SUPER 15" PR's for VMPS Subs and Towers.

John Casler

SUPER 15" PR's for VMPS Subs and Towers.
« on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:30 am »
As some of you know, I have been on a journey to find a 15" PR because so many of you have Subs (LARGER/VSS/215/VLA) that require a 15" Passive Radiator.

I have scoured the OEMs that I was aware of, and searched and searched any place I could.

I have spent a lot of time trying different models, having them modded a bit, and trying them again.

Well finally today I hit the jackpot.  After mounting the sample in but a single LARGER (I have 4) the bass difference was startling. :thumb:

I am a happy camper.  I would have to say that overall, it not only matches, but exceeds the performance of the BB PR we have no more of.  Now, I did a little bit of serious listening, and initially have not heard any reduction in all the clarity and tonality from my BB PR's.  I have NOT done any putty pinching so far, but the design lends itself to doing so if you want to go the extra mile.

This is especially fortuitous for those of you who are looking at the INVENTORY of VSS and LARGER cabinets we have still available.  You now can purchase them with confidence that you can have a PR that not only fits and works, but actually exceeds the Original Equipment.

I have NEVER heard bass so deep and plentiful in my system as I heard immediately after tightening all the screws and turning on the PBS Sub amp, B and I were working on.  Keep in mind, this was only on a single LARGER sub.  I can't imagine what it will be like after I get the 3 more production samples from the OEM installed in the other 3.

Now hopefully, all of you with the old Subs will not have to trash them if the PR fails. 

Retail will be a bit more expensive than the Big Bump at $115 plus shipping, but it is going to make you feel better about your sub than you have in a while.

Anyone who purchases one of the SUB Cabinets, get them for close to my cost which is $89 plus shipping. Which should allow you to purchase the Cabinets with confidence.

And for those of you who want one for your present SUB I want to move the first run production samples I had to work with, so first come first served at $95 plus shipping (I am keeping 4 of them and can have more made anytime now)

Hope that helps not only keep your subs WORKING, but I think you will find that you will freak out at how good they are. 
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2013, 07:40 pm by John Casler »

Linkwitz Riley

Re: SUPER 15" PR's for VMPS Subs.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:03 pm »
John, that is good news and bad news...good because we now have something that will work with the larger cabinets you still have in stock.  I just wish you had some in black oak!  I wonder if you could re-coat a light oak cabinet to the black oak finish?  (and look as good as a standard black oak cabinet). 
The bad is that I just purchased all new BB PRs for my existing RM2s and 2 Larger Subs.  I must admit I was not happy with the build quality & cosmetics of those.  I wish I had held off. 
Will these new PRs be compatible with all woofer versions in the Larger? (standard, mega, and ultra-mega?) Is there clearance for all the basket/magnet types?  How would the sound (tuning) differ with each?  I have ultras in my Largers but Brian recommended staying with the carbon-fiber megas in the RM2s due to better high frequency response.  Although that is obviously a 12" PR and you are talking only about 15" models right now.
Does the new PR drop in on old & new cabinets?  I know that to add ultramega woofers to my Largers I had to modify the mounting flange on the cabinet to get the drivers to sit flush so I could still use the grilles.  Obviously the grill is not an issue with the PR, but just checking to see if its truly a drop-in replacement.
Is there adjustable mass via washers or anything, or are you saying you can add your own putty if you want to add mass only?
That's enough questions for now!  Thanks in advance for your reply.

Housteau

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:04 pm »
Those should also work in the VLAs.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:10 pm »
John, that is good news and bad news...good because we now have something that will work with the larger cabinets you still have in stock.  I just wish you had some in black oak!  I wonder if you could re-coat a light oak cabinet to the black oak finish?  (and look as good as a standard black oak cabinet). 

I am not skilled in the paining arts  :lol:  but one could likely paint the oak cabinet with results equal to one's paining skills.

The bad is that I just purchased all new BB PRs for my existing RM2s and 2 Larger Subs.  I must admit I was not happy with the build quality & cosmetics of those.  I wish I had held off. 

It appears all of these were made "in-house" and cosmetics were of no concern.

