iPad control app for Salksteam player?

Saturn94

iPad control app for Salksteam player?
« on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:46 am »
I'm hoping this year I can finally add a Salkstream player to my system to replace my current Logitech Touch for playing my personal music collection.  Though I'm mostly happy with the performance of the Touch, having to run Logitech Media Server on a separate computer (spare laptop running Windows 10) is sometimes a pain (mainly having to update Windows, sometimes laptop will reboot without me knowing about it, requiring re-logging in, until I go to play music....grrr).

I looked at the examples of control apps (for iPad) on the Salksrtream page and it left me confused about which would be best for me.

Currently I'm using iPeng Classic for iPad to control my Logitech Touch.  I love how iPeng looks and works.  Some of the things I really like; it displays cover art; I can sort by artist, album, genre; I can random play by album/genre(s)/artist/etc; it's easy to add or delete songs from the current playlist; the display isn't too cluttered.  Overall it's very user friendly and easy to find the music I want to play.

MPad looks similar to iPeng, but the reviews are very mixed and it appears it is no longer supported by the developer (it hasn't been updated since early 2014 despite complaints).  Some of the other apps look very busy, or don't appear to have features I currently enjoy.

I'm hoping others here who are familiar with iPeng could chime in and offer guidance. 

jsalk

Re: iPad control app for Salksteam player?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:40 am »
Having used iPeng a few years back, I can say that it is a very good program.  Unfortunately, it is not available as a front end to mpd.  Too bad, because it was really good.  That said, I got used to mPad in the years since and am quite happy with it. While it is a bit more work to get set up, you end up with pretty much the same kind of interface minus a few nice touches.

Of course, now that I am using Roon on our Generation III StreamPlayer, I can honestly say Roon leaves all others in the dust.  Is it perfect?  Probably not.  But the guys at Roon are top notch programmers and they are adding new features all the time.  I haven't experienced anything close to it and it continues to get better each passing day. 

During the development of our Gen III player, I have had the opportunity to work with Roon 1.2 which is likely to be released later this week.  It takes this great interface to the next level.   

Roon's integration with Tidal is top notch and is just one example of how to do things right. And being able to integrate multiple Roon-Ready devices into a system really expands the whole concept of a music server.

While iPeng and mPad are the work of one individual, it is neat to watch a group of dedicated programmers put the pedal to the metal. 

Roon is for real and it will only get better over time.  Highly recommended.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2016, 11:52 am »
Thanks, Jim.

Does Roon work on iPad?

Edit: I see Roon has an app for iPad.  It's says, "Roon for Mac or PC required".  I take it the required software would already be installed on the Salkstream so a separate PC or Mac wouldn't be needed?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2016, 01:17 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

Does Roon work on iPad?

Edit: I see Roon has an app for iPad.  It's says, "Roon for Mac or PC required".  I take it the required software would already be installed on the Salkstream so a separate PC or Mac wouldn't be needed?

Roon works great on a newer version of iPad.  It will not work on older versions.  You can tell if it will work on yours by simply trying to install it.  The Apple Store will prevent installation on older iPads not capable of running it and will inform you if you iPad can not run it.

Previously, Roon was only available for Windows or MAC computers.  Roon 1.2 was designed, in part, to expand on this and allow Roon to run on headless Linux devices like our StreamPlayer.  It requires a 64-version of Linux and a bit more horse-power than our previous versions of the StreamPlayer.  That is why we are coming out with Version III of our StreamPlayer in conjunction with the release of Roon 1.2.

Basically, you run one main copy of Roon (on our StreamPlayer, for example).  You can have other copies of Roon running on other computers, iPads, Android tablets, iPhones or Android phones.  These versions will search for the "core" Roon application and act like remote control units.  You get essentially the same interface you would if you used the Windows or Mac version of Roon as your main server. 

What's more, we will be showing small Roon Bridge devices that will allow you to send music from the StreamPlayer to additional systems on your network and control all of them.  So, for example, you could have one of these small devices in a bedroom and another in a living room, all being controlled by the StreamPlayer in your main system.  You can send separate music streams to each of these, or group them together and play the same music in all locations.

