How to use a 220V Stratos in US?

Ferdi

« on: 9 Jan 2003, 11:20 pm »
I may move to the US in the near future. I have a Stereo Stratos that I'm very happy with but it is the 220V version (Europe).

As I see it, I have 2 options if I want to continue using the Stratos:
- Get Klaus to convert my Stratos to 110V
- Use a 220/110 transformer while in the US. I could also apply this solution to my CDP, Receiver and DVDP

I am mainly concerned with the Stratos at the moment. With all the other equipment, only the 2nd option is possible.

Which solution would be preferred?

I could see that I could actually get some benefit from using the transformer as it could be set up to deliver 110V balanced, or could it?
On the other hand, the Stratos seems to work best when drinking directly from the wall.

So, what do you guys think? (Klaus especially...)

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2003, 11:51 pm »
Hey Ferdi,

Happy new year to you and all of you other guys.

Come on in, Ferdi.  Where to ???

OK,  as for any conversion :::::  All Voltage conversions for any one of our units is absolutely, 100 % free, covered under customer service for any registered customer.

We've had even one customer who moved to Australia, for 2 months, and he took his gear with him,  hehehe.  So, change to 240 V, and then back to 110 V.    It's all free, my friends.

Late,

Klaus

Ferdi

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2003, 12:05 am »
Hi Klaus, that is what I call quick service!

That sounds like a great solution! Need to think on it a bit as I may force myself to buy DM or even Mono while over in US without import duty etc.

The company would like to see me in Seattle WA. I am not decided yet.

yes, it's late...

Hope you have a really great year for the family and company.

If I do make it to the US, we should try and go for coffee.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2003, 12:13 am »
Seattle huh?

Well I'd say it's pretty nice around here. And most people I know that've come here for work or school ended up staying. Actually most people I associate with around here aren't from here.

If you do end up out here you're welcome to stop by for a movie. I'm always up for watching something on 5" or 12" discs...

Ferdi

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2003, 11:04 am »
Hi Bubba, thanks for the invite. As stated, I am not decided yet. Quite some hurdles to jump still.

I may well be over there for a quick look-see in the near future and we could go have a beer somewhere.

Doesn't it get boring looking at these black LPs rotating? :mrgreen:

hairofthedawg

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2003, 12:58 pm »
Ferdi,

I grew up, debatable :D  in WA and highly recommend spending some time there.  I'd be there if I could, but I've never had luck finding the right kind of job there.  I think it's the most beautiful place I've ever seen on a nice day, but the trouble is at certain times of the year nice days are few and far between.  I didn't spend much time in Seattle so I can't speak specifically to it, but the surrounding countryside is gorgeous, lots of recreation wiithin nearly any amount of time.  Water, mountains,  watching discs spin...they've even got decent rugby there, at least by US standards!  Traffic's supposed to be difficult, but that's hard to avoid anywhere these days

You may not want to leave!

cheers,

Dick

Ferdi

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2003, 03:35 pm »
Hi Dawg, thanks for your comments. Seems that many like Seattle. Hmmm.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2003, 09:33 pm »
Quote from: Ferdi
Hi Bubba, thanks for the invite. As stated, I am not decided yet. Quite some hurdles to jump still.

I may well be over there for a quick look-see in the near future and we could go have a beer somewhere.

Doesn't it get boring looking at these black LPs rotating? :mrgreen:

LP's? :rotflmao:  Not I.

The 12" discs that I'm referring to are acrylic, not vinyl. :mrgreen:

Mmmm beer... :beer:

greve

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2003, 08:41 pm »
Ferdi, I'll report on my impression of Seattle when I get back from my short trip overthere next week. I'm leaving this Saturday morning - the family is thrilled (not)  :|

BTW, great service Klaus - I'm almost convinced I need one or more of your amps, and Ferdi has done some good (presumably free) marketing as well...  8)

Good luck with your decision - I know the feeling somehow  :wink:

Ferdi

Forgot this last option...
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2003, 10:48 pm »
Loan you my 220V Stratos and get a 110V one for my stay in the US... :lol:

As for free marketing: I can't make this any clearer: Get a Stratos, get the Groneberg cables (speaker, interlink) and don't look back.

Oh no, that's free selling. Oh man, I'm confused.  :?

Back to music.

edit: speling :mrgreen:

zapper

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2003, 04:17 pm »
Here is an idea :idea:  Check your current electrical panel to see if any 220v runs were done. If you are not using them (dryer or oven are the most common) you can use that circuit as your means of attaining the 220v you need. You could actually take that circuit into a small sub panel and create an entirely separate means of powering you system. If you have an electrician friend, they can easily determine if this is possible. I have an oven circuit that I did this with in my own home for a Denon receiver that I use in my theatre that runs in 220v.   Good Luck :D