Will these new PRs be compatible with all woofer versions in the Larger? (standard, mega, and ultra-mega?) Is there clearance for all the basket/magnet types?  How would the sound (tuning) differ with each?

They should be compatible with all.  Clearance is the same as with the BB PR.  These are so new, that I have not had the opportunity to try "any" tuning, but the tone, timber, and response (out of the box) seems to be equal to the BB PR except they seem to go LOWER.

I have not employed any putty on these as yet.

I have ultras in my Largers but Brian recommended staying with the carbon-fiber megas in the RM2s due to better high frequency response.  Although that is obviously a 12" PR and you are talking only about 15" models right now.
Does the new PR drop in on old & new cabinets? 

It actually drops "on" and has about a 1/2" lip, but the screws line up and tighten.  This was one of the major challenges in finding a useable design.

I know that to add ultramega woofers to my Largers I had to modify the mounting flange on the cabinet to get the drivers to sit flush so I could still use the grilles.  Obviously the grill is not an issue with the PR, but just checking to see if its truly a drop-in replacement.

As above, it is a drop on.

Is there adjustable mass via washers or anything, or are you saying you can add your own putty if you want to add mass only?
That's enough questions for now!  Thanks in advance for your reply.

The OEM's original design has a provision for washers, but can also accept putty for those so inclined.  My initial tests used neither, with exceptional results (with standard MegaWoofer LARGER Subs)

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:13 pm »
Those should also work in the VLAs.

While we all know, Brian occasionally used a non-standard dimension here or there, these should be made to work in any of the 15" Passive Radiator apps.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2013, 06:26 pm »
I now have a 12" PR too ($99) and am working on 10", which should help keep most of the models up and running in the bass dept.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2013, 07:40 pm »
I now have a 12" PR too ($99) and am working on 10", which should help keep most of the models up and running in the bass dept.

The 10" PR is now available and is $89 plus shipping. 

It will work in the RM40 and side firing RM30

Shear Bliss

Re: SUPER 15" PR's for VMPS Subs and Towers.
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:38 pm »
John, Will the 10" passive work in the RM-1s also ???

Sheer Bliss

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:49 pm »
John, Will the 10" passive work in the RM-1s also ???

Sheer Bliss

Yes, the RM40, side firing RM30 Series II, and the RM1

DFaulds

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2013, 04:55 pm »
Will these be OK for horizontal mounting?  Most PRs with very low Fs usually have a pretty heavy moving mass and tend to sag pretty quickly, unless thay are specifically designed for horizontal mounting.  That usually requires a pretty stiff suspension, sometimes using dual spiders.

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2013, 08:21 pm »
Yes, these have a pretty stiff suspension, especially compared to the old PRs.

Can't imagine them sagging the way we use them.

Shear Bliss

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2013, 07:13 pm »
Hello,
        Any body out there that has the older 6 1/2" Graphite midwoofers from perhaps a Mega Woofer upgrade, I"m looking for two (2) for my 626 speakers. My Eagle 2 power switch went up, taking both left side drivers out. Surprisng the Tweeter did"nt get fried too.

I also have four (4) original 8" Graphite Woofers from a Mega woofer upgrade on my RM-1s if anybody is interested.

Sincerely,
Sheer Bliss

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2013, 08:00 pm »
Hi Shear B,

In the near future I might have a situation where I need your RM-1 woofers and have a couple of the older 6.5" MegaWoofers.

Maybe a trade?

Shear Bliss

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2013, 04:06 am »
Thanks John,
                  Any help greatly appriciated from you or the VMPS community on the 6 1/2" midwoofers, thanks Mr. Casler. I had talked to Brian on a Mega Upgrade, but felt a tweeter upgrade over the Philips tweeter at the time more useful, but alas Brian had no solution. I"m sure the Mega woofers outpace the Graphites, but in the 626 application I"m quite happy with them. In my RM-1 application the difference was qwickly apparent. The Megas ruled.

Tho not the 626R ... these unasuming monitors kick some serious ass, would love to keep them as OEM as possible.

Sincerely, Sheer Bliss