I received an email this morning and Roon 1.2 will be released within the next 48 hours.  Obliviously, we've been working with it for a few months now and are excited about being able to show it at AXPONA this weekend.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2016, 04:04 pm by jsalk »

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2016, 04:48 pm »
What's considered a "newer version " of iPad?  I have an original iPad Mini and an iPad Mini 2....oh, and an iPhone 5S.  Would these work?

Thanks again for the great info.  I wish I could attend the show to see it first hand.

Edit:  I see iPad Mini 2 listed as compatible, but not original iPad Mini nor any iPhone.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2016, 05:21 pm »
What's considered a "newer version " of iPad?  I have an original iPad Mini and an iPad Mini 2....oh, and an iPhone 5S.  Would these work?

Thanks again for the great info.  I wish I could attend the show to see it first hand.

Edit:  I see iPad Mini 2 listed as compatible, but not original iPad Mini nor any iPhone.

I don't know exactly which models are compatible and which are not powerful enough.  But there is an easy way to tell.  If the device is not compatible, it simply won't let you install the app. (I know, I tried.)

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2016, 11:28 pm »
I was hoping other Salkstream owners would share their experiences with iPad apps.

Anyone?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:05 am »
I was hoping other Salkstream owners would share their experiences with iPad apps.

Anyone?

Not a Salkstream owner, but I got to use Roon on an iPad Pro a few weekends ago when I visited a friend.

As Jim said, it is a substantially better user interface than anything else out there.

In the near future I will be going to Roon (I currently use JRiver + Jremote on the iPad).

George   

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:09 am »
Sorry I have no insight, but checking in to keep an eye on this thread.  I do have a salkstreamer that I haven't got set up yet; I need to find time to add a router to give me something to provide DHCP to get the streamer going.  I am interested to read about control apps for this as well.

Roon does sound (read to be) impressive, but I'm doing my best to avoid as much 'software as a service' as I can.  I know for most folks in the audio hobby, a $500 'lifetime membership' isn't a lot of money, but the whole concept just really rubs me the wrong way, and I say that looking across the entire software industry.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2016, 02:55 am »

I would have thought ERN DOG here on AC would have weighed in on this as he has a iPad and Salk Streamer.  Might send him a PM.

Alan

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2016, 04:36 am »
I received an email press release this morning.  Roon released version 1.2 this morning.  Obviously we've been using builds of it for the last couple of months.  But the timing of the release couldn't be better since that is what we planned to show at AXPONA for months. Neat the way it all came together...

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:48 am »
Sorry I have no insight, but checking in to keep an eye on this thread.  I do have a salkstreamer that I haven't got set up yet; I need to find time to add a router to give me something to provide DHCP to get the streamer going.  I am interested to read about control apps for this as well.

Roon does sound (read to be) impressive, but I'm doing my best to avoid as much 'software as a service' as I can.  I know for most folks in the audio hobby, a $500 'lifetime membership' isn't a lot of money, but the whole concept just really rubs me the wrong way, and I say that looking across the entire software industry.

The substantial premium for Roon really has me very hesitant.

Every time I look into upgrading from my Logitech Touch, the more I appreciate what a great device it is for such a low price (at the time I bought it).

Is there any reason Logitech Media Server couldn't be used on the Salkstream?  Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am a complete amateur when it comes to anything computer related (and the reason I don't build my own...eek!).  It appears to be available for many different operating systems (right term?).

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:21 am »

Is there any reason Logitech Media Server couldn't be used on the Salkstream?  Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am a complete amateur when it comes to anything computer related (and the reason I don't build my own...eek!).  It appears to be available for many different operating systems (right term?).

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9

At one time very early on, we did have SlimServer installed.  But it is not the most stable media software and is fairly buggy.  And there isn't much demand for supporting the Logitech hardware any more.  I suppose we could do it, but I don't know how excited I would be about the prospect.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2016, 03:01 pm »
At one time very early on, we did have SlimServer installed.  But it is not the most stable media software and is fairly buggy.  And there isn't much demand for supporting the Logitech hardware any more.  I suppose we could do it, but I don't know how excited I would be about the prospect.

