Maybe the best $100 system ever?

BoJonJovi

Re: Maybe the best $100 system ever?
« Reply #100 on: 18 Jun 2014, 06:52 pm »
Poulty, I love the Daytons which I picked up for $35; jeea how can you go wrong. However, I like the Pioneers much better. The Pioneers have very little play time on them  and they blow my mind every time I hear them.
My wife is starting to grumble about all my speakers so I am going to liquidate all my Maggies and my old Jantzen electrostatics.
Considering the size and sound of the little Pioneers compared the size of the Maggies and Jantzen's I just can't justify the intrusive nature of a big speaker. I now have the little pioneers in my living room which is about 16x16.
I still have the Pioneers in my Amazon Q. Next time I see them for $65 I plan to get another pair or maybe even two.
Cheers!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #101 on: 18 Jun 2014, 07:54 pm »
BJJ, did you upgrade the Dayton caps?

I have the B22's in my bedroom powered by a digital Panasonic XR55 and paired with a DIY Triska subwoofer.

With that amp, the Pioneers seem more refined, less edgy, laid back but darker and more veiled compared to the Daytons. They lack the "in yo' face" jump factor of the Daytons.

To me the Daytons are more exciting. They grab my attention and hold it longer.

But the B22's are better bedroom speakers as they put me to sleep.  :thumb:

randytsuch

« Reply #102 on: 18 Jun 2014, 09:31 pm »
I have the B22's in my bedroom powered by a digital Panasonic XR55 and paired with a DIY Triska subwoofer.

Little off topic, but I have been wanting a little sub for a near field system.  I'm building some LGK's from GR Research.
I did some googling, and the Triska looks interesting.

How do you like it?

Randy

Poultrygeist

« Reply #103 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:36 am »
I really like the Triska and it's quite musical, filling in the lower octave for the small book shelf speakers such as the B22 or B652. Shown here with a Dayton outboard amp it works even better with a Yung SD100. The 70 watt plate amp PE recommends is ok but a tad short on power

Poultrygeist

« Reply #104 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:38 am »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #105 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:41 am »
Bridging the Dayton for more power.

randytsuch

« Reply #106 on: 19 Jun 2014, 03:29 am »
I really like the Triska and it's quite musical, filling in the lower octave for the small book shelf speakers such as the B22 or B652. Shown here with a Dayton outboard amp it works even better with a Yung SD100. The 70 watt plate amp PE recommends is ok but a tad short on power

cool thanks for the info

I saw someone at diyaudio same the same thing about the triska amp, so if I decide to build one I'll spring for a larger amp

BoJonJovi

« Reply #107 on: 19 Jun 2014, 08:47 pm »
Yo PG
I did not upgrade the caps. Run me through that and I will. I am still slowly putting this system together. I know, I am glacially slow. I have all the parts. I am messing with it today, so maybe just maybe if my ADD does not kick and I move on to some other shiny object, maybe I will get some electrons moving today.
Here is how a real ADD guy rolls. I have a kitchen remodel going (started in January), basement drywall texture job going, outside patio going (started last fall), summer gardening and weeds, magnepan rebuild, dishwasher pump went out and took out the basement ceiling below; not connected with the texture job but will morph into it, 100 dollar system build. I am so darn scattered I drive myself crazy. I am darn good starter but a pretty poor finisher. My wife is a saint.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #108 on: 19 Jun 2014, 09:46 pm »
Buy two 6.8uF audio grade Dayton caps from Parts Express.

Remove B652 tweeter screws and lift tweeters out and rest them on baffle as there's extra wiring to allow this. No need to disconnect negative side or remove drivers.

Snip out the tiny stock caps on the positive tweeter tabs while leaving the negative lead connected.

Solder the new upgraded caps ( they'll be several times larger ) between the positive tweeter tab and the positive speaker lead.

Reassemble and enjoy the instant sound improvement.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2014, 07:05 pm by Poultrygeist »

kingshuk

« Reply #109 on: 28 Sep 2016, 11:18 pm »
TPA3116/6N3. PG tuned me into these. Sound great! Going to order some of those Daytons too.

Hi Opa1, great piece of work! I have bought the 6N3 + 6Z4 preamp with the transformer. Mine is 220V input as I live in India. My knowledge of electronics is minimal and I wanted to ask you how you wired the fuse in the fuse-holder, the toggle switch and the IEC socket with the transformer. I can get a general idea by looking at the photo you have so nicely provided. But I would like to know about the specific polarities involved in the wiring.
Thanks,
Kingshuk