CUTTING "SKINNY" WOOD

sch

CUTTING "SKINNY" WOOD
« on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:11 pm »
Hello friends,
Due to a lot of reasons, a moving is coming in the near months. The new place can't have a dedicated audio/listening/HT room. The Music/HT setup needs to be placed in the living room, which is going to be surrounded by a lot of glass being open to the forest that surrounds this little house 1.200 SQ FT.

For fronts (L+R) I decided to go with the Skinny 6, the center will be the "Flat 5" that Danny is (hopefully) designing and for surrounds, I quite frankly don't have a clue. All suggestions are more than welcome. They HAVE to go in or on the ceiling because the side walls are actually glass doors to the deck that surrounds the living. Please check the drawings of both the whole house and a detail of the area where the HT will be placed. I marked L,C,R and SL and SL for the in ceiling surrounds:

sch

Re: CUTTING "SKINNY" WOOD
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:44 pm »
All the MDF has been cut and the CNC Router started to work. Next week the drivers and all the parts will be here in Colombia.

sch

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2016, 02:09 pm »
Because dim in drawings are in meters, let me give you some info in ft.
Distance from TV (to be placed on the wall) to the sitting area: about 10 ft.
L and R Skinnys separation : about 5 ft.
I guess that the dims and acoustic of this place are far from ideal but they are what they are. One of the reasons to go with the Skinnys was the comment from Danny about them being ideal fro bright rooms.
Please help with ideas for surrounds. Ceiling will have wood beams, by the way.

sch

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2016, 02:16 pm »
I forgot to mention that I will be following a suggestion from Danny to add wood panels to the sides of the Skinnys. My idea is to paint the Skinnys black and for the panels to use a very nice veneer.
Finally and just to share with you guys what we think will make this place a nice one, the following are two photos of the lot and the view. This is a subdivision in a farm near the city.
Thanks in advance for all your help. :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2016, 08:37 pm »
Santiago,

The first idea that comes to mind for the surrounds are the A/V-1 RS's. While they are designed to mount on the wall and fire up and out, Danny has said they can be mounted on the ceiling and fire down and out.

A second option would be the X-Omni if you have enough floor space behind the sofa so you wouldn't trip over them.

As far as actual in ceiling speakers go, I don't have any experience with them to make recommendations.

Mike

sch

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2016, 01:59 am »
Santiago,

The first idea that comes to mind for the surrounds are the A/V-1 RS's. While they are designed to mount on the wall and fire up and out, Danny has said they can be mounted on the ceiling and fire down and out.

A second option would be the X-Omni if you have enough floor space behind the sofa so you wouldn't trip over them.

As far as actual in ceiling speakers go, I don't have any experience with them to make recommendations.

Mike

Hello Mike,
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll contact Danny about the A/V-1 RS. I'm afraid that there is not enough space for the X-Omni and the WAF wouldn't be high enough for them.
Gracias!!
Santiago

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2016, 02:53 am »
How about a pair of LGK mounted to the ceiling?  They are very small and would be a perfect sonic match to the skinny-6.

Maybe a question for Danny - did you ever maybe draw up a MTM (or woofer-fullrange-woofer) version of the LGK?  Something like that sealed might also be small enough and fit the bill while matching levels closer to the skinny-6?

sch

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2016, 07:06 pm »
Thanks Jonathon,
Let's hear what the man has to say...I'm grateful and open for all the suggestions.
Santiago

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2016, 07:31 pm »
At some point I will complete the Flat 5 design. I just haven't had time to get to all the design work that I really want to do.

Santiago, Nice home spot! I love it.

And the LGK 1.0 kits will be great for surrounds.

sch

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2016, 02:39 am »
Hello Danny!
Glad you liked the spot for the "retreat".
Today the drivers and the rest of the kit arrived! :thumb I"ll be waiting for your news about the Flat 5.
On the LGKs, how would you mount them if you up in the ceiling?

Great timing because the cabinets are ready for the assembly process:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2016, 03:29 am »
You could use a mount like these. The LGK's could probably be turned on their side to reduce how far they hang down from the ceiling if necessary.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_121AM25W/Pinpoint-AM25-White.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_121AM10B/Pinpoint-AM10.html

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-106839-Adjustable-Speaker-Bracket/dp/B004C4XN86

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:14 am »
Hey Santiago,

Check the cabinet plans and you'll see that the second brace down is a solid brace (no through holes). It seals the air space of the upper driver.

There is also a brace needed below the lowest driver making seven of them in all. See the cabinet plans for the appropriate spacing. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:18 am »
And if you mount the LGK's on the wall then try to get as far out from the wall with them that you can.

sch

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:05 am »
You could use a mount like these. The LGK's could probably be turned on their side to reduce how far they hang down from the ceiling if necessary.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_121AM25W/Pinpoint-AM25-White.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_121AM10B/Pinpoint-AM10.html

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-106839-Adjustable-Speaker-Bracket/dp/B004C4XN86

Mike

Great ideas for the on ceiling LGKs. Do you think that this is a better option than "conventional" on ceiling designed loudspeakers?
Thanks,
Santiago

sch

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:07 am »
Hey Santiago,

Check the cabinet plans and you'll see that the second brace down is a solid brace (no through holes). It seals the air space of the upper driver.

There is also a brace needed below the lowest driver making seven of them in all. See the cabinet plans for the appropriate spacing.

Thanks Danny!! Yes, the boys just layed out the parts for the photo (they are not glued). Today we will assemble the cabinets and I'll make sure that we will follow the drawings.

Santiago

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:14 pm »

Great ideas for the on ceiling LGKs. Do you think that this is a better option than "conventional" on ceiling designed loudspeakers?
Thanks,
Santiago

By conventional on ceiling do you mean in ceiling mounted speaker (circular speaker which, when mounted, the grill is flush with the ceiling) like these (Polk Audio ceiling mounted surround speakers)?

If this is what you are asking about I can't really say, I have never listened to any.

Mike

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm »
And if you mount the LGK's on the wall then try to get as far out from the wall with them that you can.

Danny, could the port on the LGK be flipped around to the front?  This might help out with the on-wall (ceiling) installation?

sch

« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:53 pm »

By conventional on ceiling do you mean in ceiling mounted speaker (circular speaker which, when mounted, the grill is flush with the ceiling) like these (Polk Audio ceiling mounted surround speakers)?

Yes, that is what I was thinking.
Thanks,
Santiago

sch

« Reply #18 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:55 pm »
Danny, could the port on the LGK be flipped around to the front?  This might help out with the on-wall (ceiling) installation?
Excellent idea! That way I can install the LGKs really close to the ceiling. Danny? :thumb:
Gracias
Santiago

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2016, 12:12 am »

If this is what you are asking about I can't really say, I have never listened to any.

Mike

The cancellation effect of the dual tweeters on those is pretty significant. It creates a pretty big hole in the response.