Looking for a Display Piece

Scott F.

Looking for a Display Piece
« on: 8 May 2016, 12:35 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thought I'd toss this one out and see if I could get a nibble or two. I'm looking for a display piece for the man cave. What I'd like to find is an old table top Talking Machine, the one with a horn.

The brand doesn't matter, it could be a Victor, Columbia, Edison, Standard, whoever. The big thing is I'm looking for one with the horn. Oh, I'm not interested in a floor model as I don't have room for it. Also, I've already got a portable, wind up on display so I'm not interested in one of those. I would also consider an Edison cylinder machine too.

The machine doesn't have to work as it's only going to be a display. It just needs to be in reasonable condition. I'd like the horn to be in tact and not too dented up. I'm not interested in a 'perfect' machine. I want the aged look and patina...just not to the point of falling apart if you look at it.

Now the kicker...I don't want to spent a fortune. The prices for these get pretty stupid, pretty fast for a restored piece. Hence, part of my reason for looking for an 'aged' piece.

Ultimately, I'd like to find one in the $200 - $300 range. If you're interested in a trade, I've got plenty of trade bait sitting around.

So, if one of you local guys have one sitting around collecting dust, give me a shout. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands :thumb:

daves

Scott F.

Re: Looking for a Display Piece
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2016, 11:11 pm »
Good catch Dave, thanks  :thumb:   Are you going?

daves

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2016, 12:22 am »
Give me a call. There are bigger fish as well.  :icon_surprised:

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2016, 01:55 am »
Will do. I need to run by Mikes too. He's got a pair of Scott amps sitting on his shelves that I paid for, oh, months ago  :duh: no rest of the weary. 

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2016, 04:20 am »
With all the trailblazing, auctions, estate sales, and deals to be had, what are your favorite finds of 2015/2016?

Mine was probably the Sansui G-8000 monster receiver that I dug out of a garage.

Changing topics, Dave did you get your Thorens to play the way you wanted?

daves

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2016, 03:21 pm »
Kyle, it sounds great. Come to the fundraiser and you can be the guest dj

popthinker

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2016, 01:00 am »
What Thorens do you have, Dave? To answer BaronKyle's question, I just picked up a TD 160 mkI at an estate sale last weekend. Currently with Mike.

daves

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2016, 11:30 pm »
Mike just rebuilt an SME 3009 arm with a Shure V15MKIII, Cardas wire, on a Thorens TD 125. The TD 124 is still armless, although it may end up with a very, very early SME 3009. You'll hear the TD 125 at the fundraiser, POp.

popthinker

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2016, 02:03 am »
Looking forward to it!

mjmsound

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2016, 12:47 pm »
The wire was 1877 5-litz-7 tonearm wire with V-wound construction.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2016, 12:18 am »
Look on EBay for these guys from Mumbai, India who find and restore old gramophones.  I got the one for $200 plus shipping, and it works !!