Best PIANO recording I have ever heard

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Best PIANO recording I have ever heard
« Reply #80 on: 23 Aug 2016, 05:03 am »
Earlier today I found another of these  on youtube under "Beethoven 1944".  In this one you could hear antiaircraft artillery firing during some of the quiet passages.  A fascinating bit of history...

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #81 on: 23 Aug 2016, 12:34 pm »
There is some discussion in the Youtube comments about available recordings. I also found this site: https://www.pristineclassical.com/pasc390.html

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #82 on: 23 Aug 2016, 07:04 pm »
There is some discussion in the Youtube comments about available recordings. I also found this site: https://www.pristineclassical.com/pasc390.html
I found the sound on these re-mastered recordings hugely inferior to the recording I linked to which apparently was untouched, just converted to digital without processing. I wonder if this is the recording that Andrew Rose, the mastering engineer at Pristine was working from. What I hear resembles a lot of contemporary orchestral recorded sound—way too sibilant and brash—as if the engineer had forgotten what a real orchestra sounds like in a real hall. Fatiguing.
I remember reading of one incident where a few recording engineers were attending a live orchestral performance. One turned to another and was heard to say "where's the tweeter?".

RipTorn

« Reply #83 on: 23 Aug 2016, 09:50 pm »
Yarlung Records , a real pleasure to deal with ,..Thank You Bob Attyeh

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #84 on: 23 Aug 2016, 10:07 pm »
I found the sound on these re-mastered recordings hugely inferior to the recording I linked to which apparently was untouched, just converted to digital without processing. I wonder if this is the recording that Andrew Rose, the mastering engineer at Pristine was working from. What I hear resembles a lot of contemporary orchestral recorded sound—way too sibilant and brash—as if the engineer had forgotten what a real orchestra sounds like in a real hall. Fatiguing.
I remember reading of one incident where a few recording engineers were attending a live orchestral performance. One turned to another and was heard to say "where's the tweeter?".

Good to know, Russell. I couldn't tell much playing the sample over my iMac speakers.

Klavierman

« Reply #85 on: 26 Aug 2016, 09:46 pm »
How does the audio quality of this disc compare to Fung's?

My copy arrived today--it sounds great! I'm used to a bit more hall sound, but you clearly captured the piano and it's not completely airless. Orion's playing is fantastic!

I also enjoyed both sets of booklet notes, especially the session notes. Both sound as if they were written by a real person, not some ivory tower pseudo-intellectual!

A question: I see that it was recorded at 172kHz/24 bit, and since you are in the enviable position to compare the master to a CD copy, how much quality does one lose with the down conversion to redbook standards? It's a pity this isn't an SACD so the full resolution would be preserved.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #86 on: 26 Aug 2016, 11:01 pm »
I'm eager for my copy to arrive- was hoping it would be in today's mail  :(

ACHiPo

« Reply #87 on: 27 Aug 2016, 07:44 pm »
I just posted a preliminary review of Yarlung's LP titles here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145173.msg1552836#msg1552836

AgentOrange

« Reply #88 on: 2 Sep 2016, 12:16 am »
I ran across Clara Ponty a few months back.
She is exciting and does not just hit all the notes perfectly.

OzarkTom

« Reply #89 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:41 am »
I found Fung's Evening Conversations on EBay for 3.19 plus shipping. It showed up this week and looks brand new.

Fiddleronroof

« Reply #90 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:42 am »
I am a classical guy. If I was heading to a desserted island with one CD, it would be Sviatoslav Richter's Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto with Leinsdorf.  The remastering technology came a long way, the most recent ones are just superb!

ACHiPo

« Reply #91 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:57 am »
I found Fung's Evening Conversations on EBay for 3.19 plus shipping. It showed up this week and looks brand new.
Congrats!  You did well.  Curious what you think.

RipTorn

« Reply #92 on: 21 Sep 2016, 12:34 am »
David Fung , Evening Conversations ,...Just recently added AC conditioner including new AC cords to my digital components ,.Was I missing out on this great performance and "especially the recording" ,.Wow ,.what tone , what dynamics , Just beautiful !