carrying on VMPS

rbbert

Re: carrying on VMPS
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2013, 04:38 am »
Any of the new CDWG'S?  (there is a pair of V60's in the classifieds that look like they could use some)

Stimpy

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:19 pm »
I would love to see this happen!    :D 

I've always wanted a pair of VMPS speakers (or at least wanted a pair, after hearing RM30's in 2004, at CES).  But, cash for hobbies, even audio, comes after real-life expenditures.  So, no extra cash for speakers, even as reasonably priced as Brian's.  Now, if I had crossover details, and schematics, I could probably clone a VMPS.  I never wanted to ask Brian about this.  I don't really fell too comfortable discussing it now....    :oops:

Maybe the information could be shared via a PM, instead of a public posting?    :o

If VMPS is not continuing as VMPS, it would be great if the details of the crossovers, cabinet construction etc could be made public. I imagine a lot of DIYers would love to try to make some VMPS clones.

John Casler

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:50 pm »
Although this is preliminary here are "some" of the cabinets available.

15 - LRC  (Piano Black)

1 - VSS SUB (Ebony)

12 - LARGER SUBS (Light Oak/ Cherry)

10 (5 pair) - RM V60 wings (Black/Rosewood)

And other assorted cabinets.

7x57

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2013, 07:46 pm »
At this point in time, it is not necessary to worry about building any new VMPS loudspeakers. I would worry about keeping those loudspeakers and subwoofers built since the neopanel models became available in service and upgraded as better parts become available. The FIRST problem to solve is to keep the BEST that VMPS has produced in operation for as long as possible. Think of it like a Stradivarius violin. People keep repairing and using them for as long as possible. At some point in time, demand for new product might become so strong that going back into production in a manner that would be profitable as well as state-of-the-art in design and build quality would be entirely feasible.

Ohm Loudspeakers did not fold up and blow away when Lincoln Walsh passed on. The revolutionary Walsh driver was refined and upgraded and even better models of Ohm loudspeakers eventually appeared. I see no reason that Brian's neopanel drivers and crossover designs could not eventually enjoy such a renaissance. In a similar vein, the moving iron phono cartridge did not go away when Joseph Grado passed on. I still believe there is a Klipschorn loudspeaker even though Paul W. Klipsch has passed on. And then there is the Lowther driver......the list goes on for quite some way. I see no reason the VMPS neopanel can't keep on going a while longer. At least the neopanels could be produced for DIY enthusiasts to make something similar to VMPS speakers, similar to what Lowther has done.

rbbert

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:52 am »
Danny Ritchie's GR research speakers have much in common with VMPS speakers, and most can be built from kits.  I suspect Brian's crossovers are a bit more sophisticated, but he worked on perfecting them over a much longer period of time.

rbbert

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:53 am »
I'd still to hear from John about availability of new design CDWG's?

Stimpy

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:00 pm »
Huh?!?!?  To the best of my knowledge, Joe Grado is still alive.  Angelo Grado (I believe Joe's brother) passed away last year (which lead to some confusion, resulting in various sites, reporting that Joe had died).  Joe is retired, with his nephew John, now running Grado Labs.  Though, I believe Joe still works on pet projects, with an occasional recording project, here and there...   :)  Nice guy...  Glad that I got to meet him!   :thumb:

In a similar vein, the moving iron phono cartridge did not go away when Joseph Grado passed on.

Hemy

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2013, 02:56 pm »
If VMPS is not continuing as VMPS, it would be great if the details of the crossovers, cabinet construction etc could be made public. I imagine a lot of DIYers would love to try to make some VMPS clones.

I need this JUST to be able to put together my LRC kit that was never supplied with instructions. As some of you know I am trying to get help but it is very few and very far between. Anyone reading this able to give me a hand?

PMAT

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jan 2013, 08:40 pm »
Can somebody with an LRC pull a couple drivers and photograph the crossover and other wire attachments? lets help Hemy out.

Hemy

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:09 pm »
Thanks so much PMAT!

Hemy

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jan 2013, 06:41 pm »
I got some help from Danny Richie from GR research....but I wanted to hook up the pots as well since they were included. Might have to do without them.  :|

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:06 am »
Hemy,

With a little luck I may have my LRC back soon and should be able to take some photos of the inards 4U.

Hemy

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:26 pm »
That would be great John. I actually did get it together yesterday but it sounds tinny...I assume I need some sorta "insulation" inside of it to tone it down. I would still like the photos please!

dubravko

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2013, 08:22 pm »
Today my website www.vmpseurope.com expired after eleven years. So, at the moment AC VMPS circle is the only place for info on VMPS speakers. However, there will be a VMPS legacy website at some other address, most likely visible within a month.

I browsed through a website yesterday looking for something I might not saved elsewhere, and found an interesting quote from Brian. I don't remember where this originates from, but he was asked about his motivation to do what he does. Here goes the main part of his answer;

"My experience is that the High End exists primarily as expression of company owners’ vanity. These outfits never make a profit, go through huge sums of Other Peoples’ Money, fail and reform only to repeat the process. In other words a large, costly ego trip readily supported by the audio press, some of which is performing the exact journalistic equivalent for the very same selfish reasons.

Mid fi and consumer audio corporations are out to make a buck; I never met anyone from those quarters who cared much about sound quality or even music. That area is dominated by offshore mass marketeers with all the heart of a large granite slab.

So just what am I doing here? Hopefully advancing the art, taking chances, indulging a taste for high quality and low prices and, I might add, making a living. And there is always the music. I make sure my rig gets the music to me intact; it’s my job and my reason for existing."

/mp

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2013, 07:00 pm »
I just now tested the website in response to note regarding its expiration. It loads in a browser which has never been to the site previously so the site definitely has not yet closed. This is a snapshot in time and has zero predictive reliability regarding continuing access to the site.

I understand the business reason for not reinvesting in a closed business; however, one imagines the marginal cost of maintaining a URL is de minimus. What advantage is served by closing  www.vmpseurope.com in favor of an alternative, e.g. www.vmps-legacy.com?

/mp

« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:08 am »
now it's suspended

dubravko

« Reply #36 on: 27 Feb 2013, 06:42 am »
Original VMPS domain was vmpsaudio.com, but due to some quite bizarre behavior from two service providers it went down last year. If this domain could be preserved for legacy site I would see a point to do it.

Free hosting space is offered elsewhere and as soon as material is prepared it will be uploaded. 

ctviggen

« Reply #37 on: 28 Feb 2013, 01:49 am »
Danny Ritchie's GR research speakers have much in common with VMPS speakers, and most can be built from kits.  I suspect Brian's crossovers are a bit more sophisticated, but he worked on perfecting them over a much longer period of time.

I don't believe Danny and Brian got along, though.  Anyone remember when Danny redid one of Brian's speakers and had a comparison test?

DFaulds

« Reply #38 on: 28 Feb 2013, 04:11 pm »
I don't believe Danny and Brian got along, though.  Anyone remember when Danny redid one of Brian's speakers and had a comparison test?

Yes, that whole episode was quite unfortunate.  However, I would completely disagree with the OP claim that Brian's crossovers are probably more sophisticated.  Danny and Brian took somewhat different approaches to design, but both designed and constructed impressive speakers.

Brian seem to have worked more towards finding drivers that could be used successfully with first order slopes, while Danny seems to approach it more as how to create a crossover that works best with selected drivers.