and have some advice to lend before I get started.  Specifically, the step requiring the soldering of the 10uf cap in parallel with the other midrange caps is where I could use some advice.  It has been mentioned in some posts that instructions/pictures were include in the past along with the parts for this procedure.  Do any of you have a copy of these instructions that could be scanned (or posted) to aid me in this step?

Also, any specifics of the brand of cap to get?  I believe my speakers (purchased used 6 months ago) have had no crossover upgrade thus far.

Stimpy

Re: VMPS RM 30M Series II Conversion Help.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2013, 10:57 pm »
Check out this thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108166.0

The OP posted pictures of a damaged RM-30.  But, these pictures show you pretty much everything that you need to see.

01)  The bottom plate needs to be removed.

02)  Once upside down, the 2 small passive radiators, end up, need to be removed. 

03) Also, the 10" side woofer is unwired and removed, which allows you to install the square boards inside the cabinet, used to  plug the passive radiator openings.

04)  With the side woofer out, you can access the crossover (partially seen through the woofer hole, in the 1st picture).

05)  Picture 3 shows the crossover.  The largest bundle of capacitors (4 paralleled together), is the midrange bundle.  Add your 10uf cap to the bundle, and solder it in.  Just like the picture, but now you'll have 5 sets of leads soldered together on each side, plus the connecting wire on each side.  Simple.  When adding the extra cap, it'd be good to either hot melt glue it to the other caps, or at least, ty-wrap all the caps together, if possible.

06)  Rewire the 6.5 woofers in parallel.

07)  Install the new 10" passive radiator.

08)  Reinstall the bottom plate.

09)  Send me the now unused 10" woofers!    :thumb:

From Brian:

"RM30 M:

Remove the side firing 10" active woofer and detach the wiring.  The two front active 6" and the active 10" are in series/parallel.  Lay the speaker on its back and unscrew the active 6", laying them face down on the front baffle. The new configuration is a straight parallel wiring of the two front 6"  Discard the jumper wire and connect the neg (black or unmarked) wire from the crossover to the top 6" neg. terminal lug, then make a connection from there to the neg. terminal lug on the bottom woofer.  Similarly, connect the pos (red purple, or lettered strand) woofer wire from the crossover to the pos. (red dot) lug on the top woofer, and connect a wire from there to the pos. lug on the bottom woofer.

Locate the 10uF cap supplied with the upgrade kit and wire it in parallel with the midrange caps (large bundle w/red wire attached), and solder in place.  You will have to remove the fiberglass damping material inside the cabinet to access the crossover, located on the bottom terminal board. Reinstall this material when finished."

Good luck!

Stimpy

Thanks to the help of John Casler, I have acquired the parts needed to upgrade my VMPS RM30 M’s to Series II.  I have read every post I could find on the procedure.  I am posting here to see if any of you have done the procedure before and have some advice to lend before I get started.  Specifically, the step requiring the soldering of the 10uf cap in parallel with the other midrange caps is where I could use some advice.  It has been mentioned in some posts that instructions/pictures were include in the past along with the parts for this procedure.  Do any of you have a copy of these instructions that could be scanned (or posted) to aid me in this step?

Also, any specifics of the brand of cap to get?  I believe my speakers (purchased used 6 months ago) have had no crossover upgrade thus far.

mrcasey69

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:05 pm »
That's perfect.  Your advice and link to the pictures definitely gives me more confidence with the soldering procedure.  Thank You.

mrcasey69

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm »
I am also instaling a set of 6.5" megawoofers for the RM 30's.  It looks like I will have 4 X 6.5" active (older style) woofers, 4 X 6.5" passive woofers and 2 X 10" active woofers left over.  If anybody is interested in them just let me know.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:22 pm »
so do you have a set of 6.5 mega woofers for sale or just the old style woofers?

mrcasey69

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:30 pm »
I am replacing my older woofers with megawoofers.  I adjusted my wording on the previous post.

Stimpy

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm »
I'd be interested in the 2 10" woofers.  Or, 2nd choice, 2 of the 6.5's.

Also, glad that the pictures helped!  And keep us updated on your progress,
and on how you like the sound quality, post conversion.

mrcasey69

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm »
I'd be interested in the 2 10" woofers.  Or, 2nd choice, 2 of the 6.5's.

Also, glad that the pictures helped!  And keep us updated on your progress,
and on how you like the sound quality, post conversion.

I will post my impressions after I have finished the conversion..  Please be patient as I am away from home for 3 more weeks.  Realistically we are looking at 4 to 6 weeks from now before I get a chance to do this.

I will contact you first regarding the old drivers.  Thanks again for the help.

Stimpy

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:01 am »
Awesome!  I really appreciate that.  Just PM me when ready.  And no rush.  The 10's are for a DIY VMPS clone project
that I have in mind.  Consider it a RM-3 (or maybe a Super 626 - still deciding), and it might give you an idea of what I'm
planning...

I will contact you first regarding the old drivers.  Thanks again for the help.

mrcasey69

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:26 am »
Awesome!  I really appreciate that.  Just PM me when ready.  And no rush.  The 10's are for a DIY VMPS clone project
that I have in mind.  Consider it a RM-3 (or maybe a Super 626 - still deciding), and it might give you an idea of what I'm
planning...

That sounds like a fun project.  I will PM you when ready

Brax

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:55 am »
Just wondering if it is possible to remove the motor for the 10" side firing woofer so it could be used as the passive radiator in the RM30.

mrcasey69

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2013, 02:04 am »
Just wondering if it is possible to remove the motor for the 10" side firing woofer so it could be used as the passive radiator in the RM30.

I wondered that myself.   When I was researching the thought I did come across some mention and (if I am remembering correctly) some implementation of that idea.  But, for the reasonable price of a purpose designed PR I decided not to experiment.