cartridge recommendations for RB250?

SkyBlue

cartridge recommendations for RB250?
« on: 11 Jul 2010, 04:39 pm »
Hello there, I'm looking for cartridge recommendations, for an older RB250, that cost around or less than $200? The arm is going to go on either a Technics 1200 or an Avid Diva, I still haven't decided. I was thinking AT440Mla or Ortofon?  What would be ideal with this arm?

Wayner

Re: cartridge recommendations for RB250?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2010, 08:17 pm »
I run the AT440MLa in my RB300 and it is VERY happy. Tracks well at 1.6 grams.

Wayner

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2010, 11:41 pm »
The nice thing about Rega arms is that with medium mass, a fairly rigid wand, and reasonably tight bearings, you can use almost any cartridge you want to.  Not a match for ultra high compliance carts, but the Ortofon 2m's, the aforementioned AT, Denon DL-160 and numerous other HOMC's, etc are all good choices.  I'm even getting good results with a pretty high compliance vintage Empire right now.

The two main problems are with VTA and Baerwald alignment with some cartridges.  VTA is easily solved by using one of the inexpensive adjusters on the market, I like the thin walled aluminum type that don't require drilling a larger hole, but if mounting new it doesn't matter that much.  I think I once saw a VTA adjustable base for RB250/300 mounting on SL2100's, but can't be sure, KAB maybe?

When mounting the tonearm with Rega specific templates, you can get a little short on the mounting slots with some carts and Baerwald alignment.  This is solved my mounting a couple of mm closer, no problem if you are newly installing. 

SkyBlue

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2010, 04:00 am »
Thanks for the replies, I'm using a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Geo-Disc for cart alignment and for VTA, i just ordered a Origin Live VTA adjuster...

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:45 am »
From all the reading I've been doing, the humble RB-250 is THE arm for mods, so it sounds, no pun intended, like your off to a good start.

I suppose it depends on the deck your using. Grado's are known to hum w/ the unshielded motors of Thorens and Rega decks.

I'm running a Denon 160 w/ my P3-24 (RB-301) and like it very much. I almost went w/ Wayne's suggestion on the AT, as he obviously knows his stuff, but all the reviews on the Denon said it has a huge soundstage, which is something I find fun. And my foray into vinyl was all about fun.....not necessarily absolute truth.

Others may differ, but I've been really happy w/ the service from needledoctor.com.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2010, 07:48 pm »
The Denon DL-160 will mate very, very well with the Rega 250.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2010, 07:57 pm »
I like the AT 'cause it's probably (IMHO), the best cartridge in the $100-$150 range. I'm sure the Denon is nice too. Perhaps I'll try one someday. I still have 2 AT440MLa's in stock and 6 stylus, so it may be awhile. Even this little POS cartridge still sounds better then lots of CDs.

:peek:

W

SkyBlue

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:46 am »
I have a Denon DL110 on a Jelco straight arm variant (a old Revolver), sounds fine, but I am just curious how the same track sounds with another arm and cart combination, RB250 plus something....

boycephoto

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2010, 03:25 am »
I second the Denon DL 160 high output moving coil, I have seen them from about $135 to $180.  Excellent cartridge for the money.   An Audio by VanAlstine Longhorn Grado would be another great option. 

Good luck, cartridges can kind of be a grab bag purchase, your not going to really know how it sounds until you get it into your system. 

Dave

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2010, 05:09 am »
The DL 160 is a good match for the RB250/300, I got very good results with mine.  Grados have been problematic, no matter how much I love them, and I can get them to work on the Rega arm, but not a recommendation for those not in love with Grados, too much trouble, they should have a damped arm.  Same with Empires, another favorite that can be cajoled to work, but not a slam dunk for the arm.  Otherwise almost any of the current fav carts, even DL 103's will work.  AT's, Benz, Bluepoints, Boboli, Goldrings, Nagoaka, and of course even Rega cartridges will all work fine with the RB250/300.  Stop stressing and enjoy, you'll buy about a zillion cartridges anyway.