Question! Oppo BDP-105 Mod Options!

modwright

Question! Oppo BDP-105 Mod Options!
« on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:19 pm »
Two areas of possible improvement that I am looking at, are the stock SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply) and the headphone out circuit.

The SMSP MAY be replaced with a linear supply of our own design.  This will benefit the video and other aspects of the player, that are not fed from the linear audio power supply in the 105.

The headphone circuit is another area of potential improvement.  It already uses a very good current-feedback amplifier, to match HP impedance.  It is, however, driven by an op-amp circuit of VERY low gain.  Not sure why, but according to the Oppo folks, there was a firmware conflict that required them to keep the gain low on the HP outs.  I believe I have a way to replace the op-amps with tube signal and still retain the SS impedance matching HP amplifier, as THAT chip is exceptional and uses no negative feedback, only current feedback.

I am looking at both options, regardless, but if I had a show of hands, as to how many people will WANT these upgrades, it would be helpful!

Sincerely,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2014, 05:36 pm by modwright »

Freo-1

Re: Question! Oppo BDP-105 Mod Options!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm »
Not keen on Headphone upgrade, as I already use a Torpedo tubed headphone amp.
The linear power supply, definitely! 

Question:  Was the 95 PS linear or switched?

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:39 pm »
Thanks, the 95 uses a linear and SMPS.  The 95 used a simpler linear supply for DAC and audio circuits, while the SMSP served for laser control, display, video circuitry and everything BESIDES DACs and analog circuitry.

These other supplies ARE critical as they impact such factors as laser tracking, servo, focus, etc.  All of which, WILL impact jitter for audio and video and will impact audio and video performance as well as performance when used via HDMI and digital audio out.

Dan W.

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
If I were to go this route, I would prefer not to spend extra dollars for the headphone amp mod. Most likely, many of us have other solutions available for the headphone amp. I know I do - namely, the LS100, which has a fine headphone amp itself!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2012, 11:30 pm »
If I were to go this route, I would prefer not to spend extra dollars for the headphone amp mod. Most likely, many of us have other solutions available for the headphone amp. I know I do - namely, the LS100, which has a fine headphone amp itself!
Pretty much how I was going to respond (assuming the LS100 has a better headphone amp  :green:)

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2012, 11:41 pm »
I will consider one of two things:

Changing the gain from the op-amp stage to allow a greater range of headphones (if feasible).
Offer the HP out upgrade as an add-cost upgrade, so that everyone won't have to pay for it if they choose not to.

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:21 am »
Same here.  The HP mod is of no interest to me since I have several dedicated HP amps.

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2012, 03:42 am »
Thanks!

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2012, 09:44 am »
(Standing up waving both my hands) I would love the LPS and head mod, as some of us were waiting for a "Swiss Army Oppo".

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2012, 03:40 pm »
OK, thanks.

Dan

jfz

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2012, 05:37 pm »
Hi Dan,
I know the 105 is built without a fan.  When you do your mods, I assume you will not be adding a fan.  Yes?  If that's the case - no fan and no noise - I will be very happy!

Thanks,
John

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2012, 05:57 pm »
Well, I know the stock unit does not have a fan, but our turbo-charger intake manifold WILL require a blower.... :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.  No, we will not be adding a fan.  The only real heat produced with our mods is from the tubes and they are exposed to facilitate cooling.

Thank you,

Dan w.

talk2me

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2012, 06:07 pm »
Well, I know the stock unit does not have a fan, but our turbo-charger intake manifold WILL require a blower.... :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.  No, we will not be adding a fan.  The only real heat produced with our mods is from the tubes and they are exposed to facilitate cooling.

Thank you,

Dan w.

LOL, funny you should say that. I am right now in the process of putting a blower on my BMW 540i!  :lol:

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2012, 06:57 pm »
Hey man, we don't mess around here!  :thumb:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2012, 07:08 pm »
Do you need a tv monitor to use this model? One thing I really like about the Sony?Modwright 9100 is it's plug and play.

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2012, 07:20 pm »
Do you need a tv monitor to use this model? One thing I really like about the Sony?Modwright 9100 is it's plug and play.
Yes, to set this puppy up correctly, a monitor is required to get at the settings.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2012, 07:56 pm »

All the universal players I've seen (Ayre used to make a 2-channel one that did not need a monitor), require initial set-up.  It is quick though if you are just using it for audio.  Pretty much set your preferences what mix (2-channel. multi=channel, CD layer on a hybrid) to play when putting in an SACD.  If you have lots of DVD Audios. depending on how they are authored, it might be an issue.

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2012, 08:25 pm »
I have not used a monitor to setup the 103 and 105 that I have here.  To use USB input rather than regular inputs, simply toggle through the input selections via the 'source' button on the remote.  I actually have an older '95' remote.  The 105 remote may be slightly different, but still it can be plug and play.

I am sure that there are settings that can only be set via monitor, but I have not needed to do so at this point.

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #18 on: 26 Nov 2012, 09:31 pm »
Using the 105/103 only for audio, and not video, is like making love to a super model, and she won't let you kiss her.  :wink:

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 26 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm »
That's funny!  I realize that the video is also VERY good!  That is why our mods are also looking at ways to improve video performance!

Then you CAN kiss her!

Dan