- Jim

Buggy is bad. :mad:  I don't have much patience for that.  That said, I've not found LMS 7.9 buggy at all, at least the way I'm using it (installed on a dedicated laptop running Windows 10).  My biggest issue seems to be with Windows always needing updates.

Question about Roon:  it looks like you have to "subscribe" or buy a lifetime license.  I assume the Salkstream III comes with a lifetime license?  What happens if Roon goes away?  Will the software still work, at least in terms of how it handles playing my own music?

Ugh.....my brain hurts. :(

(This is what happens......I start researching a new player and it gets complicated, at least for me, and I give up :( )
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2016, 07:38 pm by Saturn94 »

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:43 pm »
Question about Roon:  it looks like you have to "subscribe" or buy a lifetime license.  I assume the Salkstream III comes with a lifetime license?  What happens if Roon goes away?  Will the software still work, at least in terms of how it handles playing my own music?

The new Generation III StreamPlayer is "Roon-Ready."  That means that Roon is installed and is ready to go.  When these units start shipping in May, they will likely ship with a certificate for an extended "trial" period over the existing 14-day free trial - perhaps 60 - 90 days.  The same annual or lifetime subscription will still apply after the extended trial period.  This will give owners an opportunity to play with Roon and determine whether or not they want to subscribe.  If not, the StreamPlayer will still have the full Generation II capabilities built in.  So you don't have to use Roon if you don't want to.

That said, I'll issue this warning:  If you take advantage of the extended trial, get your checkbook out.  You will never want to part with it.  Even with the lifetime subscription, it is a bargain in terms of the convenience, power and sheer joy this will add to your listening experience.  There is no other front end for music streaming that comes remotely close to Roon.  It is difficult to describe without actually playing with it yourself.

Many people would not think twice about adding a hardware device to their setup at this price.  Well, using Roon as a front end to a streaming system will enhance your enjoyment of your system in ways that you don't realize until you use it. 

And with RoonBridge devices, you can have multiple zones throughout your home and control all of them with your iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or Android phone (provided they are relatively new and have the processing power to handle the interface).

As to what would happen if Roon were to to out of business, that would have no effect on your music library and the system will still have all the capabilities of the Generation II StreamPlayer.

I hope that answers your questions.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:51 pm »
PS:  I should also add that if you subscribe to Tidal, you will have access to 20 million additional music tracks you can add seamlessly to your library and stream them on demand at any time...just as if you owned the music and it was stored on your StreamPlayer.  Other than a small Tidal logo in the corner of the album art, you would never know it wasn't in your personal music library. In fact, the Roon Tidal interface is completely transparent and Roon is the best front end for Tidal as well.  It is far superior to Tidal's own application.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:53 pm »
Thank you for the great info.  It does answer some of my questions. :)

Concerning what would happen if Roon went out of business, I was wondering if the Roon software would continue to function as the front end to control/play my personal library.  I gather from the info you provided I would have to use a different control app if Roon went belly up.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:54 pm »
Hi Jim,

By RoonReady, do you mean the Roon Core has been integrated into the Salkstream? Or is the Salkstream acting as an endpoint?

Sorry, I'm a little late getting into the Roon discussion.

Todd

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2016, 05:29 pm »
Thank you for the great info.  It does answer some of my questions. :)

Concerning what would happen if Roon went out of business, I was wondering if the Roon software would continue to function as the front end to control/play my personal library.  I gather from the info you provided I would have to use a different control app if Roon went belly up.

Well, that is a hard question to answer because it is hypothetical.  As long as they kept their license server running, Roon would keep running. And if they were out of business, I don't see any reason they wouldn't.  After all, they wouldn't be looking for additional revenue at that point anyway.  That said, with what they have already accomplished and what is on the horizon, I doubt that they would be going away any time soon.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2016, 05:30 pm »
Hi Jim,

By RoonReady, do you mean the Roon Core has been integrated into the Salkstream? Or is the Salkstream acting as an endpoint?

Sorry, I'm a little late getting into the Roon discussion.

Todd

Yes, Roon Core is integrated into the StreamPlayer.  You can use all the Roon Ready devices you want in your system and the StreamPlayer will handle all the heavy lifting.

- Jim